Hubertus knife sources

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Steel

Post by Vagrant »

Greybeard,
For a demonstration of old fashioned O-1 tool steel see videoknife.com
and watch Josh work out with a SandShark.

Kukri,
One of the best sites is Himalaya Imports.com
I used mine for many years to split kindling for a wood stove.
Virtually never had to hit anything more than once.
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

jim d,

Try this on the wife:

You have (obviously) developed a strong affinity for automatic knives. Since this is the case, you have a deep academic interest in the performance, materials, craftsmanship, and applications to which the objects of your interest may be put. This is, after all, a very interesting hobby that is more than just getting a mechanical device and fiddling with it. You want to find out about and understand the intricacies of the mechanisms, the metalurgy, and the ultimate utility of the knives as tools to do various cutting and puncturing tasks. You can only really gain such knowledge for yourself through experimentation and comparison. Since this is the case, you need to get a variety of similar, but subtley different knives for evaluation purposes. Only by experimenting with them can true conclusions regarding their respective benefits and disadvantages be achieved by you, or anyone else. After all, if all you've ever eaten is McDonald's burgers, it's gourmet food unless and until you have something else to compare it to, right?

Whew. I'm all tuckered out now.

Greyblade
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Greyblade,

Thanks, this approach should work quite well for me. I have spent the last quarter century doing process development work for manufacturing companies. As such, I can wax eloquently on the need for certain sample sizes required to achieve desired levels of statistical validity. I think that I can wordsmith this one just fine.

Jim
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

jim d,

Plus, you can use the statistical process development argument to justify why you would need more than one of each type of auto. You can't really tell much unless you have a valid sample size, now can you? :wink:

Greyblade
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Greyblade,

Most assuredly not. I will have to assess within-the-model, model-to-model, manufacturer-to-manufacturer, blade type-to-blade type, scale type-to-scale type, as well as other sources of variation. The ultimate sample size should be in the thousands, don't you think?

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Sample size

Post by Vagrant »

To be truely valid you would have to own one of EVERYTHING.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Maybe more than one, so within-the-model variation could be assessed.
Doofus Emeritus
King and Tyrant

Post by Doofus Emeritus »

Mr. Jim D,

Just do what I do, get HER a nice automatic that she can play with. When Mrs. Bonzo started giving me the evil eye everytime a new blade arrived, I devised a plan to throw her off track. So I ordered her a Blond Horn 9" bayo. She loved it. Then she eyeballed a leverlock I recently aquired. I made her trade up for that one. Things are running pretty smooth now. Just food for thought there my good man.

Best Regards,

Bonz
In Search of the Eternal Buzz
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Bonz,

Thanks for the tip. As it turns out I have a 9in blonde horn dagger blade (among others) that just "cleared the hurdle". I'll try your approach when it arrives.

Jim