Switchblade Storage

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
stick

Switchblade Storage

Post by stick »

:?: Which is the best way to store a switchblade... open or closed?
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

stick,

Copius postings of opinions regarding your question have come and gone on this forum. The consensus appears to be that it doesn't matter. Lots and lots of expereince derived from members of this forum indicate that open or closed for leaf or coil springs doesn't seem to make any difference at all. Some of mine are stored open, and some stored closed. Store yours whichever way you think that you and they will be happiest. 8)

Go in peace,
Greyblade
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Re: Switchblade Storage

Post by JerrBear »

stick wrote::?: Which is the best way to store a switchblade... open or closed?

Mr. stick,

You don't realize it, but you have just asked the "Mother of All Spring Steel Questions."

Mr. Greyblade sums it up quite nicely - The answer to your question is YES!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. Stick,

The natural "gut feeling" is not to store them closed because of the fear that the spring will weaken over time... and that is why many collectors including myself store them open, But in truth.. as has just been said ... it really doesn't matter. People have stored their knives closed for many years with no ill effects whatsoever. Leaf or coil... it makes little if any difference.

Best wishes
Teddy
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Open
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Common sense vs metalurgy 8)
From a metalugical standpoint it should NOT matter :idea:
Common sense indicates store them closed :!:
Store them they way you want :wink:
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Vagrant wrote:Common sense indicates store them closed :!:
????? Like why?? this is a new one to me.... :?

Curious
Teddy
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Copius postings

I like that :D

SD
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

stepdaddy wrote:
Copius postings

I like that :D

SD
Er...thanks, stepdaddy. :? I think that you need to get out more.

Copious good wishes :wink: ,
Greyblade
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

But won't storing them closed contribute to a proud blade eventually? Particularily with brass liners?
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

I keep mine open when stored, but they take up a lot more room...
It seems to me that when closed the knife is under tension and on some of the longer ones I have, 11'' and 13'', you can see a gap in the liners which is not there when open. Im sure the springs can handle being closed and will not lose thier spring tension if stored this way, but why bother putting the rest of the knife (button mechanism,pins,liners and scales) under tension while it is stored away?
0.2c
Jagman
right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think
I've forgotten this before.
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

mr_edge wrote:But won't storing them closed contribute to a proud blade eventually? Particularily with brass liners?
No. That's a myth. The constant pressure of the spring pushing the locking pin against the liner will do no harm at all. Wear is caused by opening and closing the knife.

Best wishes
Teddy
switchman1

Post by switchman1 »

We can go on and on about this forever, I have collected knives for over 40 yrs ,and I feel if you have a knife with a leaf spring it's always better to store it open, thats just the way I was told to do it a long time ago. I know other collectors will say i'm wrong or it doesn't matter but I digress......I stored one of my favorite knives closed for almost a year and when I went to fire it, it just barely made the lock tab (it was a picklock) so I used WD40and a prayer and it came back to life but certainly not as fast as it was, the blade was no banana, or scraping the liners, it was spring fatigue, now if this only happened to me, well Iguess that after 40 yrs of collecting I must be unique, is there anyone else that has or had the same problem out there, or I am the only one?
Best Wishes
Switchman1
Switchman1 Alcohol,Tobacco,and Firearms....... who's got the chips?
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

I love this topic, I store all of mine open. I do, however, have an old Imperial shell handled cheapie that my uncle got new way back when they were still available in every hardware store. I inherited it in 1987...closed. It had been in a drawer for nearly 30 years, closed, and was in near mint condition. I cleaned it up when I got it and its been closed ever since. The thing fires like a gun. I think the reason that it still works so well is that the spring is actually made of good spring steel and not pot metal like some recent knives use. The spring in that knife is definately not the same as what you get in a stiletto.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

I have a 1985 Ford 150 pick-up and it's been putting a couple of tons pressure on its' springs for almost 2 decades.
If the steel "fatigues", wouldn't it be quite a bit closer to the ground by now? :wink:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."