William Henry's New automatics

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
horizonod

William Henry's New automatics

Post by horizonod »

William Henry is now making a new line of automatics with some new twists. A new blade material is being used that has a HRC rating of 67!!! It's called ZDP-189. These are also in titanium frames. Very cool but pricey. Here's a sneak peek.

Here is the "blurb":

William Henry has long been respected for their uncompromising quality in folding knives. Now Willim Henry has decided to make a limited quantity of AUTOMATIC FOLDING KNIVES. Willim Henry will be crafdting limited runs of automatic knives in very small numbers at extended intervals. In laymans terms that means that these william Henry automatic knives we are offering here are the VERY FIRST of a line that will be few and far between. All of the new William Henry automatic Knives will be serial numbered, come with a certificate of authenticity with all of the specs and the completion date and come in a full grain leather pocket pouch with spring clip embossed with the William Henry Logo inside a velvet lined hinge top blue leather covered precentation box. William Henry knives are known for attention to deatail and quality and these automatic folders are no exception. A great gift for yourself or someone special and a doosy of a collectable!

In addition to the above the B10-A100 Features a concernticly grooved titanium frame. Overall length: 6.15 inches / Closed length: 3.50 inches / Blade Length: 2.65 inches / Frame Material: Aerospace grade TITANIUM / Blade : ZDP-189 HRC 67
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.
Milu

Post by Milu »

Just in time for Christmas :P
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
texasmad

Post by texasmad »

William Henry's are great knives as far as the folders go but I just can't handle the price tag on them. I watched on ebay for 6 months trying to find one at what I considered affordable and never got one. :cry:
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

Does anybody know anything about this new RC 67 steel?
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

ZDP-189 claims a R[Rockwell] C[Cscale] 67 hardness rating.
Carbon is 3% [this is VERY high] almost cast iron level :!:
Chrome is 20% [also very high, usually such levels are "surgical" [like bed-pans] :wink:
Molybdenum and Vanadium are both more normal. Common sense would indicate it would be "glass brittle" and hard to sharpen but why would anyone make a knife from a material with those qualities :?: A strange composition I'd like to hear more about.
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

Vagrant. I found out more about this RC 67 steel that WH uses. Their blades are a laminated construction like the Iskilstuna Puukko blades. The outer laminate is a softer more forgiving stainless steel than the ZDP-189.

If you look closely to the picture above you can see the demarkation line on the blade.

The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Very nice lookin' autos! :D
So how many nickels, dimes and quarters would I have to save to buy one? :wink:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
LaBella

Post by LaBella »

muchos pesos Mr. The Falcon, sir!
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Really pretty shape to the blades!
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

LaBella wrote:muchos pesos Mr. The Falcon, sir!

How much is that in U.S. buck dollars?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

William Henry MANUALS are very nice but pretty pricey. The autos are really no more than the manuals oddly enough.

Jerr. In Lebelanese "mucho pesos" loosely translates into over 3 bills. Definately marketed to the upscale knifeknut.

JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

horizonod wrote: Jerr. In Lebelanese "mucho pesos" loosely translates into over 3 bills. Definately marketed to the upscale knifeknut.
Thank you, Mr. Horizonod!

Definitely too pricey for this downscale knife nut...
JerrBear
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

JerrBear wrote:

Definitely too pricey for this downscale knife nut...
Really, Jerr? I happen to know that you recently spent very close to three bills on a knife. :wink:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

JerrBear wrote: Definitely too pricey for this downscale knife nut...
The Falcon wrote: Really, Jerr? I happen to know that you recently spent very close to three bills on a knife. :wink:

Mr. Falcon,

Yeah, Right!

You can't believe everything you hear. Some people can be mos' sneaky and underhanded... :smile:
JerrBear
vernfonk

Re: William Henry's New automatics

Post by vernfonk »

Nice video on William Henry knives.

http://www.williamhenrystudio.com/art-k ... ing-lg.cfm