Best work knife?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
RunningWithScissors

Best work knife?

Post by RunningWithScissors »

Today at work I relized the knife I was useing was not a suitable knife for the job in wich I was applying it to. I was trying to cut a rope that's about 3/4" of an inch thick and it took me like 2 minutes!. In some situations I might have to cut a rope that can be up 2 inchs thick. I know the knife is not the sharpest but I have decided that i would like to obtain a automatic knife for work purposes, because of the simplicity of opening and possibilty closeing a knife with one hand. I am currently useing a classic hunting knife that was handed down to me from my father. A friend and fellow co worker uses a boker top lock with a serrated edge. I was thinking of makeing this knife my choice but would still prefer something a little more heavy duty.

:D Any help would be greatly appreciated :wink:

Thanx
RunningWithScissors
Any guy can kill another person with a gun!!
But it takes a real man to get up close and STAB!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Rope is one of the materials that a serrated edge is quite good for cutting.
RunningWithScissors

perfect work knife

Post by RunningWithScissors »

a knife with a serrated edge cuts rope like hot knife through butter. But not some any old wal mart $5.99 made in korea special will do 4 me. Also since i work on the water i think it would be ideal if it could float. But haveing a knife that floats is proabley too much too wish 4.

I am all open to suggestions people, and it dosent really have to be perfect!

Thanx

RunningWithScissors
Any guy can kill another person with a gun!!
But it takes a real man to get up close and STAB!
The Falcon

Re: perfect work knife

Post by The Falcon »

RunningWithScissors wrote:a knife with a serrated edge cuts rope like hot knife through butter. Also since i work on the water i think it would be ideal if it could float.
What you need is a "FSPK" (Fully Serrated Pontoon Knife). :wink:
Just kidding! :D
If it doesn't have to be an automatic, then I'd suggest something like a Spyderco Endura or a Cold Steel Vaquero Grande (probably the wickedest folder ever made) and then use a lanyard to keep from losing it.
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

if you were wanting a non-auto that can take the hard work but wont cost a mint - i doubt you could go wrong with a spyderco merlin or harpy or civillian...all three are fully serrated and made to kill rope :twisted:

if you want an auto try a microtech UMS or miniUDT with serrations,
they use 154CM steel which i have always liked over other popular steels
like ATS34 or AUS8... all serrated blades are not created equal...
good blade steel is important too!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

If they still made them [HINT, HINT] the one in the middle we be a good choice :) Especially if you have to cut other materials also.
These have not been made for several years and it would be VERY NICE to see them return [hint, hint, hint] :wink:
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

don't waste your breath al - they aren't listening :wink: :roll:
floater

Post by floater »

If you want an auto, you might think about trying a Magnum or a Kalashnikov.... They aren't true Bokers, but I think Boker has something to do with their production in Taiwan. They are inexpensive ($20 - $30.... maybe less if you get lucky on BA) and very well made for the $ IMO.

~ Both come in plain & 1/2 serrated blade.
~ Both are coil spring operated.
~ Both have safeties (some of them are nice & tight and some a little less so).
~ I have knives that hold an edge longer, but these resharpen easily.
~ I don't like the fact that the pocket clip and the lanyard hole oppose each other on the Magnum.... I would rather the clip be in a tip-up position.
~ The Kalashnikov doesn't come with a clip but does have a lanyard hole.
~ Neither floats...... but you could attach one of those foam rubber floatie boat key-chains to the lanyard hole. :wink:

If you lose, break or drop one of these in the H2O, you're sure not out much dough. :D

floater
It's all here before your eyes / Safety is a big disguise ....
That hides among the other lies / They divide and conquer.
monk

Post by monk »

Running,

I too, worked on the water for years. On commercial fishing boats, I would have to cut all types of rope. Although a serrated blade will cut rope very well, it can get dull real fast. Especially if the rope is water logged with sand embeded in it. I could never get a serrated blade to sharpen very well. You might want to re-think the serrated blade if it is old nasty type of rope you are cutting.
monk
yavcon

Post by yavcon »

I'm with Vagrant on that blade. I only have one, and it is my everyday work carry. It's the eight inch though. What an awesome knife. I noticed there was a Mikov "forum knife" ???? What if we tried to get SKM or AKC to do a batch of a hundred or so???
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

yavcon wrote:I'm with Vagrant on that blade. I only have one, and it is my everyday work carry. It's the eight inch though. What an awesome knife. I noticed there was a Mikov "forum knife" ???? What if we tried to get SKM or AKC to do a batch of a hundred or so???
if they will :?: please put me down for # 9 :D
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

yavcon,

Given that our forum is sponsored by SKM and Massaro, perhaps we should approach our good friend Michele. (Mick has a relationship with David regarding mutual website advertising, which is one of the reasons that we have a Mikov forum knife).

Vagrant and others have been asking for more of these leverlocks for a while. Perhaps if many of us ask, it will become apparent that it would be a good business decision to resurrect them. Maybe not as a customized forum knife, but as a production model.

Jim
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Vagrant; You keep showing us that picture just to make us jealous dont ya.
RWS; Try a Dalton Companion, or if price is a concern, try a Preadator, at $20 those knives are hard to beat, the 154-CM steel blade alone is worth more than that.
blackjack
Take Care
blackjack
'...I'm warning you...if you say Jehovah once more...'
'Women are experts at finding a man's faults and then constantly reminding him of them'
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Get a Kershaw Blackout, Sharp as hell, fast as any auto but no legal issues. Can be had for around $40-50 and is worth every penny.

SD
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

Microtech LCC/DA but it'll cost ya.