S.M.Z. picklock

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

S.M.Z. picklock

Post by button_man »

First vintage spring-knife of the season! Just picked up this S.M.Z. picklock at the flea for five bucks. It needs work…. the spring is gone, and
possibly the sear mechanism is defunct as well. Bail for keychain is missing. The backspring is bizarrely warped. (Odd patent number: 31.9502 )

The blade puzzles me – it’s way too short (sharpened edge is 2”) for the handle, and it may have had the point broken off and then been re-shaped.
OAL right now is exactly 6 inches. Even if the blade was as long as I think it should be, it still would be under the German limit, so I don’t think
it was made ‘too short’ for legal reasons.

As always, any insights from the group will be much appreciated!
Attachments
SMZ__130.JPG
SMZ__130.JPG (199.16 KiB) Viewed 892 times
SMZ__133.JPG
SMZ__133.JPG (296.67 KiB) Viewed 892 times
SMZ__137.JPG
SMZ__137.JPG (279.94 KiB) Viewed 892 times
SMZ__149.JPG
SMZ__149.JPG (147.33 KiB) Viewed 892 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: S.M.Z. picklock

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's Japanese, and the blade has been reshaped.
The backsprings were weak on these and were easily bent.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

I have a 9 inch one with that stamp, patent number and bayonet blade. It's probably a late-1950s production.
button_man

Post by button_man »

Thanks guys..... of course, I was hoping that it was something better, but the bail feature was a strong hint that it was Japanese.
Other than the micro-switchblades with a tiny 1" blade (or less), has anyone ever seen an Italian piece with a bail on the rear bolster?

I'm surprised that the backspring is so weak that it would bow out of shape like that!
I wonder what was done to the knife to make it happen...???

I guess this knife gets thrown in the box of junkers......
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Misshapen either by yanking it up, or bending the kickspring which forced it up. It then had to be bent back down to lock the blade. It's a good parts knife.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.