Found this searching 'johnny cade switchblade "

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Re: Found this searching 'johnny cade switchblade "

Post by JulesVane »

Twobit wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:32 am Here's my Italian if you've not seen it before, Jules. Nice one, Jim!
There 'ya go! Nice!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Ian, I like the look of that one with the darkest handles in the group best. The blade shape and length set it apart. One thing I'd like to see is blades longer in proportion to the handle. That one looks more balanced in that way than most autos I've seen of any design. I've always wondered why the blades couldn't be just a little longer.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Chris ,Jim

Lovely clean examples shown here . 8)

Hubertus marked shellpullers are very rare ,can't see the maker of yours Chris but I looked for a German puller with those scales for years ,to no avail .

Luke
The AKC you have is very nice and pretty well proportioned ,handle to blade .My photo belies the length of blade on the darker one ,they are all the same really ,just a tad short imho .I also find the blade could do with matching the handle length .
You remind me of me when I got shellpuller fever ,I bought a modern hubertus ,which is a really good knife ,but then I wanted the shaped shellpuller bolster like on the early German examples ,the flat one just didnt do it for me ,and there are no Bills over here unfortunately .Would have stumped up the cash for one customised to my liking by him .

Both old and New have pleasing traits unique to themselves. Luckily after waiting I picked up my 2 early German examples really cheap from ebay in europe ,when I was looking for Italian and French knives .
Be careful on your path you can spend quite a bit looking for the right one of these ,just searching for it becomes addictive .
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Ian, you couldn't be more right. I'm hoping to be satisfied with this one and the AKC. I've been on BladeHQ's and Grindworx's "notify me when back in stock" lists since before Christmas 2021. I finally got this one in trade and I do really enjoy it immensely. It has very pleasing aesthetics to me. I like the combination of aesthetics and strength in the Hubertus. Mine is going to be in a very unusual ram's horn with an alternating grey/ black sort of pattern curving across the handle, or a smooth, white bone, I've not decided yet. Back to the "fever" issue; it won't let me rest. I'm constantly checking the forum for comments or PM's on my WTT post and the lack of response is dispiriting. It's a sickness and I hope that getting this one will be the cure. One nice swing guard kept me content for many years until I tweaked to the shell pullers a couple of years ago. Time will tell, mate. I'm going back to bed because this got me up at 1:00 AM. and I'm feeling the glass of wine I had to try to get relaxed enough to get back to sleep. Good night, all.
Luke
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Somebody ambitious should take a AKC stamped bolster puller and put some solid bolsters on it. Make it a real knife.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Whippersnapper at least the bolsters are tack welded or soldered to the liners. They won't move on me. Just a risk of crushing which if I wasn't constantly carrying it around in my back pocket wouldn't be nearly as possible. And they do seem to have some beefiness compared to other stamped ones I have.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Hoping/expecting my knife to arrive at my workplace on Monday. Got to the post office on lunch and bought a money order and got the envelope on its way. He should get it Friday, and send my knife on same day, hopefully.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Here's what the ram's horn looks like. It might even be the very knife I'm getting.
Attachments
rs=w_1200,h_1200 (2).jpeg
rs=w_1200,h_1200 (2).jpeg (369.41 KiB) Viewed 763 times
rs=w_1200,h_1200 (1).jpeg
rs=w_1200,h_1200 (1).jpeg (427.78 KiB) Viewed 763 times
rs=w_1200,h_1200.jpeg
rs=w_1200,h_1200.jpeg (309.35 KiB) Viewed 763 times
LGustin

Post by LGustin »

That’s pretty cool. I like the natural material scales like horn and antler, makes for a more pleasing look.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I love that horn on that! I would have owned a lot more knives in my life if makers used it more.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

With handles like that I'm not concerned with the bolsters. I like contrasts.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Great scales Luke ,that rams horn is very nice .
Really like the blade etch too ,let us know when it arrives .
Sturdy well built knives .
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

I'll definitely do that, Ian. And better pics as well. No way of knowing if it'll be the one above or not but Mike told me he had two in stock.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Looking like Wednesday is the soonest I'll be seeing my new blade. :cry: I expected my payment to arrive Friday and the good old USPS let me down again. He didn't get it until yesterday evening. He did show me the priority mailer already addressed to me with tracking so it also shouldn't be any later than Wednesday, either. Pins and needles until then. At least I had him send it to my workplace address so I won't have to wait till I get home after 5:00. Mail usually hits between 10:00 and noon. The wait is already torture.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Whippersnapper- I have been "ambitious" for a long time! Here are some Italians converted to shell pullers.
Attachments
IMG_4400.JPG
IMG_4400.JPG (28.25 KiB) Viewed 566 times
IMG_4378.JPG
IMG_4378.JPG (75.9 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.