Beltrame Family

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
johns7076

Beltrame Family

Post by johns7076 »

I have accumulated a number of Beltrame switchblades with no regard for the maker. I don't really see much difference in quality from Armando, Frank or Renzo, although Armando seems to be a bit better quality.I am not a sophisticated collector, so I would appreciate opinions.
JulesVane

Re: Beltrame Family

Post by JulesVane »

I don't find a lot of quality differences either. To me, "Beltrame" covers all 3 names.Then, there is always that one may supply the blades, the other the liners...etc., all on the same knife.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
boots

Post by boots »

It seems the Maniago family is getting smaller, what a shame.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

boots wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:08 am It seems the Maniago family is getting smaller, what a shame.
Do you think traditional Italian knife making is slowly disappearing?
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

Blitz wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:58 pm
boots wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:08 am It seems the Maniago family is getting smaller, what a shame.
Do you think traditional Italian knife making is slowly disappearing?
I'm hoping this isn't the case. I've noticed they've tried driving towards more modern efforts above and beyond the traditional styles yet traditionals haven't been fully abandoned. Then there are the hybirds or middle-producers (Dolphin), I can't find a fitting term for their endeavor but can say those knives are pretty well done. My personal belief, and it may be wishful thinking, is that we'll see them come full circle and higher production numbers of traditionals will return. (furiously knocking on wood!)

Regards Beltrame in general, I concur with many of the comments here, pretty much the same knife unless it's for a Walt's run or something like that. Renzo is getting pretty good, too, these days. And honestly, the Frank 2.0 models are pretty sweet in comparison to older production runs. That said it's my opinion they're not as "hand-made" as older productions, from what I've read in some places. Such as parts being out-sourced. Personally, I have an affinity for the more hand-made knives that may or may not have flaws, depending in how you look at it. They're truly one-of-one opposed to ones produced primarily from CNC files, and those "flaws" remind you of the process and how they're made. Really they're characteristics! :wink:

On a different topic, it's been a minute since I last posted here, at least a year! I usually read the site but don't always login, and I'm glad I dropped by and will make an effort to return daily. TB is my Bible for Italian stilettos, so much good information and great people too!!

And Bill was right, my tastes have matured. I recently picked up a B.V.&F., now that's a well made Beltrame! But I must confess, I did also pick up a StrayDog skull-button recently as well!! They're definitely a weakness for me. :D

Anywho, it's good to see everyone, cheers folks!
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

For truly handmade examples, don't forget about the Sardinian makers.

Jim
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

NorthCarolinaDude wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:41 pm
I'm hoping this isn't the case. I've noticed they've tried driving towards more modern efforts above and beyond the traditional styles yet traditionals haven't been fully abandoned. Then there are the hybirds or middle-producers (Dolphin), I can't find a fitting term for their endeavor but can say those knives are pretty well done. My personal belief, and it may be wishful thinking, is that we'll see them come full circle and higher production numbers of traditionals will return. (furiously knocking on wood!)

Regards Beltrame in general, I concur with many of the comments here, pretty much the same knife unless it's for a Walt's run or something like that. Renzo is getting pretty good, too, these days. And honestly, the Frank 2.0 models are pretty sweet in comparison to older production runs. That said it's my opinion they're not as "hand-made" as older productions, from what I've read in some places. Such as parts being out-sourced. Personally, I have an affinity for the more hand-made knives that may or may not have flaws, depending in how you look at it. They're truly one-of-one opposed to ones produced primarily from CNC files, and those "flaws" remind you of the process and how they're made. Really they're characteristics! :wink:

On a different topic, it's been a minute since I last posted here, at least a year! I usually read the site but don't always login, and I'm glad I dropped by and will make an effort to return daily. TB is my Bible for Italian stilettos, so much good information and great people too!!

And Bill was right, my tastes have matured. I recently picked up a B.V.&F., now that's a well made Beltrame! But I must confess, I did also pick up a StrayDog skull-button recently as well!! They're definitely a weakness for me. :D

Anywho, it's good to see everyone, cheers folks!

Good to see you again NCD, I wondered what happened to you.

Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
boots

Post by boots »

Things are changing, with the passing of Tank you don't see any custom knives at Latama and they are starting to sell Victorium knives? Maybe the Beltram family will keep things going for a while.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Latama is working on some customs.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Squire80

Post by Squire80 »

Bill, I have been buying Lalamas one after another and would wonder what they might do in the way of customs. Are we talking engraving or some design changes? Or am I getting ahead of myself? I just hear Latama, and I pay attention -- John
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Custom handles, buttons, safeties, file work, engraving.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
boots

Post by boots »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:49 am Custom handles, buttons, safeties, file work, engraving.
We will stay tuned!