Latama switchblades

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Squire80

Latama switchblades

Post by Squire80 »

I just have a couple issues to clarify with the opinions of the group. I just received my third Latama and am looking to buy a fourth. I am slightly disappointed in the final quality of these high-end knives. The one I just got is a 9", bayo blade in Brazilian horn, the knife is a beauty. No problem with the looks and quality of the scales. The blade when locked open is noticeably off to the right from the spine and has a noticeable blade" droop". I bought this because I really wanted a couple picklocks in my collection. This was $540.00 retail -

The one before this one was a bolster release and when I got it the bolster could not be moved at all, way too tight. I had to close it like a picklock. after a few applications of WD-40 the bolster has finally loosened up enough, it can be used to release the blade. You could actually hear the grit that was hanging up the swivel bolster when forcing it to move. The blade on this one is completely straight but sits pointed up a slight bit when open and locked. This one was just under $500.00--

These are not uncommon problems with a $149.00 Frank B. I have at least five Brazilian horned Frank Bs with no issues at all. Blades are straight in all directions, easy to open and close, scales are absolutely beautiful. Am I just expecting too much from a knife that cost three times as much as a Frank B?

I wish there was an outlet that carried picklocks that did not have to be a Latama, but I haven't found it -- All of you that have Latamas, please let me know if I am just too demanding and picky. I just feel that for the cost, blade alignment and ease of operation shouldn't be an issue -- John
Twobit

Re: Latama switchblades

Post by Twobit »

Squire, my expectations are better than that on knives priced much lower than that. My second hand AKC shell puller is 100% tight with no play, blade is straight with the spine looking from the broad side. Looking down the back edge there's an almost imperceptible bend towards the front. When
closed, the blade is perfectly centered between the liners. Before the retail supply of them dried up, BladeHQ was selling the one in stag, like mine, for around $90. I traded a Medici valued at around $175 for mine a few months ago. My Hubertus shell puller has no deviation anywhere that I can detect. Bought retail from Hubertus USA for $329 plus shipping.Both have gorgeous scales in stag and ram's horn, respectively. Neither have so much as a micron of unauthorized movement when open.Basically I don't have as much into both of these knives as one of those latamas but I expect no less than the level of quality they present.
Squire80

Post by Squire80 »

I couldn't agree more. As you know, you can get an SKM, maybe good maybe bad, for maybe $90 or a little more, a Frank B, which is quite often very good, for over a hundred plus and are often well worth it. I've been paying $150 for my Frank B knives and most of them are so "right", they are keepers--I only have two 11's because some of the 11's and the few 13's I've had are crooked.

The Latima's show a lot of substantial build and good materials, good polish and finish overall, but it dampens the pride of ownership when showing it to someone and they notice the blade isn't straight. I just feel $500 plus should buy a knife that the blade has been checked for straightness and that it works properly. When I look at the photos on the web site, I strain my eyes trying to detect a blade that simply isn't right. Some of the sites show the knife on its back so you can see the blade is centered.

I have watched several videos of switchblade manufacture, and it is easy to see at what stage the blade should be checked for line up and corrected, but that step seems to not get much attention. It's just a disappointment to get a Latama, open the presentation box and notice an issue right from the start. Two I have bought in the last two or three months shouldn't have passed final inspection. I never saw one of the Frank B picklocks from a while back, but sure wish they were still available-- John
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You do know that Frank Beltrame makes the Latama knives?
Walt does the absolute best he can with his products. Tank Fisher corrected a lot of the Latama products for Walt, but Tank is gone now. I simply do not have the time to do that job. I have attempted to find people who are interested in working with Walt. There are damned few who are interested.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Squire80

Post by Squire80 »

I simply haven't been back on the forum for very long after many years of doing guns and motorcycles, so I am not even close to up to speed with who is doing what or working with whom here on the forum. I do think it's cool that you are here. I do remember your work from years ago and you are good, beautiful and functional designs - I did know that Frank is the maker and figured that they went elsewhere before hitting the market.

I am a complete fan of Frank's work. As I said earlier, many of the best in my collection have Frank B on the blade. John
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

John, we're discussing the possibility of a page for talking about guns on this forum. The thread is on the "revealed" page. Chime in if you'd like!
Squire80

Post by Squire80 »

I am older now and not the free spirit I once was. I also have a pacemaker, right side because not a good enough artery on the left. I wish I had thought to take photos of the rifles I had. Constantly buying shooting hunting and selling for years, I loved every minute of it but, no more recoil
[ pacemaker]
So, all the guns are gone. I'm down to just a couple small handguns.
I'm over 80 now and have a terminal muscle issue, so it's back to collecting switchblades. I don't have the strength anymore for the Harleys, but I sure miss them. I'll check out the gun thread. This is a great forum -- John.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

I'm sorry to hear of your health issues, John. We'd enjoy your input for sure.
Luke
boots

Post by boots »

Squire80 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:16 pm I just have a couple issues to clarify with the opinions of the group. I just received my third Latama and am looking to buy a fourth. I am slightly disappointed in the final quality of these high-end knives. The one I just got is a 9", bayo blade in Brazilian horn, the knife is a beauty. No problem with the looks and quality of the scales. The blade when locked open is noticeably off to the right from the spine and has a noticeable blade" droop". I bought this because I really wanted a couple picklocks in my collection. This was $540.00 retail -

The one before this one was a bolster release and when I got it the bolster could not be moved at all, way too tight. I had to close it like a picklock. after a few applications of WD-40 the bolster has finally loosened up enough, it can be used to release the blade. You could actually hear the grit that was hanging up the swivel bolster when forcing it to move. The blade on this one is completely straight but sits pointed up a slight bit when open and locked. This one was just under $500.00--

These are not uncommon problems with a $149.00 Frank B. I have at least five Brazilian horned Frank Bs with no issues at all. Blades are straight in all directions, easy to open and close, scales are absolutely beautiful. Am I just expecting too much from a knife that cost three times as much as a Frank B?

I wish there was an outlet that carried picklocks that did not have to be a Latama, but I haven't found it -- All of you that have Latamas, please let me know if I am just too demanding and picky. I just feel that for the cost, blade alignment and ease of operation shouldn't be an issue -- John
Then you might want to stay away from the Latama custom knives, the last few I've bought had wobbly blades and outrageous pricing.
Squire80

Post by Squire80 »

boots, at one point the prices kept me away, but then eventually, I had to find out what was the mystery of these higher end knives. In most ways, they are very cool and impressive. I have had four now, still have the last two and just ordered another. So far, my issues have been something too tight, or minor blade alignment. As to fit and finish, I have no complaints. Nothing on mine has been loose-
The swivel bolster on the one, has loosened up a good bit with the WD 40 treatments so that is no longer an issue. I just wish I could learn to be more accepting of a blade that you can see right off, isn't in line with the handle. A tiny bit of drop is a little allowable, but heaven help us if the blade points too high, it makes the whole knife look like it's "sprung", like someone put way too much pressure on it. That is just more than I can handle.
John
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

Send them back to Latama.

I can't imagine paying $500 or more for a knife and then keeping it even though it has flaws that make me unhappy.

One of the problems with the Italian switchblade market is that people buy flawed knives and then just accept the flaws, so the makers have no motivation to increase the quality of their product. Maybe if more people sent the knives back the makers would get the message.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
boots

Post by boots »

Killgar wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:01 pm Send them back to Latama.

I can't imagine paying $500 or more for a knife and then keeping it even though it has flaws that make me unhappy.

One of the problems with the Italian switchblade market is that people buy flawed knives and then just accept the flaws, so the makers have no motivation to increase the quality of their product. Maybe if more people sent the knives back the makers would get the message.
You're 100% correct, if more people returned their knives, they would pay more attention to QC. The problems with my knives are something I can correct on my own easier than sending them back. Once you see the work Tank put into these knives it's hard to let them go. :roll:
RON K.

Post by RON K. »

I have bought 5 Latamas in past 2 years.had problems with 2 Walt made it right. I intend on not buying anymore. I DO NOT WANT TO SPEND $800 PLUS ON A CUSTOM. and have to call on it if something is not right.
the last 2 i must admit great.He had told me done by Tank.
PERSONALLY The best out of the five.
Attachments
C-SW-CS-HG11688-w900_5000x.jpg
C-SW-CS-HG11688-w900_5000x.jpg (179.18 KiB) Viewed 5145 times
C-CL-CS-ND11815portrait_5000x.jpg
C-CL-CS-ND11815portrait_5000x.jpg (142.81 KiB) Viewed 5145 times
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Those are real eye candy!
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

just my 2 cents, my I suggest looking in to late 1940s, early 1950s Latama picklocks, our any of that era picklocks, I think that you like me will like the build quality.