I'm rather disappointed

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Jim,

I think you may have to wait a while for a 13 incher from BURN... the only ones he's made so far (I think) are the neo-Latama square-buttons.

There is one tiny thing putting me off the BURN picklocks.... which is something I didn't notice for quite a while due to not too many of his pics showing that part of the knife in detail.... he uses "straight" liners... he doesn't extend the liners under the front bolsters... which to me .. spoils the look of the knives.. it's very nice to have solid bolsters but it doesn't look right for the liners not to follow the shape of them.

So I'm just leching after his swingers for now... :lol:

Best wishes
Teddy
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Teddy,

You can bet that I'll be waiting a while for anything from BURN. It is called "money". With all I have going on right now, it is quite difficult for me to justify $1000+ for one knife. However, I have known to make powerful use of rationalization.

Check out page 18 on his website for a look at a classic 13. I too just noticed the liner thing. I'll bet that he would extend the liners based on a customer request.

Jim
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Oh like WOW!!

I hadn't checked his site lately..... it is GORGEOUS !!!

Perhaps he would use "full" liners on request ( I can't really understand why he doesn't use full liners on all his knives anyway... can it cost that much more.. ?? .. :? ) .... but alas.. I doubt that I'll ever find out.... :cry:

Unless I hit the lottery... :lol:

Best wishes
Teddy
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

Teddy: I keep coming back to this one- I think it's telling me something:

The first thing it's telling me is to scare up $1,800... :lol:
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. SK,

It sure is beautiful..... though I would prefer it without Damascus steel... it would be a lot cheaper too... :lol: his work is fantastic.

If ever I hit the lottery he will be kept VERY busy... 8)

Best wishes
Teddy
stick

Post by stick »

UPDATE... I received a reply from SKM. They are sending me another knife with their apologies. Looks like their customer support is alive and well. As soon as I receive it I will post a note.
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

WOO-HOO! It's Mr. Arthas by a length! That's great!

Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

jim d, wrote:Teddy,

You can bet that I'll be waiting a while for anything from BURN. It is called "money". With all I have going on right now, it is quite difficult for me to justify $1000+ for one knife. However, I have known to make powerful use of rationalization.

Check out page 18 on his website for a look at a classic 13. I too just noticed the liner thing. I'll bet that he would extend the liners based on a customer request.

Jim
Rationalization is your friend, treasure it :wink:
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Outside of the word "pricey" :cry: , there's not enough words to describe any of Burn's knives. No doubt it would cut into anyone's switchblade fund drastically, but well worth having at least one :lol: Believe me fellas :wink:
stick

Post by stick »

:?: What's the website address for Burns?
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Try this one I got from Abe...

http://www.burnknives1.com/homestartpage.html
stick

REPORTING BACK

Post by stick »

I thought I would report back and tell you that SKM customer service responded to my situation and replaced the first knife. The replacement arrived yesterday. There was no rust on this one and the fit and finish was obviously better than on the first knife. All would have been perfect if the thing would only open all the way and lock. It opens almost all the way. The blade was too tight in the pivot area. I think I have it working now after packing the pivot with some grinding compound and working it back and forth a few hundred times. After hosing it off with RemOil it seems to open all the way and lock up nicely most of the time. I guess it still needs to loosen up a bit. It's not perfect and I'm a bit surprised that someone didn't test this one before shipping it, but it's a whole bunch better than the first knife and I can certainly live with it. I wanted openly thank SKM for their timely response.
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Clean it out with WD40 and keep clicking and clicking it...it'll be snappy soon enough. Glad things worked out for you.
floater

Post by floater »

Mr. stick,
Also be sure to use a tight grip when holding the knife to open. Spring energy lost through the knife moving in a limp-gripped hand will sometimes make the spring seem weak or the pivot too tight.

floater
It's all here before your eyes / Safety is a big disguise ....
That hides among the other lies / They divide and conquer.
snowdon

Post by snowdon »

i kinda' prefer having them too tight to begin with, that way I can break them in the way I want to!