Question about picklocks...

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
DaveB

Question about picklocks...

Post by DaveB »

Why are picklocks stilettos more expensive? Are they made better?

Also, how hard are they to close? I am a chronic nail bitter and don't have much nail to use for closing. :o
- DaveB.
magnum

Post by magnum »

Yes the materials are of better quality on picklocks than swivel bolster stiletto's thats why they are more expensive.

Once you get the hang of lifting the locktab you won't need fingernails to do it and for the most part the locktabs are easy to lift to close the blade.Hope this helps.

magnum
Knife Addiction??What Knife Addiction??
Saikuri

Post by Saikuri »

It's always been my opinion they have more tight lockups. As regards unlocking, some of the older fishtails can present rather a tough problem.
You Republican's better keep up!: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bunny.php
texasmad

Post by texasmad »

I think you will find with a little practice that using the side of your thumb is the best way to unlock the tab and I am not really sure why I like them better but I do. 8)
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Dave,

The real reason they are more expensive, is the demand. Most the antiques will fetch the big bucks, and since the hardcore collectors have swallowed up most the market on those, the newer ones are bringing in high dollars. Personally, I like the first bolster release transitionals more than the old picklocks, as they were the improved model over the picklock. Each to his own I guess.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
JR SWITCH

picklocks

Post by JR SWITCH »

I like the picklocks due to they seem sort of like the "original" or something. Iv'e noticed that the quality is a little higher, usually straight, tight, no gaps, everything fits well and they open with authority. Recently, however, I did get a new one that could not be released without using tools. I sent it back, and the dealer replaced it with a Massaro. Can't say I'm not pleased with that deal! ---JR
ragtime red

Post by ragtime red »

Bonzo wrote:Mr. Dave,

The real reason they are more expensive, is the demand. Most the antiques will fetch the big bucks, and since the hardcore collectors have swallowed up most the market on those, the newer ones are bringing in high dollars. Personally, I like the first bolster release transitionals more than the old picklocks, as they were the improved model over the picklock. Each to his own I guess.

Best regards,

Bonz
I think you are exactly right. The reason that those of us that collect the old picklocks like them is because they are old and made in an era gone by when craftsmanship reached its peak in Maniago. It's not because they were picklocks, they just happened to be picklocks. A swivel bolster allowed for a stiffer backsrping and stronger lockup. Theoretically, the emphasis if the knife were to actually be used as a weapon was that it opened fast and how it closed was inconsequential. If I were going to buy a new knife, a swivel bolster makes more sense and is an improvement. As you say, the first transitional knives had the quality, many had the pretty horn, and were the best of both worlds.
JR SWITCH

Post by JR SWITCH »

Ragtime, I totally agree---I have a couple of FB's and AB swivel release that are very close to the fit, finish and quality of the picklocks, but, they aren't a picklock. A Honda or Suzuki motorcycle is poss. better engineered than a Harley, faster than a Harley, more cutting edge than a Harley, but it's not a Harley. Same difference!---JR
Shioji

Post by Shioji »

are skm's pick locks otf or side opening?
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Shioji wrote:are skm's pick locks otf or side opening?
Side...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Psychotic State

Post by Psychotic State »

I know the FB's are a vintage replica of their old recipe... recently erected from the dead a few years ago. As mentioned, they have the solid brass lined bolsters, and they (IMO) seem to be more smooth, faster, and tighter that "classic" models. Frank takes pride in his picklocks, and they don't make many per year... so that's another reason they are more expensive. I also noticed that they're generally in nicer shape than the cheaper "classic" swivel bolsters. Higher polish on the bolsters and blade... better attention to cosmetic details, along with the mechanical.
Remember the good old days when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The backspring is astonishingly thin on the old picklocks :shock: Yes, steel is tough and can take thousands of pounds per square inch [in stress tests] BUT there is nowhere close to a square inch [MUCH thinner than a dime at the lock-tab] :idea:
Wolverton

Post by Wolverton »

...must...buy...one....find...out. must...buy....one...of...every...kind.

All your switchblade are belong to us now.
Laeeq

Post by Laeeq »

I have a very old picklock without markings on the blade.
It belonged to my uncle who served with the marines in Korea in WW2.
It has a boyonet blade and grey bone handle. The press-button is in the mddle of the handle. It has a very short lock slide.
It is 11 inches long with a blade width of 1/8 inch. It fires extremely fast, but has a small bit of play when opened.
Can anyone tell me who made this ?
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Laeeq wrote:I have a very old picklock without markings on the blade.
It belonged to my uncle who served with the marines in Korea in WW2.
It has a boyonet blade and grey bone handle. The press-button is in the mddle of the handle. It has a very short lock slide.
It is 11 inches long with a blade width of 1/8 inch. It fires extremely fast, but has a small bit of play when opened.
Can anyone tell me who made this ?
Not without a bunch of add'l info including pictures, but even then you can't be sure. There were lots lots of makers engaging in the fabled "cottage industry" in Maniago, and there still are a number of them,although not so many now. Even with a tang stamp, the actual maker would be a challenge to determine in most cases. One thing is for sure, an 11" with a blade about 1/8 inch thick does not sound like an old knife, certainly not in the time frame you allude to. Blades were a lot thicker 50 or more years ago, some approaching 1/4 inch.