NYKC Hammer Brand Auto stamp question

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
82Tank

NYKC Hammer Brand Auto stamp question

Post by 82Tank »

I recently acquired a Hammer Brand switchblade at an auction. I read in another post that it can be approximately dated by the blade stamp. It seems to have the larger forearm. Can anyone help with dating this knife and giving me an approximate value? It seems to be in quite good shape for its age. The only crack in the scales is that seen above the lock. I believe the style is Cracked Ice. There is little wobble in the blade. The button and lock work and move freely. After a drop of light oil the blade fairly jumps out and locks open. I don't want to reveal what I paid for it until someone can tell me what it is worth. I have no intention of selling it, I'm just curious.

Thanks
Attachments
SW04.jpg
SW04.jpg (769.75 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
SW02-50.jpg
SW02-50.jpg (25.38 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
Killgar

Re: NYKC Hammer Brand Auto stamp question

Post by Killgar »

I don't claim to be an expert on Imperial/Hammer/NYKC knives, but I don't believe that is a NYKC (New York Knife Company) knife.

I believe the NYKC knives have "New York Knife Co" stamped on the opposite side tang as the arm/hammer logo, and I don't believe the NYKC knives have the vertical "USA" to the right of the arm/hammer logo.

My understanding is that NYKC, the original owner of the Hammer Brand, was bought out by Imperial in the early 1930's and then no longer existed. Then Hammer Brand became an Imperial brand. So if the chart below is correct, that would mean your knife was made after NYKC was bought out.

As far as age, based on the Imperial/Hammer Brand tang stamp charts I've seen, that looks like a 1945-1955 knife.

Bottom row, second from the left.

Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Killgar is correct.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Not rare and not mint, but I always liked and collected them. When I was actively collecting I would say worth 75 to 100 dollars.Maybe more now with inflation.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I know they won't hold up when throwing them at trees. Things you do when you're a kid.
2024 candidate for president
82Tank

Post by 82Tank »

Killgar,

Thanks. That is exactly what I wanted to know.

Whippersnapper,

I paid $22.50. It's going into my collection. It's amazing how well these old switchblades hold up, given that many have been left closed. I wonder if the new coil spring types will do as well over time.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Keeping them closed does no harm.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
82Tank

Post by 82Tank »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:08 am Keeping them closed does no harm.
Thanks, Bill. I always assumed that it would weaken the spring.