Camping auto....

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Camping auto....

Post by J-man »

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good camping auto. Right now I'm looking at a Mikov with a saw (if I can get one!) I'm looking a Hubertus Camper Multiblade (altough it's more then $100 U.S.) Does anybody have any ideas?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Camper

Post by Vagrant »

Mikovs with the saw seem to be a promise for the future. That pretty much narrows it down to the Hubie [Great knife]. If you want to spend
even more there is the same one with Official [German] Boy Scout markings. [I wonder if being a Boy Scout Knife would cut you any slack
with the authorities?]
J-man

Post by J-man »

Ah hell in Northren Ontario were I will be camping in about a month no-one really cares if your knife is illegal. But I'm probably going to get a mikov w/saw from tanto in 3 weeks he said they'll be in wood and stag.
johnny blade

Post by johnny blade »

Hey j-man, How about taking a new DKW sandshark OTF? With it's large size and strong lock-up it would be just as good for fending off thoes hungry black bears as it would for camp chores! (just kidding!)
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

J-man, My choice would be the Hubertus, but you can't go wrong with the Mikov.

Johnny blade a bit expensive for a camp knife. The DKW goes for $500us at PVK, with the exchange rate into this monopoly money we have, i could buy myself a lot of autos from SKM. Maybe for christmas, i could get my wife to buy me one. :twisted:
Doofus Emeritus
King and Tyrant

Post by Doofus Emeritus »

Mr. Joint-Man,

For outdoor purposes, I reccommend the 37" SKM stiletto. It works well for chopping firewood, cleaning fish, opening cans of chili, cleaning your nails, fending off hungry bears and scrambling eggs. It also wroks as a good conversation piece around the campfire at night. I bet ya could dig that you 'ol cannabis cannibal. $650 at Tiny's!

Best Regards,

Bonz
In Search of the Eternal Buzz
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Bears?

Post by Vagrant »

For bears I recommend at least a .41 magnum, but I'll bet there is some silly gun law that frowns on the average person protecting himself. An axe
is messy but it usually works. For more routine camp chores an axe is almost ideal [along with any top quality knife]. A saw is nice but slower than an axe or hatchet.
Doofus Emeritus
King and Tyrant

Post by Doofus Emeritus »

Mr. Vagrant,

My best camping tool without a doubt is my motorhome. Parked alongside a lake or stream, it has all the ammenities of home, hence, motorhome. No more stumbling out after dark to find a place to go, no more food rotting away in the iceless icechest, beers in the fridge, Pink floyd on the boombox, a clean bed free of scorpians and critters, no cleaning utensils in the creek, and when the bears come scrounging for scraps, I just pop some caps in the air and there gone. I'm over 40, so the days of sleeping on rocks is long gone. It also works as an escape vehicle when visiting the in-laws.

Best Regards,

Bonz
In Search of the Eternal Buzz
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

CAMPING

Post by Vagrant »

Herr Bonz,
I prefer to stay home and watch the "outdoor stuff" on the T.V. I'll let the
young people "rough it". As a "senior citizen" I have to act my age.
A 27" Grizzly is nowhere near as dangerous as a Grizzly at 27". They look so "cute" on cable.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I don't know Vagrant, for bear i prefer the Safari 550 by AHR with scope. Bought this rifle a few years back and have not yet had a chance to use it.
J-man

Post by J-man »

Well I'm going real camping, anyhow I don't hunt altough I do fish a hell of alot and do like guns (if you like knives, you love guns, or adlest like guns) Anyhow I picked a micro-fish tool from Trambleys (my local fishing/hunting place) for my pop for fathers day. Thanks for the help guys anyhow I need adlest a 30.30 or a 12 gauge to fend of the bears :wink: , I'm not going up to James bay were there a polarbears or anything just incase.
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

I just got back from a camping trip, and took my Hubertus camper. I really like it. Especially on this trip, which was camping for 3 days at a really great music festival out in the boondocks.
The corkscrew and bottle opener really came in handy for opening party beverages, and the tiny blade is a great pipe scraper.

Totally unrelated to knives, but related to the trip if anyone has the opportunity to go hear Del Mc Coury and his band by all means do. Maybe one of the top bluegrass bands of all time at their absolute peak. Also on the bill Donna the Buffalo, kind of a country, psychedelic reggae band with a zydeco flavor, David Grisman, great mandolinist, Peter Rowan and Tony Rice, and the John Cowan band. Tony Rice, who is one of the greatest flatpickers ever sat in with Grisman the whole last of his set. Was awesome.
majorsteve

Post by majorsteve »

Like Bonzo, I prefer the 37" stilleto to deal with in laws who are outlaws.

Hollowdweller: I got that Del McCoury CD "Deeper Shade of Blue" a while back- gooood blue GRASS music. When asked by an NPR interviewer what it was like opening for the group Fish, Del said "the crowd just 'lit up'".
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Bear stuff

Post by Vagrant »

The latest hotshot wild-cat for the AR-15/M16 family is called the .500
Beowolf .45-70+ ballistics from the "Black Gun". Sounds like bear repellant to me. In a Shorty-15 easy to carry.
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Major Steve,

I wondered what Del thought of the crowd at this fest. All mostly dreadlocked folks dancing to him. He warmed up to them right away, since almost all of them knew and were requesting all of his songs, even the old ones. You could tell he really got off that everybody knew his music. After a point he would just stop after each song and ask what we wanted to hear, and then play it. Awesome. I bet he would have been a good warmup for Phish.He played probably 2 and a half hours.

The only time I ever saw Phish was at a tiny concert hall in Charleston. They were great. They encored with Fire, by Hendrix, then came out acoustic, and did the old bluegrass standard "The old home place.