Just scored my first picklock!

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mario

Just scored my first picklock!

Post by Mario »

Hey guys,

I was at a pawn shop earlier looking at some knives the guy had. He had some stuff that was way overpriced and some stuff that was underpriced. Typical with pawn shops. After a couple minutes of looking I noticed what looked like a stiletto behind a stun gun box. I waited for the guy to get done with paying somebody who sold him some tools and I asked, “May I see that stiletto behind the stun gun?” He took it out and it was a 1950s Rosco picklock! I looked it over and was thinking I’m sure I won’t be able to afford this. I then turned to him and asked the price and you won’t believe what he said. $40!!! My mouth almost dropped, but I figured I’d better not act surprised or mention anything to him. He obviously didn’t know what he had. This is easily a $400 or $500 knife! It isn’t in too bad of shape. The spring works great and the safety works. The blade has a bit of wear and corrosion and there’s a slight bit of play. But again, $40! I’ve seen them go for at least $350 in this condition! I hope this is a good sign of things to come for me in the new year!

I took of pic of this beauty for all you fine stiletto connoisseurs!

Happy New Year!

Mario
Attachments
IMG_2506-compressed.png
IMG_2506-compressed.png (59.55 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Twobit

Re: Just scored my first picklock!

Post by Twobit »

Nice find, Mario! That 11" Rizzuto swinger I sold on the forum was a pawn shop find at $15
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Great find and deal!
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

I'd say "the blade has a bit of wear" is a bit of an understatement :wink: . A lot of steel has been removed from that blade. Both main edge and false edge.

Still, not bad for $40.
Last edited by Killgar on Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
Dana Balinger

Post by Dana Balinger »

... congrats, !!!! ... don't find these every day in any condition... you did good,.. I call the ones with this use ,.."street warriors",.. I have rescued several myself, and am proud of them... !!
TMD

Post by TMD »

Congratulations! I I scored my first vintage picklock last year.
john

Post by john »

Awesome find‼️I know it won’t be long before you add another to your collection.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Mario
A Rosco picklock for 40 dollars I think its a real steal and .I would have snapped it up aswell . .

Pity about the blade being overly sharpened but this knife was obviously a user ,not a drawer queen and would have a few stories to tell i'll wager.

Do you plan to clean it up,alter it etc or leave it be ?

Congrats and i'm glad you got it ..
Mario

Post by Mario »

gravknife wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:09 pm Mario
A Rosco picklock for 40 dollars I think its a real steal and .I would have snapped it up aswell . .

Pity about the blade being overly sharpened but this knife was obviously a user ,not a drawer queen and would have a few stories to tell i'll wager.

Do you plan to clean it up,alter it etc or leave it be ?

Congrats and i'm glad you got it ..
I’m going to leave it as is. The used look gives it character.
Precision

Post by Precision »

A Rosco picklock for $40 ? What a nice find Mario. Hopefully he will find you some more vintage treasures down the road. What’s the name of that pawn shop again?
Mackafoose

Post by Mackafoose »

That is the reason I look at the flea markets and as many online auctions I can find. Great find!!