I'm rather disappointed

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Teddy wrote:We only jump on people when they're RUDE to us... :wink:

Best wishes
Teddy
being rude is worse than stealing ones FG :!: :wink:
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Teq wrote:
being rude is worse than stealing ones FG
teq
Still better put the cowbell on 'em :wink:
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Stick, try to remember that members here adopt crippled,neglected,fallen,insolent,dangerous,or abused knives.
When you collect knives you're bound to get some unimpressive workers.
SKM/AB has always honored any requests of mine to repair a knife I newly purchased from them that wasn't working properly.
stick

Post by stick »

Abe,

I guess I would have to ask why a new knife should need any repair? I'm happy to hear that you have had good service fron SKM, but on the other hand it seems that you have had more than one new knife from SKM that needed some attention and would question the reason for that.

In as much as I am new to switchblades, I am not new to quality knives, have many very well made folders and sheath knives. I would like to own a few quality switchblades of impeccable fit and finish. Does anyone make one? Price is not really a consideration as long as the product holds its value.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Hey stick, try some of the better American autos, good stuff.
blackjack
Take Care
blackjack
'...I'm warning you...if you say Jehovah once more...'
'Women are experts at finding a man's faults and then constantly reminding him of them'
floater

Post by floater »

Mr. stick,
When I found this and other switch sites 2-3 years ago, I was so damn excited to find out I could actually order & pay for a real Italian stiletto online and it would be delivered to my door. I spent a lot of time lurking here & there.... learning about switchblade types, terms, parts, manufacturers, history, etc. Before bidding/buying, I would use my newfound "knowledge" to ask sellers MANY detailed fit and finish questions about vertical and lateral blade play, alignment, the depth, centering and seating of the blade in the channel, scale/liner/backspring gaps, pin finish...... you get the idea...... answering my e-mails was a big pain in the ass for many sellers, I'm sure. In fact, the 1st time I wrote one of our favorite sellers here with one of my detailed inquiries, he wrote back and said, "I don't mean to be rude, but if you're picky, go away!".(How many members can guess of whom I speak?) Lucky for me, I decided not to go away and have gone on to acquire some of my favorite pieces from this guy. Anyway.... over time I've gradually learned that my expectations for appreciating and collecting Italian switches is not the same as with other types of knives and have adjusted my attitude accordingly. I have very few Italian stilettos with what you might call "impeccable" fit & finish. I do, however, love each and every one of them for what they are (beautiful, handmade, collectable individuals)...... not for what they aren't (good user knives). If you want a good user switch, take BlackJack's advice about the U.S. made switches.
However, if you too love the stiletto style.... and cost is really not an issue.... and you must have impeccable fit & finish, may I suggest you check out some of the stuff made by Nemo, Burn or PicklokPat. Or, better yet, PM one of the moderators here for the names of other custom knife builders that might better suit your needs. For as much as I've learned from the guys around here in the last couple years, I am still but an egg...... and knowing that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, will shut up now. :oops:

floater
It's all here before your eyes / Safety is a big disguise ....
That hides among the other lies / They divide and conquer.
Stone Knife

Here's a link

Post by Stone Knife »

I think you won't be disappointed: click the picture Image
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Stoneknife, I seen that a few days ago. It's an other winner :wink:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Floater,

Well stated, I can relate to your story.

Stone,

I'll bet that loose guards are not a problem on that one :wink:

Jim
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Re: Here's a link

Post by Teddy »

Stone Knife wrote:I think you won't be disappointed:
It's only a 9 inch..... :shock: I didn't think he MADE 'em that small... :D

Gimme an 11 inch every time.... in the absence of a 13... 8)

Best wishes
Teddy
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Teddy,

I think that I could get over the 9 inch length :lol:

Jim
snowdon

Post by snowdon »

Damn-It! Those Burn knives do something to me that is un-natural and probably boarders on un-healthy! :shock: :mrgreen:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

snowdon,

Well - at least unhealthy to your wallet. Although, perhaps thinner is better :lol:

Jim
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Jim,

I have to admit that when you get used to it the proportions on this knife do make it look rather "sturdy" .. though I could do without the skull and the rest of the fancywork and it would have to be at least 11 inches long... (with the same proportions) anything shorter just doesn't feel right... 8)

Best wishes
Teddy
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Teddy,

I'm with you on the skull and fancy stuff. My favorite BURN knives are his incarnations of the classis stiletto. If (when) I ever order one, that is what it will be. I'll bet that there are no backspring / liner gaps on his 13's! He even adds thin oil impregnared brass washers between the blade pivot and liners to eliminate "swoosh" marks.

Jim