question about cheap switchblades ( new to this)

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
azkid53

question about cheap switchblades ( new to this)

Post by azkid53 »

[color=darkblue][/color]
:P
Hello All,

I am fairly new on buying switchblades on-line and have a question.Are Italian style switchblades marked with "Stiletto" on the blade made in China ? or tiawan ?? How about the ones stamped Italy at the bottom of the blade? I also have 3 marked Italy Inox on the blade and have trouble opening one of them as I have to squeze it with 3 fingers "Hard" for it to open all the way, any sugestions on a fix ?? :P
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Welcome,
If it says Italy and has brass liners it is almost certainly Italian.
Steel liners are almost always oriental knock-offs.
As for Taiwan vs China unless the dealer left the sticker that says "Made in -----" on the knife I know of no way to tell. I've heard some rare, antique, Italian Stilettos had steel liners but I haven't seen any myself and [don't know for certain if it's true]. If they exist workmanship would be superior on these.
Dan-o The Ritalin Kid

Post by Dan-o The Ritalin Kid »

The ROMO stilettoshad steel liners on some of theier non-auto stilettos and possibly on the autos but I have only saeen a non auto
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

i have had stilettos that had stiletto engraved on the blade,from my understanding those are made in taiwan, a lot tighter than some of the old milanos i have seen, still if you put them beside an italian i think you will notice a big difference, a lot of people on this forum talk the oreintal knives down, some of them are made quite well, i have a boker gold magnum, i didn't think it was made in taiwan, or i never would have bought it, but it is a very well made sturdy knife very sharp out of the box!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

all my stiletto's come straight from maniago, and have "stiletto italy" or "italy inox" or nothing at all. you have to ask where it came from, if the seller is reputable, he'll tell you honestly. buy a classic italian stiletto from SKM and compare!
azkid53

Post by azkid53 »

:lol: Thank you all for the good advice oh before I forget has anybody purchased knives from the Beltrame website ? If so did your knife arrive o.k ? I live in Arizona where auto's are legal to own and carry so I am not breaking any law (state law) but I dont know about federal laws on importing switchblades.....See Ya :D
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. azkid53,

Mr. J-man can answer your legal questions by PM or email - He is mos' knowledgable in these matters (much as I hate to admit it!)...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

sammy da blade wrote:i have had stilettos that had stiletto engraved on the blade,from my understanding those are made in taiwan, a lot tighter than some of the old milanos i have seen, still if you put them beside an italian i think you will notice a big difference, a lot of people on this forum talk the oreintal knives down, some of them are made quite well, i have a boker gold magnum, i didn't think it was made in taiwan, or i never would have bought it, but it is a very well made sturdy knife very sharp out of the box!
tiawan's manufacturing capabilities should not be taken lightly! they have the same technology you would find in european/north american facilities, but with a much more affordable workforce! i can't speak for knives, but for instance, nearly 90% of the worlds TOP bicycle lines are produced in tiawan - to very exacting standards!

with all that said, why would you want to buy an "italian stiletto" that was made anywhere other than Italy?
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

i agree, not every one knows where to get a switch! if it wasn't for BA, i'd think that taiwan stiletto was a nice knife! now, every day of my life i will drop to my knees and thank GOD that i discovered the net and my new buddies at BA!! i just love dem stilettoooooooos!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

yup BA is the place for the good stuff!

i'm the same - a stiletto junkie! there are several US knives i'd like to own, but they are all so pricey that i'm still thinking about which one! got my eye on a protech "duke" tanto - anybody got one?
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

azkid53 wrote::lol: Thank you all for the good advice oh before I forget has anybody purchased knives from the Beltrame website ? If so did your knife arrive o.k ?
azkid,

Frank Beltrame is a true gentleman and a delight to deal with. Many believe that his stilettos are superior in construction and finish to those found on the AB/SKM site. I've had a mix of good and so-so from him, no different than from AB/SKM. Never had a bad one, though (no banana blades, wobbly blades, etc. expcept for a Jndiana swing guard that Frank replaced). Frank hmself made the 11" picklocks for the TSF forum knife about 18 months ago. These knives are of exceptional quality. I'm fortunate enough to have a couple (one with stainless bayo blade, one damascus bayo) of these in autographed wooden presentation boxes. If you have any questiosn regarding his products, you should send Frank an e-mail and ask. In my experience, he has always responded in a timely manner with all the information that I requested. His is a family-run operation that is in its 3rd or 4th generation of producing good quality knives. Give him a try.

Greyblade