Looking at the Kershaw Launch 17.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Looking at the Kershaw Launch 17.

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I really like the Clip Point blade! The 3.5" blade is enough to accomplish the task(s). I like the thin blade profile.

Any comments? Opinions? :?:
Fishtail Picklock
Twobit

Re: Looking at the Kershaw Launch 17.

Post by Twobit »

The 18 is more to my liking, but nothing necessarily wrong with the 17. The tapered grip is kind of a turn -off for me I suppose. I think the blade from the 17 on the frame of the 18 would be right up my alley.
Fishtail Picklock

I DO like the Kershaw Launch 18! The S35VN steel of the 17 would prove to be a better (read: more useful) blade.

You have a good eye, Twobit!
Fishtail Picklock
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Thank you, fishtail! I really have a big practical streak. Most of the knives I own are workhorses. The switchblades are my one weakness in the knife area. They are all just cool looking playthings, even the ones that are more robustly built, I won't use for anything rougher than cutting a package open or something of that sort. I have a nice folding utility knife that I carry at work and an assisted opener by Steel Will, gifted to me by a friend, that I carry for an EDC. It's all business, not very pretty, but very handy. Its blade is 3" and made of D2 steel. I also have a lot of all -around practical fixed blades aimed at woods craft, survival, camping, and the like.
Fishtail Picklock

Twobit,
I went to GP Knives this morning and ordered a Kershaw Launch 17 (I simply couldn't resist the urge). :) This should prove a light carry/companion knife to my Case Peanut in 1095 Chromium/Vanadium steel.

I know, I know. But, all told, it IS a useful knife! ;) :) :P!
Fishtail Picklock
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

It does look like a worker. I just like the frame on the 18 better. I also prefer the drop point, BUT not in that length. I want at least a 3" blade so the 17 would win for me as well. Congrats on your new purchase. Hope it arrives speedily.
Fishtail Picklock

Twobit,

I just posted an "I ordered the Kershaw Launch 17" thread a few minutes ago. I am having them ship by FedEx tomorrow so that it will arrive on Saturday morning to avoid any "porch pirate" problems.

I want this to be a "working" knife that is amenable to daily carry. (I work in a sports jacket, slacks, and dress shirt). As a Security Service vendor, I have to "dress the part". (This is my daily wardrobe, even when I'm NOT working). It is "just my style". :mrgreen: 8)
Fishtail Picklock
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

I also dress similarly whether working or not, except I'm jeans and tee shirts/sweatshirt. I like to have something on my person that will cut at all times other than when I'm in my pj's.
Fishtail Picklock

Twobit wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:57 pm I also dress similarly whether working or not, except I'm jeans and tee shirts/sweatshirt. I like to have something on my person that will cut at all times other than when I'm in my pj's.
I knew a woman who worked in her pajamas... Then again, she was arrested several times for engaging in "the world's oldest profession" last month.

Who knew? (I suppose that SHE did)!
Fishtail Picklock