Q's about inherited knife

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
bowman

Q's about inherited knife

Post by bowman »

I recently acquired an automatic blade knife - Hammer Brand USA and patent no's 2170537 and 2281782 on the blade. About 7 3/4 inches long open, push button opener with a lock-out that disables the opener. Mother of pearl sides, silver-colored end pieces, some tarnish on blade - but no knicks. Knife opens well, push button also unlocks blade to close manually. So, I have lots of questions. Like, how old is this knife, is it unique or collectable, what is it worth, should I store it open or closed, is it ok to play with it? The patents are 1939 and 1942, so its newer than that. As it was inherited, it has more sentimental value than monetary, so it is not for sale, I'm just curious. Any info greatly appreciated, THANKS!

PS I have a pic on my hard drive, can somebody explain how to post it? Putting the path and filename between the img tags doesn't seem to work.
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Send me an e-mail with the picture attached and I'll post it (upload it too my space) and if I see it I will know exactly what it is. Just use my e-mail on little tool bar thing bellow
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I own a Hammer Brand, non-auto. The only thing i know is that is was a New York based company that produced it's first official knife around 1911. From the info i have they started producing the Hammer Brand between 1911 - 1931.
Any knife that old in mint condition is sure to be a collectable, if i was you i would hang onto it.
As for auto's from this company i have no info on them.
blackroseblackstripes

Post by blackroseblackstripes »

If you go to ebay and do a search for Hammer Brand, there is a candy stripe auto up for grabs. Compare it with yours and see what it sells for. That'll give you a rough estimate of the value.
Stewed, Screwed and Tatooed!
bowman

Thanks guys!

Post by bowman »

Thanks for your responses!!

J-man, I sent the pic - let me know what you think.

Razor_54, that's interesting that it is from a new york based company, because that's where the knife was originally from. And the time frame is about right - it was my great-grandfather's knife in NYC.

Blackroseblackstripes, I looked on ebay, and that's what mine looks like, except my blade is longer (I don't think I've ever said that before truthfully!!!). And the side pieces are white and swirly. But it will be perfect for getting a ballpark figure.

One more question for you guys, as a general rule should leaf spring automatics be stored open or closed? It has been closed for probably 20-30 years, and seems to be OK, but I want it to last forever.

OK, thanks again.
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Here it is a little glare, Slappy sent me a display thingy something silimar.
What slappy sent me:

Your knife is probably a "Jack-o-matic" or a schrade/imperial tooth pick has bolsters on it though. It's probably a first production one.
Last edited by J-man on Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Switch 67, let fly...
switch67

Post by switch67 »

I would,but it looks like it's under control :roll:
Hey J-man that Jack-O-Matic photo looks familiar ! :?

slappy / psychoticsumo

Post by slappy / psychoticsumo »

i fouund the pic on a older post from the old site from switch 67... that his collection pic i sent to j man