Which Switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
LGustin

Which Switchblade

Post by LGustin »

Hello and greetings from Arkansas. New to the site, found you all by searching for a repair for my Rizzuto. In addition to the Rizzuto that needs a little love I have a Kershaw and a Microtech.
I’m not up to speed on switchblades or auto knives but do understand good high quality materials can make a knife something worth handing down later in life, with that said, I would like to add a real Italian made stiletto to my collection. My question to you all is what should I be looking for that I don’t need a second mortgage to afford? Thanks
Killgar

Re: Which Switchblade

Post by Killgar »

Hello LGustin. Welcome.

The classic, genuine Italian production stiletto switchblade brand that many consider to be the highest quality is Latama. You can currently get a new 11"/28cm swivel bolster Latama with bayonet blade and dark horn handles ("Classic Traditional") for $389 direct from Latama (in the US). When they have cocobolo wood handle ones in stock they are a little less.

In my opinion, and based on my experience, when you go below Latama on the Italian stiletto switchblade scale the quality drops significantly.

Also, from what I've seen of other peoples experience, the owner of Latama is a good guy who cares about the satisfaction of his customers and will make it right if there is a problem with the knife you buy.

Of course you might find a pre-owned one for less for sale on the secondary market, like here at Talkblade in the Buy & Sell section, or at Arizona Customs.

But be aware that like a lot of Italian stilettos the Latamas are not knives for cutting stuff. The blades are too narrow, too thick, and the edges too steep to achieve a true cutting edge.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
LGustin

Post by LGustin »

Thank you for the reply Killgar. That gives me something to look for. Much appreciated.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Check out grindworx.com they have many different kinds of auto knives.
2024 candidate for president
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Welcome LGustin

If I was you I would take a look on here at the old posts for a while ,showing the various styles of switchblades leverlocks ,italians and Out the fronts ,plus the newer knives like Frank Bs and the Latamas Killgar mentioned and then see which type appeals to you .
I personally like the Italian transitional knives for their build quality and materials and history . I love Latamas and Edwin Jays ,Coricamas etc but they are usually out of my price range
Enjoy browsing for a while before you buy but you never end up just buying one ,trust me .

Glad you found TB and good luck with your hunting ..

gravknife
Last edited by gravknife on Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
LGustin

Post by LGustin »

Great information, thank you. I have enjoyed reading some of the old threads. I will be looking a lot before buying anything. I know I want a quality Italian switchblade and another OTF, one with a double edge blade. I would like one with a Damascus blade. My wish list is getting longer.
sammy the blade

Looks like you're going to take a trip down the rabbit hole, like the rest of us have. Very hard to stop at just a few, ask anyone here. Welcome aboard and post some pictures of you can.
LGustin

Post by LGustin »

Yes, that rabbit hole is a slippery slope. Lol
One thing is for certain, so far knives have been cheaper than guns. I figure a couple knives a year should be tolerated by the boss of the house. If she complains I will take her to dinner and maybe shoe shopping. Lol
I will get a few of my knives out this weekend and post up a pic.
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

LGustin, glad to have you with us.
LGustin

Post by LGustin »

Well I took a pic of my autos and a pic of my prized trio of knives a close friend (Lynn Drury) made for me before he passed. Unfortunately I am not computer savvy enough to post the pics, I’m ASSUMING I have to post them to a host site then link it to here. I have never done that so you all will just have to believe me when I say the pics are spectacular. Lol
My EDC is a Kershaw Link, it’s faster opening than my auto Kershaw. I need to sharpen my Microtech before I will carry it. I like my knives very sharp. That tells you a little more about me.
sammy the blade

I wish it was easier to post pictures here too! Sold all my Italians but two but I have some American made knives I wish I could post here. Have some from Taiwan that are nice too and a few from China that are well made but it is what it is. I pretty much like them all!
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

LGustin wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:22 pm Well I took a pic of my autos and a pic of my prized trio of knives a close friend (Lynn Drury) made for me before he passed. Unfortunately I am not computer savvy enough to post the pics, I’m ASSUMING I have to post them to a host site then link it to here. I have never done that so you all will just have to believe me when I say the pics are spectacular. Lol
My EDC is a Kershaw Link, it’s faster opening than my auto Kershaw. I need to sharpen my Microtech before I will carry it. I like my knives very sharp. That tells you a little more about me.
Maybe this tutorial on posting pictures will help :)

link- viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30630
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
LGustin

Post by LGustin »

I will play around this weekend and see if I can get the pics up. I am sending my Rizzuto out today to be refurbished, looking forward to seeing it come back.
john

Post by john »

Hello and Welcome LGustin to the show that never ends. Enjoy the forum there’s an encyclopedia’s worth of knowledge here.
Last edited by john on Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
sammy the blade

LGustin wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:59 am Yes, that rabbit hole is a slippery slope. Lol
One thing is for certain, so far knives have been cheaper than guns. I figure a couple knives a year should be tolerated by the boss of the house. If she complains I will take her to dinner and maybe shoe shopping. Lol
I will get a few of my knives out this weekend and post up a pic.
A couple a year, let us know how that works out for you. Cheaper than guns equals more knives, been there and done that.