New Frank B picklock

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sammy the blade

Re: New Frank B picklock

Post by sammy the blade »

Never bought anything from PVK, they have some really nice stuff but it a little out of my low budget price range. Guess it depends on how deep your pockets are and how bad you want it.
2024 candidate for president
boots

Post by boots »

I'm late to the party and this is about as cheap as you're going to find them at this stage.
Highspeedsteel

Post by Highspeedsteel »

Tom19176 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:43 am I guess PVK still has them as those are the highest prices I have seen. Never bought from them, but when the China made Magos came out and they sold them for $140 claiming they were from Italy, they lost a future customer in me....The 11" Frank B 2.0 are $60+ more than anyone else....
For $310 you can buy a vintage knife that is guaranteed to have been made in Italy... just my 2¢
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

For $310 you can buy a vintage knife that is guaranteed to have been made in Italy... just my 2¢

Excellent point

Jim
Mario

Post by Mario »

Tom19176 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:43 am I guess PVK still has them as those are the highest prices I have seen. Never bought from them, but when the China made Magos came out and they sold them for $140 claiming they were from Italy, they lost a future customer in me....The 11" Frank B 2.0 are $60+ more than anyone else....
PVK has been marking up the Frank B’s for some reason. The SKM stilettos from the other Beltrame family members aren’t priced nearly as high.
boots

Post by boots »

boots

Post by boots »

Mario wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:04 pm
PVK has been marking up the Frank B’s for some reason. The SKM stilettos from the other Beltrame family members aren’t priced nearly as high.
It's called supply and demand.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

boots wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:17 am
Mario wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:04 pm
It's called supply and demand.
The only issue with that is Perryknife works and even Grindworks have them 30% cheaper.....Like I also said, when a large knife seller who knows the Magos were from China day one, and sells them as Italian at $140 until the market has them everywhere....Then they lost me...
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

That's a great point Tom. Here we have a company that many of us trusted for years severely damaging their credibility for some short-term profits.

Jim
Highspeedsteel

Post by Highspeedsteel »

jim d, wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:44 pm That's a great point Tom. Here we have a company that many of us trusted for years severely damaging their credibility for some short-term profits.

Jim
PVK sold a couple years ago and they are not the same company at all unfortunately
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

Comparing prices of a few Frank Beltrame knives that are currently being sold at both PVK and myswitchblade.com-

9" bayo blade/cocobolo picklock
PVK- $301.
MS- $266. (Not anymore, sold out. Maybe it was someone who read this post)

9" bayo blade/stag handle swivel bolster
PVK- $206.
MS- $149.

11" bayo blade/buffalo horn swivel bolster
PVK- $222.
MS- $129.

I'm not knocking PVK, my understanding is that they have an actual store, which means overhead. And I believe myswitchblade is a home business (less overhead).

I've never purchased from PVK (prices were a big reason). I have purchased several knives from myswitchblade and was happy with those experiences.
Last edited by Killgar on Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Really loving that Cocobolo scaled knife boots ,its a beauty .
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I never purchased from them either.

PVK never had a great reputation imo. Especially years ago when Josh(?) ran the place. They never made the forum "good ones" list here to my recollection.

Haven't heard any negatives in recent years since the move and different management....Except the prices.
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

Prices on the secondary market can get pretty ridiculous. I see a pre-owned FB offered for sale right now for $399. But the same exact model is available new from an online retailer for $268.

Just goes to show the importance of shopping around, or asking around before buying.

Unless someone just likes to pay an extra $131.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
john

Post by john »

gravknife wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:06 pm Really loving that Cocobolo scaled knife boots ,its a beauty .

Hi Ian,
I think it’s snake wood, but I’ve been wrong on the past.

Boots can you tell us what type of is scale material is on the knife?
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed