for fun

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Iblis

for fun

Post by Iblis »

why'd you get into switchblades and what do you use yours for?
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

Hi Iblis,I still remember as a young boy looking in the local fishing tackle shop window at the display cards of stilleto switches.Even when they were replaced(after the ban) with stilleto lockbacks, I knew you could still get them from him under the counter!Being to young for this I got my first one at school.Then later,as I live in U.K.,it was the old cheap day return to France to stock up on supplies.I don't carry one but collect them for fun!If I could I would buy more antique ones but the only ones I ever see for sale are in U.S.A. and noone over there,what I know of, ships to U.K. So to make some of the ones I have more unique I customise them.Just carved and soldered my first set of nickle silver bolsters on a 9" stilleto.I'm practising my filework at the moment.Slowly improving day by day.Anyhow whatever the reason you may collect them,whether they be the most rarest of knives or just cheap switches, we are all the same at heart.Big kids,but who cares!Have fun collecting.Cheers the spotlight kid. :)
majorsteve

Post by majorsteve »

Iblis,

We had a long thread the other week about why we started playing with switchblades: was it books, movies, bullies, etc., however, an equally interesting question is "what does one use them for?" The italian style "switchblade" stilleto is not just another automatic opening knife. It is a weapon designed for mayhem. The aesthetics of that killer design are very attractive to the eye and spark the imagination because of what we've seen or read or otherwise experienced. The variations of several knives in terms of lengths, blade types, scale material, etc. provides a great deal of visual interest when several pieces are displayed together. Another "function" of switchblades for collectors and enthusiasts is simply the fun of opening them. No matter how many times you fire open a switchblade it's always a kick. The metallic clAk! sound they make is very pleasing to the ear and when combined with the weight and feel of a good blade in the hand is emotive in that it gives one a sense of well being and empowerment. There is also the fidget factor. Everyone who has even one switchblade knows how much fidget quality there is in sitting around flicking it open. After I got my first switchblade I actually had a blister on my thumb from pulling back the bolster to release the blade...just so I could fire it open again. It's a fascinating mechanism. Also, you could hurt somebody really really bad with one if you had to.
blackroseblackstripes

Post by blackroseblackstripes »

I'd have to say movies and the design of the Italian stiletto got me into switch blades. Finally after years of skepticism over international shipping I ordered one. I got it and was hooked. Then I found out about Tiny, and I live near Boston and it only take 2 days to get to me(amazing). So I went nuts. In the past 3 weeks since I got my stilletto I've ordered another stiletto, 3 lever locks, 2 front openers, a swing guard, a mikov, and a S.W.A.T. I have to slow down, my wife is going to flip. And I swear at night I sit there and play with them all. And if I see one in a movie or on T.V, I have to go get mine and play with them. Man I love switchblades. Sometimes I carry one, especially if I want to show them to someone who would be intrested. I think the italian stiletto is more of classic show piece, I would'nt use it to cut things, it feels like more of a self defense knife. Thats why I ordered a S.W.A.T.. I had a manual one when I was younger, that was my carry knife. So I will probably make this one my new carry. -later
Stewed, Screwed and Tatooed!
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

When I was a kid I found any folding knife to be super interesting. I saw stilettos in the movies and ,of course, thought they were cool. One day, at about eight years old, I was in the local tackle shop with my dad (who was at the counter talking to the proprieter). I was wandering around the store and a friend of the owner was also in the store. He came over to me and put his hand on my shoulder and turned us both away from the counter so that no one there would be able to see what we were looking at. He pulled a stiletto out and flicked it open - sort of to show it to me on the sly. It was like some kind of really cool magic trick. I asked if I could try it and he said no way. There has not been a day since then that I have not wanted to own and carry automatics. That was 30 years ago and I'm still just as into them as ever.
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

When I was little my dad rented me rebel without a cause I thought they were cool! For a recent report about 2 years ago for school was on the book the outsiders, they had an option of doing a movie novel comprassion. Thats what sparked my love affair with switchblades again, One night I did a search for switchblades, found skm... rest is history.
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

Mr. Iblis, You also asked what we use our autos for. My leverlock (always with me) gets used to cut paper, sharpen the occasional pencil, removes staples, opens every kind of package, has knife, fork and spoon duty if none are available and can also be used to impress your friends. I walk to keep in shape and then I never leave the house without an 11 inch stiletto (in case a dog or other nasty creature should try something) for some self defense. Nothing feels better ,when a large dog charges at you with evil intent in his eyes and no owner in sight to control him, than a big blade in hand...at the ready.