Imitation Horn

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Greyblade

Re: Imitation Horn

Post by Greyblade »

Jim - It wouldn’t be much of an “enduring question” if it didn’t persist, right? Tucson, AZ is nice and hot and dry and really okey-dokey if you like cactus. Lots of neat critters here too. My sainted wife and I will be moving back to PA soon. Time to retire and let the grandkids infect us with all the diseases that they pick up at school. Makes COVID seem like the sniffles.

To get on topic, I got a Large Don from Protech a few months ago. It out-Godfathers The Godfather! A truly snappy and intimidating instrument. You should get several for yourself!

Past my second and going into my third childhood,

Greyblade (or “El Bladeo de Gris” as our gardener would say)
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Greyblade,

Interesting that you mention the Protect Don. I decided to get one last Fall but the usual outlets were out of the models I would have liked, so I bought a Kershaw Launch 8 instead. It, along with the Godfathers, are the only knives in my collection that I actually fear.

Enjoy the grandkids, hope you have a bunch! My wife and I are still hanging tough with 0.

Jim
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Greetings Mr. Greyblade! Glad to see you return.

Your retirement plans, going from the Sun Belt to the Rust Belt, somehow seem contrary to what many others are doing. Being a contrarian is not a negative here, however. Welcome back!!
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

Natch - Thanks for the welcome back. You should know that eastern PA, Bucks county specifically, is not “Rust Belt”. It’s actually pretty rural. The place where we’ll be living is 200 yards from a creek and about 15 miles away from a state park with a good sized lake. I am currently in the mode of amassing fly fishing stuff! So where do you live? I want to know so that I can give you a bad time about it.

Jim - 5 grandsons ranging from 13 to 3. Teenagers and rig rats - a daunting combination. Fortunately my sainted wife and I can return them to their parents when we’ve had enough of them and pretend to be tired. I’ll teach them to fish and use obscene language appropriately.

Grandpa Greyblade
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

Jim - That reference should have been to “rugrats”, not “rigrats”. I’ve got to pay more attention to my spelling of snarky remarks. I’ll give them all springers fo Christmas.

G/B
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

G/B,

5 grandkids and all boys! Must be something genetic going on there. Otherwise, wouldn't the random probability on that be 0.5 to the fifth power, a small number indeed? Coincidently, a friend of mine has 5 grandkids, all girls. I'm certainly not implying that having grandkids all of the same gender is a bad thing. Glad you are enjoying them and able to return them to their rightful owners when you have had enough. :lol:

I'm sure Mr. Natch will have something to say about his home turf.

JIm
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

G/B,

Forgot to mention in my last post that I can't be of much help in the fly fishing department as my fishing is salt water focused. On a humorous note, back about 20 years ago I was having a dialog with Al (Vagrant) about fishing. He was an avid fisherman in his beloved brook in N.H. and his remark about salt water fishing was "none of the salty stuff for me - when I fish I want to be absolutely certain I will be the only great white involved in the activities." Sadly, All is no longer with us.

Jim
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Greyblade wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:59 am Natch - Thanks for the welcome back... So where do you live? I want to know so that I can give you a bad time about it.
Grandpa Greyblade
We currently live in California, however, it has become more and more difficult to justify staying here. Crime, especially gangs looting stores, engaging in hot burglaries, breaking into cars, etc., has gotten way out of control. People don't bother filing police reports as the cops don't spend time on these matters. Why? Because the DA won't prosecute property crimes, and lets other thugs skate "in the interests of justice". It doesn't help that the media and politicians look at the raw statistics and proclaim there is no spike in criminal behavior. They must not get out much.

We now routinely carry heavy duty pepper spray. Carry permits are only for the well connected politically. We no longer live in a civil society.

There, you can't give me much of a bad time after all that. :mrgreen:
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

natcherly wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:35 am
Greyblade wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:59 am Natch - Thanks for the welcome back... So where do you live? I want to know so that I can give you a bad time about it.
Grandpa Greyblade
We currently live in California, however, it has become more and more difficult to justify staying here. Crime, especially gangs looting stores, engaging in hot burglaries, breaking into cars, etc., has gotten way out of control. People don't bother filing police reports as the cops don't spend time on these matters. Why? Because the DA won't prosecute property crimes, and lets other thugs skate "in the interests of justice". It doesn't help that the media and politicians look at the raw statistics and proclaim there is no spike in criminal behavior. They must not get out much.

We now routinely carry heavy duty pepper spray. Carry permits are only for the well connected politically. We no longer live in a civil society.

kinda makes ya wanta puke, then move to a state wear you can protect your self if need be.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

TRYKER wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:40 pm
natcherly wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:35 am
Grandpa Greyblade

kinda makes ya wanta puke, then move to a state wear you can protect your self if need be.
We can blast away in Indiana other than that we got corn.
2024 candidate for president
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

Natch - Get out of the PRC (Peoples’ Republic of California) as fast as you can for your family’s and your own sake!!! Lots of PRC license plates in the Tucson, AZ area in the past year. It’s way cheaper to live in the Tucson area, but housing prices are being driven up. Also, it’s easy to license, buy and carry artillery here - even commercials for gun shops on the radio. It’s hot (100 degrees +) sometimes, but as the classic AZ phrase goes, “It’s a dry heat).”

So why am I moving back to PA? Because it’s nice to see green plants that are not cacti, and the bulk of my family is back there. Yes, I’m getting soft in my old age. That, plus it’s hard to find fishing spots when you live in a desert. Maybe I’m crazy ( a strong possibility!). Maybe it’s because PA is closer to Maniago than AZ is. IDK. Maybe just a higher grade of imitation horn available there (to get back on topic).

Greyblade
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

I just ordered a Benchmade Infidel OTF Automatic Knife from BladeHQ. It’s a double action OTF that looks like a down-scale Desert Shark and is not as pricey, although it’s not cheap either. Have any of you loyal Talkbladers have one or have an opinion about the knife? I look forward to your comments.

Grey”OTF”blade
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I don't own a Benchmade Infidel but did get to handle one a couple of months ago. OTFs are not my forte, so my review is not worth that much. The knife surprised me with its heft and solidity, something I wasn't expecting from a double action. It felt as if it could withstand considerable actual use, something I did not sense with other double action OTFs I have handled, but then I have never held any of the legendary Desert Works knives.

The circumstances of me handling the knife are a bit amusing. I was at a social event and an acquaintance approached me and mentioned that he heard that I like knives and asked if I had ever seen a switchblade :lol: All I said was yes, and I have some switchblades. What I was actually hoping for was that he would offer to let me drive his Shelby Cobra GT500 that was sitting outside, but no such luck...

Jim
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Jim, any news on the Mayberry crime wave?
2024 candidate for president
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Sammy - things have been mostly quiet. Sometimes I'm amused by the titles of the charges. Here are a couple of examples:

"...Forsyth County Sheriff's Office charged a woman with one felony count of aiding and abetting impaired larceny". What is an impaired larceny? Is it a failed attempt at a larceny, or is it attempting a larceny while impaired?

"...Forsyth County Sheriff's Office charged a woman with one felony count of speeding to elude arrest". Well I think we all know what happened here...

Jim