Hubertus knife sources

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Kukri

Hubertus knife sources

Post by Kukri »

I recently lost procession of a small Randall sheath knife. It had been my “discrete” carry knife and a dedicated companion and close associate to my Seecamp for many years. To help temper the Seecamp’s grief and loss (as well as my own weight balance) I have decided to adopt an auto pocket folder while the Randall’s replacement is being built. While I have a deep fondness for the classic Italian Stilettos (my father took my first one away from, four times, almost some thirty-eight years ago), the Hubertus Slimline seems a more practical choice. I would greatly appreciate information and recommendations as to a good source for Hubertus knives.
Thanks,
Kukri
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Hmmmm kurki sounds Japense... well If your Japenese asian or whatever Pvk.com has alot of hubertus and knifeshop.com does too.
spacer

Post by spacer »

Kukri: I would run with J-Man's advice, Jamaicans really know their switchblades;)

spacer, location: Moon(obviously)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Kukri

Post by Vagrant »

Kukri [varoious spellings] is a knife used by the Gurkhas of Nepal.
Not very good for stabbing but great for removing the odd arm, leg.
or head of an enemy. If an angry Gurkha is coming towards you with
a Kukri and you don't have a gun it will be a very bad day. The British
have a few small units of them in the British Army. They have always
performed with great heroism.
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

Mr. Kukri,

You can't really go wrong with a Hubertus and my guess is that once you get use to having it around you'll end up carrying the Seecamp, the Randall and the Hubertus.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Roccomo is right: you can't go wrong with a Hubertus. But be careful, leverlocks will grow on you and before you know it you may be a leverlock addict.

Jim
Kukri

Post by Kukri »

Many thanks to all who replied. PVK does indeed does have a Hubertus Large Slimline Hunter with Stag scales for 155, which looks exactly like what I was considering. However, they also have a Protech Godfather Tactical for about 35 more. In honesty, I have never handled either one. The Godfather looks very appealing, but the Hubertus looks looks like it is more of a work horse. I see I may lose some sleep over this.
Thanks again.
Kuri

Note: I wanted to attach a picture of my own Kukri which was given to me by one of the gentlemen that Vagrant has so aptly described, but I can not figure out how that is done.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Kukri

Post by Vagrant »

We're even on posting pics. I haven't a clue no matter how many times
it has been explained. You're ahead on the Kukri I paid for mine and lost it during moving to my present dwelling. I shall obtain another someday
and this time get the real thing from Nepal not the Army Issue made in India. Great knives!!!!
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

Kukri,

I've got a Godfather and a couple each of the Hubie SlimLine and Dalton Companion (PVK $175). All are great, high quality knives for work and/or play. I don't think that you can go wrong with any of them. My current regular carry is a black and camo Companion. I like its look. So many knives, so little time ...

Greyblade
Kukri

Post by Kukri »

Vagrant
My Kukri is almost certianly issue India made in India. I have never tried to research it any. Beyond its sentimental value, I love its overall utility. It goes to the woods with me almost everytime I go out. Its a hand axe, draw knife, shovel, machete, and more, all rolled into one. great for starting conversations on the trail too. Some where I have some URLs for where you can order Nepalese Kukris if you are interested.

Greyblade
Thanks for the comments. How do the Godfather and Hubertus compare from a cutting edge perspective? I seems to me that the Hubertus blade might be easier to use as a cutting tool and to keep an edge on.

Kukri
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

Kukri,

Actually, the 154CM steel of the Godfather's blade takes and hold a better edge than the 1.4034 of the Hubertus, IMHO. That having been said, the Hubie is not at all shabby. Either one of these knives, along with the Dalton Companion with its ATS-34 blade, is a fine, high quality cutting tool. The Godfather also has the most acute point that I have ever encountered on a knife. I have a number of small scars on my hands to attest to that fact. I really think that you need to (not "should" or "might") get one of each and decide for yourself. I'll bet it will be a tough call.

Greyblade
Kukri

Post by Kukri »

Greyblade
I think that you have wisely struck at the heart of my situation. It is after all a matter of need (by the way, I can feel the rationalization lobe of my meager brain beginning to fully engage). Surely it would irresponsible of me to expect one knife to provide all the functionality that I require (what ever that is). And besides, I have two hands.
Kukri
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Spacer, Jamicans know there Marijuna . I'm too sure about their knives, but I do know about my knives. :roll:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I have been having the hardest time getting the general context of Greyblade's last sentence across to my wife. That is, that I truly need, and not simply want, more switchblades. Suggestions anyone???

Jim
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Ghurka man,

I have 5 Hubertus leverlocks and a Protech Godfather also. Just my opinion, but Hubertus is more practical for cutting things up and general work. Also you can get multi blade models. I have a camper with corkscrew, screwdriver, little bitty blade, bottle opener and big blade. I also have one with a saw. Knifeshop is cheapest, but the ones I bought here in the US seemed to be a little better quality. Maybe they screened them better. PVK is excellent. The one I got from them is probably the best snap, fit and finish. I really want the one they have with the 2 blades and saw, but haven't got one yet.

The godfather probably has a better blade steel and grind wise than the hubertus, but it is more of a one purpose knife. To mess somebody up. Bad. Fast, razor sharp and needle point. If I used it for general work I'd almost be afraid of hurting myself. The point is so sharp you really have to watch.

Another kind of split purpose knife I think is the Microtech L UDT.
Sharp pointed but good utility too. Dalton makes one called the seal and I think Protech has one too that is similar. These knives are great but not near as beautiful as a Hubertus. Another knife I have that is pretty utility is the AKC Fish picklocks. I have 3 of the smaller ones and they are great.

While we are on the subject- does anyone have any of the F Beltrame leverlocks? How are they? What about the ones on the leverlock. it site? Do they lock up tight? Brass liners? How do they keep an edge?