Sub-Hilt

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Sub-Hilt

Post by Pushbutton »

Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

So good ya want us to see 'em twice huh??

It's lack of patience y'a know.... the long delay gets to ya and ya hit the button again...

I've nuked the twin....

All the best
Teddy

P.S. ... nice knife.
Pete-UK

Post by Pete-UK »

I like the first 1 :D .........but then again........I like the 2nd 1 too !!!...............no ......the third ones the best 1 :? ..........come 2 think of it they all l@@k the same :? ........the only bad thing about them is the price tag :wink: ...........Cheers Pete-UK
We are only on this planet once.........enjoy it .......and be cool !!!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Pete they are all variations of Loveless'es Big Bear. Which is my all time favorite but couldn't find a pic. Maker by the name of Parker Bob I think makes gorgeous subbies in the loveless tradition as does Llyod Pendleton. Its a classic style that will always be with us like the Italian. Made correctly you don't even notice your holding one. The fit is perfect and just feels like an extension of your hand and are as fast as lightening. Made wrong and you feel like your holding a lead weight in your hand :wink:
PB
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I also love the Loveless Bear classic. Don't have one but own the Cold Steel version. A great hunter for the price and the sub hilt prevents any accidental contact with the blade. :wink:
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Pete-UK

sub hilt

Post by Pete-UK »

I totaly agree with u Pushbutton on your choice :wink: ..........1 photo would have been enough 2 sell it 2 me :wink: ..........she's a stunner :shock: ...........I don't think I'll ever get 2 own 1 ........but I think I know what you mean about the feel of the knife :wink: .........u get what u pay 4 at the end of the day :D ..........(imagine an auto version of the same knife).......in our dreams :wink: ...........Cheers Pete-UK
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Martin and Brown are tops in my book.
Sub hilts are one of the few knives that I have kept up w/ over time.
And I of course cant help but add brads one and only
Mr. De Leon (another Texan) makes a good one too
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Pete-UK

SUB HILT

Post by Pete-UK »

That's an idea :roll: ...........What about a "Sub Hilt" auto.....!!".......sounds good 2 me....are there any out there ???.......if not.........why ???........Pete-UK
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Benny
The top one looks like an awesome fighter. I only posted fast there are so many beautiful ones out there.

Razor 54: Lynn Thompson took Bob Loveless classic and designed his subbie. I am not sure if Bob had a deal or lynn just cloned it.
Walter Brend also makes a combat Sub hilt and his grinds are fantastic although I believe his daughter now grinds his blades.
PB
Last edited by Pushbutton on Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

PB, i beleive that Cold Steel has copied a lot ot the master knifer makers, from what i have seen on their cd.
Another fine example of a sub hilt from Jot Khalsa.

~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Jot Singh Khalsa is a little weird, and TALENTED beyond belief :!: :!: :!:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Jot was a neighbor of mine for awhile when he lived in Dorchester,Mass (How about that Moe) he now lives about a 1/2 hour away. He is a real nice guy and his knives are flawless. He started as Jewlery maker which is why his knives are so arty. He is usual at the local shows and believe me you can't miss him. Norm Bardsley, Jot and Jim Siska have tables side by side.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Pushbutton wrote:Jot was a neighbor of mine for awhile when he lived in Dorchester,Mass (How about that Moe) he now lives about a 1/2 hour away. He is a real nice guy and his knives are flawless. He started as Jewlery maker which is why his knives are so arty. He is usual at the local shows and believe me you can't miss him. Norm Bardsley, Jot and Jim Siska have tables side by side.
PB
I knew he started doing jewlery and his talent is almost unbelievable :!:
[The last time I knew he still livid in Mass, nice to hear he still does].

Now, about subhilts! Not the best for hunting. Flip 'em over [like for skinning] and there are LOTS of more comfortable designs. ANY kind of reverse grip leaves a lot to be desired :!: Even as a "fighter" quick changes in grip are a joke. If point forward, blade down, is all you do, they are the best there is [by a long shot] :wink:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Al
Yeah Jot lives in Millis which is near Foxboro Stadium. I was waiting for someone to come up with the negatives about subbies to bad it was you meaning I wanted to see if anyone else caught them I knew you would. Everything you say is true especially about quick changeover and they are not a hunter they are there own seperate entitiy kind of like an Italian Switchblade but they are beautiful looking regardless. Getting back to fast change I have a custom Pat Crawford fighter made in 1973 the profile is exactly like the subbie but it has no sub-hilt. It's light and fast and nothing clumsy about it. I don't think Crawford has made any fixed blades for 20 years now except special orders. Alot of makers offer the same knife as there sub-hilt but without it and collectors buy both. Like us buying the same switch but one has blond and the other dark horn. Cept the customs are a tad bit more dinero.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

This is the closest I have come to making or owning a subhilt. It has some but not all of the limitations :idea: If I ever find a real bargain on a subhilt I'll grab it. Just so I can say I have one :!: [This one only works well with a recurve blade.]