Three Shur Snaps

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Panzerfaust

Three Shur Snaps

Post by Panzerfaust »

Got these in today. They are not mint but they have never been used or sharpened.
Attachments
20240309_162153.jpg
20240309_162153.jpg (179.22 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
whippersnapper

Re: Three Shur Snaps

Post by whippersnapper »

Nice ones! It's great to see a few old Americans. It has been awhile.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

I like the cream color. . .
I don't have any of this particular style.

I have a few double enders, and "Snappys", and the "Fishing knife toothpick"
a bunch of Shure Snaps with the ears, and two cigar jacks.

My favorite Americans are those little cigar jacks with the pearl paper shell wrap.

I like how there is a metal embossed bump around the button, that shows thru the shell wrap.

I always thought that buttons with the outer hollow rivet, or shoe eyelet around the button looked sexy.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I remember when Steve Paolantonio of Colonial came to the Blade Show with a big box of Shur Snaps that were left over when they were outlawed in 1958. The knives were filthy and dry. I took him a tube of Simichrome polish and some oil and showed him how to clean the knives up. They were actually mint knives under the crud. I told a few people about the knives and Steve was swamped! A couple of hours later I went to his table. His hands were literally all black from cleaning, polishing, and oiling knives!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
john

Post by john »

Ho Matt,
Cool trio!!! I like the purple knife. Like Terry said nice to see old Americans.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Jim_mi

Post by Jim_mi »

In the 1960s, I was in a bait shop near Pontiac Lake, Michigan, and they had a cardboard box of these Shur Snaps on the counter for 50 cents each. We bought six between us, but they've all been destroyed or lost over time.

The old days...
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:44 pm I remember when Steve Paolantonio of Colonial came to the Blade Show with a big box of Shur Snaps that were left over when they were outlawed in 1958. The knives were filthy and dry. I took him a tube of Simichrome polish and some oil and showed him how to clean the knives up. They were actually mint knives under the crud. I told a few people about the knives and Steve was swamped! A couple of hours later I went to his table. His hands were literally all black from cleaning, polishing, and oiling knives!
That must have been before my time.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

No, you were there. It's been a while back. I was sharing a table with Walt.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:44 pm I remember when Steve Paolantonio of Colonial came to the Blade Show with a big box of Shur Snaps that were left over when they were outlawed in 1958. The knives were filthy and dry. I took him a tube of Simichrome polish and some oil and showed him how to clean the knives up. They were actually mint knives under the crud. I told a few people about the knives and Steve was swamped! A couple of hours later I went to his table. His hands were literally all black from cleaning, polishing, and oiling knives!
That's cool and it makes me wonder how many others are out there waiting to be found.I don't know the origin of mine but I would not be surprised if they recently came out of the woodwork. I recall a Missouri hardware store auction about 12 years ago when numerous Edgemasters turned up.I bought a couple of those when they were later listed on ebay.
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:42 pm No, you were there. It's been a while back. I was sharing a table with Walt.
Yeah, I do remember that. I think I bought something from you.