Some of my older autos

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
prober996

Some of my older autos

Post by prober996 »

Here are three groupings of some of my older autos. Most of you know a lot more about these knives than I do (I inherited the majority of them), and I am eager to learn, so please weigh in on anything you find interesting or unusual.
stilettos 1.jpg
stilettos 1.jpg (118.37 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
autos 1.jpg
autos 1.jpg (141.38 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
IMG_4884.jpg
IMG_4884.jpg (509.88 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
Twobit

Re: Some of my older autos

Post by Twobit »

I really dig the two shell pullers in stag with the drop point blades. What is the make on those? I can't see any markings. I really like the two different shades on either half on both knives.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Fine selection prober996

You have a nice spanish "Hellraiser knife" that pops out immediately along with 2 other spanish knives .The topless bolster marked INOX is nice and there are many other interesting knives ,its a great collection ,and hard to acquire .

Luke
I believe one of the shellpullers is by massaro ,can't make out the others mark .They both look Massaro to me .
Last edited by gravknife on Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Ian, is massaro an Italian maker, or Spanish? I see differences in the two, like the loop on the bottom bolster of the one on the left, and different sized levers, but at the same time it sort of looks as if they share one half each of two different colored scales.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Massaro is an Italian maker.

I see what you mean about the levers sizes and bail Luke .
The scales could just be the lighting of the picture ,they are plastic I would expect ..

Lets see what others say .
prober996

Post by prober996 »

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I will dig into this "project" next week and take photos on the individual knives and post them.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

prober996
The Hellraiser is quite a sought after and valuable knife ,Check the search here and ,type in Hellraiser .
You have a lovely collection of minis aswell that I would be proud of .
Congrats on the knives you have posted and thanks for sharing them .
prober996

Post by prober996 »

Is the Hellraiser the one on the far right, or the fourth from the right?
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Fourth from right top pic .
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Here's a couple I acquired some years back .
One is missing the guards ,so it looks unusual .
Attachments
20180603_100331.jpg
20180603_100331.jpg (898.46 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
20180603_100317.jpg
20180603_100317.jpg (578.39 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Nice examples, Ian, as is prober's. His looks to have a coating of lacquer,shellac, or possibly polyurethane on the scales. Do you have the guards to the one missing them, Ian? I had the guards fall off of mine that I've been asking for valuation on. Pinned them back on with a round headed steel nail. Simply found the correct gauge for the hole, cut the nail to length, and peened it with a nail set punch.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Luke
I do have guards ,a freind kindly sent me some from America .
The knives are out of my home for the last year or so ,I will eventually get the nerve up to put them on .

Thanks for the tip on the method mate
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

My pleasure, Ian. You can use brass or stainless alternatively if you prefer or if it matches your other hardware better. I'm actually not sure whether I used mild steel or stainless myself. It's been around 20 years since the unfortunate incident. I only wish I'd had the knowledge years before that when I tossed a Korean rizzy clone over the same issue. Perfectly good toy in the rubbish bin over something very easily repaired. At that stage in life I hadn't much mechanical knowledge and just wrote it off. Of course paying around four times as much for the Italian was also a strong motivation to try a fix.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

The shellpuler with the bale (loop) looks like one usually marked jindiana with inox on the back side.

The far left one on the 1 st picture is what's usually called a tourist knife. They come with a couple different scenes and some solid colors.
prober996

Post by prober996 »

Yeah, I have three different sizes of the "tourist knife", including some mini knives I showed in another post. My father bought them in Sorrento or Positano in the late '80s or early 90's.