Getting My Collection Started

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
WhitleyStu

Getting My Collection Started

Post by WhitleyStu »

After 25 years of collecting Damascus lock backs I purchased my first three automatic knives this month, thus starting in a new direction. The first was a Hubertus Standard Hunter lever lock and then a Microtech LUDT SF. Last week I received a Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops, which is my favorite of the three for its smooth action. The Microtech has a beautifully ground blade, but the two blue spacers visible through the back do not match the black handles. I was curious if I got the blue spacers by mistake or if these were correct. Also, the button on the Microtech is very rough when depressing where the much less expensive Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops is smooth as can be. I tried some lube on the Microtech button, but it still has a very “gritty” feel when depressing. As a retired machinist I can’t help thinking there is something I can do to “slick up” the button’s action. For my next purchase I have been looking at the Godfather with G10 BT ($$$). Yep, I think the dreaded “Godfather addiction” that I have read about here is trying to take a hold of this 52 year old newbie auto collector!!! I have enjoyed reading the posts here for the past several months and have learned a great deal. Hopefully I will be able to contribute when possible.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Welcome WhitleyStu. You're sure on the right track in starting your auto. Be careful with the GF, they can make offers you can't refuse. :lol:
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Grim

Post by Grim »

welcome hope you enjoy ur stay
DONT TREAD ON ME
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Welcome to addiction :wink:
joeybladez

THE BLADES SAYS HELLO!!

Post by joeybladez »

Welcome!
Freedom isnt free
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

welcome aboard

tryker
TOPFLITE

Post by TOPFLITE »

Welcome from me also. As a machinist, you'll appreciate the ProTechs -
IMHO they're the best American switch going for the money and worth
the extra. Good luck.

Mike
Honest, Honey. I'm only going to buy one more...
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

Whitleystu, That gritty feel is common on the plunge locks. I read once that some very careful honing of the plunger will cure this but I can't give you any specific direction.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Good morning sir,and welcome to the forum, in regards to the Godfathers they are the best knife out there for the money,but I must warn you they are very addictive :!:
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Blade Switcher

Re: Getting My Collection Started

Post by Blade Switcher »

WhitleyStu wrote:After 25 years of collecting Damascus lock backs I purchased my first three automatic knives this month, thus starting in a new direction . . .
Why not combine your appreciation for Damascus lockbacks with your new-found enjoyment of automatics?

Take a look at http://www.sunfishforge.com/index.html. This guy specializes in pattern damascus and a lot of his knives are autos. Better bring your checkbook, though . . .
Just one more and I'll stop . . . honest!
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

OK, no more talking about Godfathers, until I get moved into my new house at the end of September. I don't have the money right now, and I am trying my hardest to fight the craving... :wink:
- DaveB.
WhitleyStu

Post by WhitleyStu »

Grim, Vagrant, joeybladez, and TRYKER, thank you for the welcome. I think this forum is going to be a great place to learn from you gents.

Razor_54, TOPFLITE, tequiza, you have reaffirmed the actual existence of the “Godfather Addiction”!!! I went to the ProTechs web site and found a local dealer. They had the largest selection I have seen of any stocking dealer. I am a fan of carbon fiber and think that one may start the Godfather collection.

DaveB, I too just build a new house last December and am suffering from a money shortage. Things are just starting to level out since all the landscaping is done, 3 acres of grass is planted and growing, and the wife has the new interior items purchased. A new house sure steps on the credit card in a big way!!

Blade Switcher, the Godfathers with Damascus blades really caught my eye since I am a fan of Damascus knives. I will drop the hint to the wife and see if I can score one for Christmas (will have to be a VERY good boy).

Roccomo, thanks for the info on the gritty feel of the plunger. I called some local fastener suppliers today trying to find a set of Torx bits that are small enough to open the MicroTech so I can have a look at the plunger and mating surface on the blade. I may just order a set of Torx bits and save the time. BTW, what is the smallest size bit I will need to work on most knives? Will it be a T6 or a T5?
gunner

Post by gunner »

Hey, welcome. And I'm glad someone else notices the "scratchy" buttons on some Microtechs. A new Pro-Tech will also have a scratchy feel. I can only guess that it's the hard steel used that creates the effect. Repeated clicks over time will smooth out the button's action. But in time you may miss the scratchy feel it once had when brand new...just rotate the button, creating a fresh new side to make contact, and the scratch will be back!