I'm rather disappointed

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
stick

I'm rather disappointed

Post by stick »

Just bought my second knife from AB in Italy. It's a 8" brass and stag lever lock. I haven't seen such a rough peice of junk since the last time I went to a Florida flea market... in fact some of those $10 Mexican knives looked better than this. The brass is deeply tarnished and dented. The steel babckstrap is rusted so deeply it can't be cleaned up. The handles must have been fit by a drunk. The pins in the handle are terrible... some are flush and some stick up so much that they snag the inside of your pocket. The pin on which the lever rotates looks like a peice of bent paper clip.

Is this par for the course with switchblades? I own a lot of different folders and belt knives and every one of them are of a much higher quality than either switchblade I bought. This leverlock was $122 with shipping. I just tossed it in the trash. :(
yavcon

Post by yavcon »

A few years back I placed an order from AB. The back strip of metal is rusty on all of them now, but I didnt really keep up with the mateneince. One of the knives didnt close all the way and was slow to open. I emailed a mention and they sent me a new one. As far as I am concerned, it's alright to screw up if you make good in the end. They were tops to deal with. As for the quality....if it operates fine, but the overall workmanship seems poor in comparison to other brass/stag levers in the $79 price range, perhaps a refund?
Overseas shipping for one item is hard to factor in as overall value.
Sorry about your misfortune.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Stick
To bad you tossed it. AB/SKM have great customer service and all it would have taken was an email to them and this whole matter would have been straightened out in your favor I'm sure.Check your rubbish.
PB
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Yavcon
The spring and back spring assembly is different steel because of heat treating which when done properly keeps your ckicker clacking.In other words it's not stainless but Carbon which must be taken care of or you will get that rust and darkness.
PB
yavcon

Post by yavcon »

Pushbutton wrote:Yavcon
The spring and back spring assembly is different steel because of heat treating which when done properly keeps your ckicker clacking.In other words it's not stainless but Carbon which must be taken care of or you will get that rust and darkness.
PB
What can I use to remove the rust and prevent future rust?
Thanks in advance.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

0000 steel wool, then oil. Simichrome, or a similar metal polish (don't use Brasso) will remove the tarnish on the brass.
Bill
stick

Post by stick »

What I don't understand is why anything could be shipping from AB in that condition in the first place. Customer service begins with quality control. They got my last dollar. I sure wish Case made a swtichblade.... or Randal.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Perhaps I'm showing my ignorance here (I seem to be good at that), but are the backsprings of modern Italian switchblades made of carbon steel?

Jim
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Yes.
Bill
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

i don't have rust on any of my blades :? even one that's 50 years old!?!?

no maintenance - no problem :lol:
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Bill,

You said a few posts back not to use Brasso. I'm curious as to why.

Thanks,
TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Brasso is too gritty to use on knives. The residue from Brasso gets into the mechanicals and gums them up, plus you can always tell when a knife has been Brassoed. There are white lines in all the crevices.
Bill
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Plus Isn't that stuff old? Wasn't it what the 3 stooges were selling in the hospitail? No that was Brighto is Brighto ok to use on your knives?
PB
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

And what's wrong with old???
Bill
stick

Post by stick »

It would have taken more than Brasso or steel wool to get that thing cleaned up. It was more than surface rust on the backspring. It was deep and pitted. I know I could build a better knife than that thing and I have absolutely no idea of what I'm doing. I'm sending an email to AB about this POS. I'll let you know "if" they respond.

Hey guys... one last thing... thanks for letting me vent without jumping all over me. That tells me ya'll are a class act!