dalton companion or benchmade 3550?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
patnude

dalton companion or benchmade 3550?

Post by patnude »

gonna buy one of the two.can get the 3550 for $130.00,the dalton for $149.00.(tinys)what would be the better choice?i am familiar with benchmade quality,but never had or held a dalton.
iloveautos
TESSA3

Post by TESSA3 »

Dear Mr Nude,
A good choice, I have both,
They are so very similar in
fit, finish and quality, no
blade play, tight tolerences, I think its up
to you on appearence only.
Let us know which one you
buy.
Ever thought of a Pro-Tech
Godfather as yet another
option ?
TESSA3
"Straight to the point..."
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Nudey, Tessa's suggestions are very good ones, Although is this knife going to be a real working knife then I'd get the BM if it's going to be one in a case I'd get the godfather or the Dalton Companion. For A little less you can get a BM Mini-reflex great knife for moderate use and pufect' for carring although you will be mos' (never thought I say that) pleased with any of these knives.
patnude

Post by patnude »

thaught about the godfather,but too damned expensive.i can get the bm for $130.00.the dalton for $149.00.(tinys)just ordered a mikov from tinys last night.cant wiat to do some clickin with it!im not sure what the laws are in my state as to autos.i do know that they are legal for "curiouse"(whatever that means)and for collecting.knowing the cops around here,i doubt any one of them would turn it in and give me a ticket,or arrest me.hed probably just put it in his pocket and say"ill have to take this.they are illegal".one stole my butterfly knife (sweet benchmade) that way several years ago.i bet that s.o.b. still carries it in his pocket every day.he was GREAT at opening and closing it.had i little grin on his face when he took it.
iloveautos
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Patnude,

Last year on the old forum we had some input from our law enforcement officer members. The condensed version is that they have more to worry about than switchblade collectors. If the only violation is possession of a switch, then there is no charge. However, if someone is being charged with a real crime(s), and there is an opportinity to add a possession charge, they will.

Personally, it is not something that causes me any concern. I go about collecting realizing that it is about as much as a threat to me as driving 36 mph in a 35 mph zone. But then, I live in a state where there is a whole lot more law enforcement emphasis on those who actually commit crimes against others, than there is on those who arm themselves with various things. I hope it is the same where you live.

Jim
J-man

Post by J-man »

What state do you live in Patnude? And Jim well here the police like to bust people who arm themeselves then actually commit real crime(s), it's a felonly to carry any weapon here, to possess one in your home it's a misdameanor. Althought it is up to a court of law or a polcie officer (adlest for a few days) to determine if it is a weapon or not, for example one could carry a spyderco Police concealed and he just left work he COULD get charged but a court wouldn't allow it, but if you were downtown in bar you would get charged, it depends if you carring it as a weapon, self-defence is the same as weapon here.
patnude

where i live

Post by patnude »

i live in a galaxy far,far,away.no.i live in minnesota.what the hell is adlest?did you skip that much school?or are you that stoned?i could get pulled over with loaded gun in the car(as long as its in a duffle bag,hard case,etc.).since i am WHITE,employed,and dont have a criminal background,im fine.the cop will set it on the hood (depending on his mood,marital happiness,degree of hang over,etc) write me a ticket if nessesary,then tell me not to go near it until i cant see his car any more.but things like butterfly knives,switches,things like that,they like to take them home with them for the collection,or to carry on duty.i know many cops and they all tell me the same thing.they dont care if its illegal or not.if its questionable,they take it,let you go,and take it home.its a perk here!!!!!!!most people consider themselves lucky not to have gotten a ticket,or arrested,and let it go.but like i said,guns are different.i asked 10 cops i know what they would do if the department asked them to go door to door looking for guns to disarm the public.(gun control)all ten said they would quit on the spot because "they would like to see the sun rise the next day."7 of the 10 said they would go home and wait for some one to TRY to take his(or her)guns.minnesota cops.SCREWY!!!!!!!!!!!!
iloveautos
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I find the Benchmade a better every day carry and the Companion, best used to impress your friends. I just at time find it hard to use a knife like the Companion or Godfather, or the likes to cut a parcel or a slice of pizza. :wink:
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
J-man

Post by J-man »

Mr. Patnude, I was just curious. And for the record despite what many of you may think I do not have a criminal record, Although I am pro-gun/pro-knife and pro-marijuna legalization, I'm not going to go into details about it because I have before. But I was trying to ask a serious question, sorry for offending you. And are you a little bit of a rasict? And just because I use marijuna you think I'm a drop out? Or I skiped school and became a hood? Or a Criminal or a drug addict? There is alot of false pretenses about Marijuna if you want to beleive it or not. I've seen alot of shit in my life that would probably make most of you run to nearest chruch and wash your ears and eyes out with holy water. And well your right there are alot of bad cops but there are some good ones too, Most laws and Politics are screwy, come to Orillia Ontario where the hq of the O.P.P is, see some really screwy rogue cops.

And Razor I would reccomend adlest a 11" stilleto to slice thin crust pizza, and a 13-15" for cutting other sizes. :wink:
TESSA3

Post by TESSA3 »

Mr Nude.
Another great knife you may
wish to consider, and its in
your price range is the
G.T. TANTO blade, that PVK
sells, the fit-finish and lockup is very superior indeed. Mine is the all black tactical version. In fact, NO ONE has ever mentioned this auto on this forum, so tell us what you all think...
Cheers
TESSA3
"Straight to the point..."
patnude

Post by patnude »

razor,i agree.some thing like a gfather,or companion,i think,are for sitting in the safe or defense carry.using them for trivial little cuttings,or for work would be a crime!smoker,ive probably smoked more dope than you can imagine.as well as many other thing i will not mention.the thing is,realized what that shit was doing to me ay an early age and quit.i have MANY friends that still do that shit and they are completely fried.i do not hang out with them any more.dont want to get arrested.i dont know you so i dont know how its effected you,but my old friends are an embarresment,and i am very glad i quit so i am not like them.i do know a few guys that have been smoking for years and you would never suspect it.but most get very dull,slow,no common sense.like an old boxer.dont mean to offend.just going from experience.
iloveautos
J-man

Post by J-man »

Hey as I said I'm not a drug user, well what most of you would call I don't do heavy drugs. I'd prefer not to go into detail, but to most of you do I seem that fried and do I have a pretty good memory for a pot head? Hey I admit some of this shit isn't good for you, neither is booze, ciggerates, guns, knives but for most of them if you use it in moderation and your responiable there pretty much harmless. And for the record I've seen some real drug addicts, most of you probably couldn't even imagine it after I've told you. Thats why I'm pro-legalization so it's not run by the Criminal underworld and cut at every corner. Now I know there's some cops on his fourm so I'm not going to wave my flag arrest me or try to piss you off because you've probably been busting people like me, but hey I've never been arrested either. I only use weed the same as most of you here would use beer! Thanks for the experience but I know... but how's the weater down in there in Minnoseta, it's about to snow soon here.. it was summer a few days ago, now it's wind and rain. To be quite honest I live near Georgain bay which blows whatever is off of Lake Superior, since I live near a lake it about 90 minutes away it dumps all the snow and wind and rain on us. Now lets ligthen up this thing, instead of clutttering it with a bunch of drugs and poilitics bullshit.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. Joint-man,

Kindly post your address so the RCMP can find you...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
patnude

Post by patnude »

rcmp?
iloveautos
patnude

Post by patnude »

i wasnt bashing you.if you want to smoke go ahead.all my buddys that i used to get high with (ex buddys i should have said) are all crack heads and shit.would i be too,if i hadnt quit?dont know.i quit when i was 19,cold turkey.woke up one day,and thaught"im sick of being high ALL the time."havent touched any drugs since.been at partys people hand me a doob.i just hand it to the next person.never tempted.not once.noe im 36 and have a very smart,beutifull little girl,6,and im not going to risk being arrested just to hang around with the losers i used to call friends.like i said i dont know you and i am not judging you or any one else.(except the guys i know are total crack head losers.)its just the stuffs illegal,cops want to bust the people who have it,so i wont be around it.i used to smoke it and it was fun.back then.now i have a few brews on the weekends if i get a chance,but i never drink and drive.had a couple of d.w.i.s when i was younger.OUCH!!!!!!!!!wont do that again!
iloveautos