My Swinguard from Swinguards arrived today

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Benkei

My Swinguard from Swinguards arrived today

Post by Benkei »

Firstly, in fairness to Swinguard, I wanted to post this first on there forum, so as they had the right of redress, but I have just spent over an hour on the Swinguard forum trying to post this but the server is still returning a critical error.
That said, I sent a copy of this review along with photo's to Brad and Susan over 10 hours ago asking for there opinion /response,.
As yet I have had no return of email.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Below is a my personal assessment and review, it's written with honesty and with no loyalties or biases, other than to the truth and as an information to you the reader.

Boy, was this morning good (other than having a gum infection because of two extraction's last week :roll: )
I received 2 knifes, one a traditional French Laguiole knife and the other, which I wish to go in more depth about, a 11" Swinguard with Dark Horn Scales, which has come from Swinguard.

With the recent posts on the blade forums regarding Swinguard, I thought I should post my experiences.

I ordered a 11" Swinguard with Dark Horn Scales and dagger blade from Swinguard on 23 May 2005.
After not receiving anything by the 2nd of June, I dropped a message to Swinguards, the reply was:

June 2nd
Yes, it was sent! But yesterday I got a letter from US Customs! Since I know you and you have helped out immensely with the forum...I'll send another (from my collection) out tomorrow.
This seemed OK, but then I seen the posts that were happening on TB forum, and I think *understadably* I got a little jittery.

The parcel
When the parcel arrived this morning, I assumed it was from Blade Auction, as I have an order due, but no, it was from Swinguard.

So the delivery took just 7 days, which is excellent as I do not live in the States.

I will not mention the service, as Im not sure if that would be stepping over the line, but it's a service I am very familiar with from ordering small items, from the States before, mainly sword and M-A related.

The packaging was the most professional I have ever seen, bar non.
Within the main package was a box, and within the box the knife was securely wrapped and taped and addresses again in case of separation, and cushioned by paper either side. Within the final wrapping the knife was wrapped in a a new yellow duster. Certainly, and without doubt top marks.

The knife
The knife itself, is a Frank Il Beltrame 11" Swinguard with Dark Horn scales and a Bayonet blade, not the dagger as I ordered, but Im, erm, OK with that I guess, and with a very nice Swinguard logo stamp on the blade.

To nit pick, and I re emphasise this is perhaps nit picking, there are just a couple of small scratches on the scales, nothing major, and being new to S-B's, not sure of the quality standards that should be expected anyway, but whatever, certainly does not really detract too badly from the knife itself, also a scuff on the blade.
The blade fires nice and strong, and sits centre and square, it has a beautiful mirror polished blade, unfortunately marred by a horizontal scuff

Summing up.
I really like what Brad and Susan are trying to do, and the ethos behind it, on that I would like to back them 100%.

Injecting something new is always controversial, but in this case I think it could prove very good, certainly in way of diversity in Swinguard styles.

Are there issues to be sorted? without doubt, yes!

But this has to start at grassroots again, building up trust and integrity which can only come from the company itself.

Would I buy from Swinguards again?
Yes, but the caveat to that is , quality and choice would first have to be 110% in place.
That is, a gurantee on quality, and a gurantee that what is ordered is what you get!!

Am I happy with my purchase, hmm yes, albeit less than expectations, and the item has a *used* and not new feel :roll:

Regards
Bill
This is no time for levity! :roll:
Swinguard

Post by Swinguard »

Benkei,

I've been at work since 6:00 am today and just got in 8:06 pm. So, unfortunately I have not been able to respond to you. Thank you for your kind words. I have been waiting anxiously for an email from you telling me that you received your knife. Thank you for your confirmation.

Susan
the spotlight kid

Post by the spotlight kid »

But what about the condition and wrong blade style? Any explanation? Or is it all a pig in a poke type thing? Just interested as I was considering an order before all this fiasco! :shock: Cheers the spotlight kid. 8) `
A CARROT IS AS CLOSE AS A RABBIT GETS TO A DIAMOND!
Swinguard

Post by Swinguard »

Benkei,

I can send you a replacement knife in about six to eight weeks when we get the daggers in. Meanwhile, you can play with that knife until then. I will confirm a date when it is closer. Just send back the knife that you have after you receive the replacement. Please let me know if this is acceptable to you.

Susan
swordoftruth

Post by swordoftruth »

Well, I have to say that I haven't ordered from this guy, but if I bought a knife that was supposed to be new and got one with scratches on the scales and a scuff on the blade, I certainly wouldn't rate that as 'satisfactory'. And if I got the wrong blade style also that would be enough to send me to the PO to return it and demand my money back!

Furthermore, if I ordered a knife with a dagger blade and got something else in that kind of shape, and then was told I'd have to wait for around TWO MONTHS to get the product I ordered, that would be the last time I'd ever buy from that dealer.

I don't understand how someone who paid good money for a new knife could accept the product described above and be anything but disappointed.

I buy from about half a dozen dealers off and on, depending what I want, and if any of them ever send me defective merchandise, it'll be my last purchase.

I know one thing - after reading the above, I won't be buying from swingguard!

SOT
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

Oh SNOT,
Who the hell are you; really? Why is your opinion worthy of consideration? Maybe you actually are somebody of substance, or maybe you’re not; your timing is suspicious. While you make a couple of points (that are becoming passé) you have no history here so sound like yet another “forum war” wiener dog.
Rats...
p.s. In anticipation of a response commiserate with your ilk; "Oh yeah?!" and/or "Bite me!"
sheep-free since '93'...
Benkei

Post by Benkei »

OK, sorry good people, but this could be a long one :roll:

Firstly ratstuph, what SOT (swordoftruth) said I think should not be dismissed out of hand because he/she *apparently* has very few posts.
We are all adults here, I think we can work out that SOT is *probably* a psudoname of an established collector/enthusiast.
Indeed, what SOT said does actually sum up my personal emotional and gut feeling!
In truth, I would be quite surprised if many of the fellow forumites here would not understand, or feel the same way?

But lets try, for everyone's sake, to be constructive and move on. :wink:

As a new collector to switchblades, I read with great enthusiasm the collaboration of Swinguard with FB, the new models and variations proposed, and all to carry there unique Swinguard logo, which is like manna from heaven to a collector.

Ironically though, if you are to appeal, and direct your sales to the collecting community (which they do) then quality control has to be paramount.
A1 with 100% reliability. Certainly that which is in there control.

Yep, Im new to collecting switchblades, I take that aboard, but for fear of sounding arrogant, I have quite extensive experience in the sword collecting community, there are many similarities

I still believe in the aims behind what Brad and Susan set out to do, and hope with all my heart (for the sake of the switchblade community as much as anything) that it all comes to fruition.

What they set out to do and to achieve is admirable, bodacious, and all things being equal, should be supported by us all in the community.

In return, Brad & Susan, you need to treat your clients / customers with equal, if not greater sincerity and integrity.

Things happen, for sure, but from what I have read, and experienced this is becoming a suicidal (business wise) habit, lets work to arrest that! 8)
Swinguard wrote:Benkei,
I can send you a replacement knife in about six to eight weeks when we get the daggers in. Meanwhile, you can play with that knife until then. I will confirm a date when it is closer. Just send back the knife that you have after you receive the replacement. Please let me know if this is acceptable to you.
Susan
That is a most generous and praiseworthy offer, thank you Susan, particularly the offer of sending a replacement before the return of the one I have now, indeed a righteous offer, and addresses my last couple of comments very well.

Due to shipping costs, and what is more important the blue meannies or the peoples of 'C' who we do not talk about, extra 'traffic,' particularly in view of recent 'claimed stoppage's', perhaps is not the best idea.
If I lived closer I would accept your kind offer in the blink of an eye.

Like many I guess, I am on a low fixed income, but as a mark of good will on my part, and to fortify what I stated above, that is to support your switchblade idea's, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.

I still have 2 outstanding orders, the S-G forum knife and the kriss bladed swinguard.
In the vein of being constructive and moving forward, can we come to an agreement on those 2 orders?

A % reduction that is mutually acceptable?
I am not after a free lunch! :wink:

Most importantly and fundamentally:
Your *total* assurance that they will be individulally quality checked, and to be of A1 and pristine condition before dispatch?
I know by your care in packaging, this is well within your capabilities :wink:
These knives, due to there nature, are aimed at the collector, so must be to collectors standard.

In turn, I will post an update and review, of the 2 above items when I receive them, whether good or bad.

If, for any reason a batch comes through that is not up to standard (it happens with the best) you will either inform us of that, and give the option of purchase or to wait for a new batch, (without holding on to our money too long of course :) ).
And if a replacement is to be sent, to confirm with the customer first if it's acceptable, but that said, it's always best to supply exactly what is ordered.

I sincerely and wholeheartedly hope, the recent 'issues' can be learnt from and addressed, and Swinguard will go on to add to our community, which Im sure is possible and will be advantageous to us all, providing the change's happens right now. :wink:

As SOT quite corectly pointed out, 6-8 weeks is a long way off, but the pre-ordered blades I mentioned above, were coming in a lot sooner, so we *might* be able to resolve this much sooner?

I look forward to your respose.

kind regards
Bill
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Mr. Benkei,

You, sir, are to be congratulated on your approach to this whole matter. No whiney BS, name-calling or veiled allegations, you stood up and made very good points with great clarity. Instead of rehash and accusation, you have come up with solutions to the problems instead of generating new ones or dumping more fuel on those that are still raging.

I greatly admire your forthrightness. It truly is a refreshing change from the all too common anonymous hit pieces that show up here and really serve no constructive purpose (other than allow the rantor to rant against the rantee.)

I would recommend your approach as a model to guide others with similar issues to share.
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

Ben,
The troubling component (to me) is when the total contribution of an individual (SOT) is to bash a business of another individual with whom the individual (SOT) has no dealings (at least none that SOT noted). You had a deal that wasn’t up to your expectations and you detailed it—very reasonable. Re:
Benkei wrote: Firstly ratstuph, what SOT (swordoftruth) said I think should not be dismissed out of hand because he/she *apparently* has very few posts.
We are all adults here, I think we can work out that SOT is *probably* a psudoname of an established collector/enthusiast.
But lets try, for everyone's sake, to be constructive and move on. :wink:
kind regards
Bill
Point taken.
adbd
Rats...
sheep-free since '93'...
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Natch.... NO no no!!!

We don't want ALL the complaints and constructive criticism to be so clearly defined!!! .. theres' no fun in THAT!!.. :twisted: :twisted: .. gotta give the accused room to manoeuvre sometimes.. 8)

All the best
Teddy

PS.. good post Bill.. very good. :wink:
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

natcherly wrote:Mr. Benkei,

You, sir, are to be congratulated on your approach to this whole matter. No whiney BS, name-calling or veiled allegations, you stood up and made very good points with great clarity. Instead of rehash and accusation, you have come up with solutions to the problems instead of generating new ones or dumping more fuel on those that are still raging.

I greatly admire your forthrightness. It truly is a refreshing change from the all too common anonymous hit pieces that show up here and really serve no constructive purpose (other than allow the rantor to rant against the rantee.)

I would recommend your approach as a model to guide others with similar issues to share.
I wholeheartedly agree Natch. This is how adults should state their case. I call it the SGT Joe Friday ("Just the facts") method.

No flame, no sugarcoat, no rah rah, no bias at all just the straightforward facts. :wink: Bravo Benkei! :P .

Newbies take note. If you have a question and it is framed objectively as Benkei has framed his, you will get objective answers. :mrgreen:

I have a tangential question just for my own knowledge:

Is there a reason you order from the US? Being across the pond it would seem ordering from Itally or Germany would be more feasable. Do you save the VAT? (how much is that?) Are the shipping charges comparable?

I only ask because I've always wondered why so many "across the ponders" purchased their cutlery from the US.

Thanks.
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.
collysbali

Swingguard

Post by collysbali »

Sounds like your an honourable person Swinguard...This story has me wanting to purchase some knives from you. It's not everyday that buisness and honesty are mixed together.Ive had some bad experiences purchasing my knives from others not getting what I wanted..I admire your honesty.Thanks :D
swordoftruth

Post by swordoftruth »

'ratstuph' (how appropriate) said - "p.s. In anticipation of a response commiserate with your ilk; "Oh yeah?!" and/or "Bite me!"

A. In reference to your above comment - Don't expect a reply in kind - I'm far too intelligent to allow myself to sink to your 6th-grade level.

B. I am indeed an experienced collector. I spend thousands of dollars a year on knives, swords and other 'sharp' collectibles.

C. The kind of people I deal with are just as likely to send me knives for perusal/inspection BEFORE I send them any money - because I've established myself as an honest and trustworthy person.

D. The only time I accept steel with defects is if the product in question is an antique. A 'new' knife that arrives with defects, is returned immediately for replacement or refund - which most reputable dealers are happy to do in a timely manner.

E. I have better things to do with my time than try to communicate with people who have already made up their minds and won't allow any facts to distort their point of view. That's kind of like trying to talk rationally about religion with Osama Bi Ladin.

I won't bother you fine folks again. Let me just say - 'Caveat Emptor'. (Perhaps someone would be kind enough to translate that for 'ratsup' and others who seem to lack the education...)
Last edited by swordoftruth on Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Benkei

Post by Benkei »

Wow, Im fair blushing with the accolades from such esteemed persons & peers of the switchblade World.

:roll: This is where I blow it by being really cheesy and saying Im just trying to do the right thing, and contribute my tiny bit for the switchblade community :oops:

horizonod wrote:
Is there a reason you order from the US? Being across the pond it would seem ordering from Itally or Germany would be more feasable. Do you save the VAT? (how much is that?) Are the shipping charges comparable?

I only ask because I've always wondered why so many "across the ponders" purchased their cutlery from the US.

Is there a reason you order from the US?
Yep, there's only one Stu711. :lol: :wink:
Actually that's a very good question horizonod, and I guess it's easier to answer from the outside looking in.

As it happens, I have made several orders from Europe, but it *can* be a little more problematic.
Some of the shipping charges you would not believe, just from one European Country to another, the quote is much higher than from the States, by twice the amount!!
You guys just make it much easier to strike a deal. 8)

I have another order also from another European Country underway, but it has taken many emails and phone calls to get underway, with no doubt largely to me being inexperienced in the ways of knife retail.

I did sincerely mean what I said above, I really like what Swinguard are planning to offer, the different swinguard blades and grinds they want to put on the market. It really is a winner.

kind regards
Bill
ratstuph

Post by ratstuph »

swordoftruth wrote:'ratstuph' (how appropriate)
Why thank you!
swordoftruth wrote:I'm far too intelligent to allow myself to sink to your 6th-grade level.
"6th-grade!" Hey ma, did you hear that? I got promoted; all that time wearing the helmet sure paid off.
swordoftruth wrote: E. I have better things to do with my time than try to communicate with people who have already made up their minds and won't allow any facts to distort their point of view.
What "facts?" You offered opinions.
SOT, my objection is to the piling on whereby we don’t learn anything new about a dealer other than opinions of those who have not dealt with that particular dealer. While some dealer’s behavior is so corrupt that they target themselves with every add/auction, some are excellent and others are truly questionable. I do want to know about all, just I prefer to hear/read real experiences. Otherwise we might as well just have a poll that is nothing more than a popularity contest. Ben is a big boy; I doubt he needs anyone’s agreement in stating his case. OK, I don’t actually know how big he is, but I do know he is really old, and all old people look big to 6th graders.
swordoftruth wrote: I won't bother you fine folks again.
Does that mean you are going away? Why would you go away?
swordoftruth wrote:Let me just say - 'Caveat Emptor'. (Perhaps someone would be kind enough to translate that for 'ratsup' and others who seem to lack the education...)
:cry: :( :? Dude, you misspelled my name; you made it sound/read like a condiment.
sheep-free since '93'...