Anyone got the new AGA Campolin ''Pattada''?(not happy)

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jackalope

Re: Anyone got the new AGA Campolin ''Pattada''?(not happy)

Post by Jackalope »

Good points Ken
Citruna

Post by Citruna »

I rx'd the new Pattada via 3rd party on Facebook. I thought I was handling a Korean Rizzuto as it looks chintzy. Wobbly but sharp blade has movement up/down, slight side to side, and is slightly off-center. Firing button is loose and cutout for it is jagged. I paid 70 bucks more than it appears it should cost; $75 tops. It does have a tight safety and an even cutout slot for it. Stamp is crisp and slight liner gap. Not a bad knife, but as with other Campolins I've had, quality control is lacking. Paid $145 for the Pattada and I'd expect a nice tight knife and a ROUND button hole.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

I don't have a single "perfect" knife in my collection.
(But I'm poor, only bought one real Microtech in my life.)

Aside from the fact you can't buy a $22 stiletto in the mail anymore.
I never expected perfection. . . .or even a better "Bang for your Buck".
I always assumed safeties would be loose, blades would be bananas.

I don't know if I'm not that particular . . (I'm stupid / gullible )
or after working making All-Clad pots and pans and spoons, , ,there is an expected production "Tolerance"

I think it's mostly because I experienced back in the 60's and 70's
when the old hand fitted assembly , where they ground/polished the liner edge flush with the backspring . . .
and the newer knives looked like a stack of pancakes.

and I did all my complaining back in 1976 . . .and nobody listened back then either.

Maybe I have a fondness for the crippled underdogs of the world.
A rescue syndrome.

I love it when Bill posts photos of restorations. / repairs.
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

jerryk25 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:28 pm I don't have a single "perfect" knife in my collection.

or after working making All-Clad pots and pans and spoons, , ,there is an expected production "Tolerance"

when the old hand fitted assembly , where they ground/polished the liner edge flush with the backspring . . .

and I did all my complaining back in 1976 . . .and nobody listened back then either.

A rescue syndrome.

good to see you Jerry. 8)
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Citruna wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:50 pm I rx'd the new Pattada via 3rd party on Facebook. I thought I was handling a Korean Rizzuto as it looks chintzy. Wobbly but sharp blade has movement up/down, slight side to side, and is slightly off-center. Firing button is loose and cutout for it is jagged. I paid 70 bucks more than it appears it should cost; $75 tops. It does have a tight safety and an even cutout slot for it. Stamp is crisp and slight liner gap. Not a bad knife, but as with other Campolins I've had, quality control is lacking. Paid $145 for the Pattada and I'd expect a nice tight knife and a ROUND button hole.
Thanks for the addition.I forgot also to mention the up and down play of the blade like if you pull hard enough it will release it self from the backspring lock.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

jerryk25 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:28 pm I don't have a single "perfect" knife in my collection.

A rescue syndrome.

No one demands a perfect fit and finish. It is handmade and of course there will be some quality deviations here and there. However, it should not be too exaggerated. The new Pattada is simply far from being a good knife. If it had cost 50 or 75 it wouldn't have been such a big deal. This is just a rip-off.
Citruna

Post by Citruna »

That really sucks. Bad enough with play but to have the blade release by pulling on it. Being a BOBC mechanism, I bel8eve the blade lock is actually the sear on the button as opposed to the backspring. Mine is good in that respect but if it did release without pushing in the button, I'd send it back. One too many things wrong!