Frenchi94 switchblade collection

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gravknife

Re: Frenchi94 switchblade collection

Post by gravknife »

Frenchie94

The switchblades made in England were mostly in the 19thcentury I would imagine ..They are very rare indeed
Just a quick question for you .On the knife you show in the last picture the spanish one, is that a name or Patent number above the sear hole ,and what is it please ?
I ask as its got a few attributes like the Hellraiser knives from Spain ,and if it is a name ,maybe they produced the hellraiser knife aswell ,just a thought .

I really like that knife aswell .
Attachments
20180603_100534 (1).jpg
20180603_100534 (1).jpg (506.97 KiB) Viewed 4846 times
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Beautiful knives, especially the Maltese one from the 20's..

Wondering why it has a strange round tip.
Twobit

Post by Twobit »

Good looking blades!
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

Blitz wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:07 am Beautiful knives, especially the Maltese one from the 20's..

In the switchblade book "Coletello a Scatto Antico Italiano Switchblade", which Frenchi shows a portion of the cover in his opening post, there is a two-bladed knife on the cover with a nub on the tip of the blade. In the book the author explains that such knives sold in Italy at the time needed to have those nubs on the tips because it was illegal to possess knives as weapons.

Of course it would be very easy to grind those nubs off. And I imagine that many old Italian Stilettos that we have seen originally had those nubs. But I don't believe this law applied to knives for export, just knives possessed in Italy.

Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Blitz wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:07 am Beautiful knives, especially the Maltese one from the 20's..

Probably to dig out ear wax, just a guess.
2024 candidate for president
Frenchi94

Post by Frenchi94 »

gravknife wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:48 pm Frenchie94

The switchblades made in England were mostly in the 19thcentury I would imagine ..They are very rare indeed
Just a quick question for you .On the knife you show in the last picture the spanish one, is that a name or Patent number above the sear hole ,and what is it please ?
I ask as its got a few attributes like the Hellraiser knives from Spain ,and if it is a name ,maybe they produced the hellraiser knife aswell ,just a thought .

I really like that knife aswell .
Excuse me Gravknife for the late response I am very busy at the moment..
On the Spanish knife the tang stamp is only a patent number without name, but I must say that it is a low-end knife compare to the others with cheap zamac bolsters :oops:
I had the hellraiser knife too (the small one) and the quality is not incredible too but they are still a nice knife when you like switchblade :D
@frenchXcollection
Frenchi94

Post by Frenchi94 »

Thanks! Yes the Maltese is incredible and the rounded tip was here to circumvent the law as you answered KILLGAR :D
At that time you just had to grind to make a sharp tip.
It is very rare that this knife is always with the round tip and has not been grinded to be sharp
@frenchXcollection
Frenchi94

Post by Frenchi94 »

Twobit wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:18 am Good looking blades!
Thank!
sammy the blade wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:03 pm

Probably to dig out ear wax, just a guess.
:lol:
@frenchXcollection
Frenchi94

Post by Frenchi94 »

Killgar wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:04 am
In the switchblade book "Coletello a Scatto Antico Italiano Switchblade", which Frenchi shows a portion of the cover in his opening post, there is a two-bladed knife on the cover with a nub on the tip of the blade. In the book the author explains that such knives sold in Italy at the time needed to have those nubs on the tips because it was illegal to possess knives as weapons.

Of course it would be very easy to grind those nubs off. And I imagine that many old Italian Stilettos that we have seen originally had those nubs. But I don't believe this law applied to knives for export, just knives possessed in Italy.

Thank you Killgar for sharing these pages of the book it is very interesting :D
@frenchXcollection
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Cheers Frenchie94 for the reply.

Wish they were maker marked in some way .They have a few nice variants from that era

I agree the construction of the Hellraisers arent a patch on your standard italian /french build quality ,but they just have something about them ,plus that famous appearance in the Hellraiser film . :)

I love my examples I managed to get from France .

Ian
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

Frenchi94 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:58 pm
No problem Frenchi. Kinda like deja vu from the other forum. :wink:

I don't posses the book, but I was lucky enough to find a picture of one open to those pages online. Doing a closeup on that original picture in my computer I can just barely read the caption, but unfortunately converting the pic into one I can show in my post makes it unreadable.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
Frenchi94

Post by Frenchi94 »

gravknife wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:34 pm Cheers Frenchie94 for the reply.

Wish they were maker marked in some way .They have a few nice variants from that era

I agree the construction of the Hellraisers arent a patch on your standard italian /french build quality ,but they just have something about them ,plus that famous appearance in the Hellraiser film . :)

I love my examples I managed to get from France .

Ian
Hello Gravknife,
No unfortunately no marking from any manufacturer for the spanish one, only patent..
For the hellraiser as a switchblade lover we all love them in any case right :P
Its design is beautiful too, but I've never seen the movie Hellraiser, maybe one day it's never too late.
Excuse me for my late response again..
Kind Regards
@frenchXcollection
Frenchi94

Post by Frenchi94 »

Killgar wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:57 pm
Frenchi94 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:58 pm
No problem Frenchi. Kinda like deja vu from the other forum. :wink:

I don't posses the book, but I was lucky enough to find a picture of one open to those pages online. Doing a closeup on that original picture in my computer I can just barely read the caption, but unfortunately converting the pic into one I can show in my post makes it unreadable.
Hi Killgard, ah ok I think you had the book at home, in which case thank you even more for your research and for sharing ;)
Please excuse me for the really late response..
Kind Regards
@frenchXcollection
Frenchi94

Post by Frenchi94 »

Vintage Leverlock Stag handle with strange Cat stamp & Rosfrei
@frenchXcollection
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I like that style and blade shape.