AKC Roma - Clarification of Origin

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Billyfish

Re: AKC Roma - Clarification of Origin

Post by Billyfish »

This is one of the reasons that I have been buying Maniago knives that I'm fairly confident of their origin.
I'm not at all interested in giving any of my $$ to China; I know it's not much of a loss to them, but I'm tired of everything being outsourced to them.
Panzerfaust

Re: AKC Roma - Clarification of Origin

Post by Panzerfaust »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:09 am In the 1960s, the Japanese started copying American electric guitars. By the 1970s they were very good at it, and American quality was going down. Most of the American factories contracted with the Japanese to build their guitars.
No one in the little Italian town of Maniago wants to make knives now. It's dirty work. Look at Sheffield, England-once world famous for cutlery. Solingen Germany is the same.
Otter Messer may be the last hold out in Solingen. Contrary to what some of the purists say, the Hubertus lever-locks made by Otter are comparable in quality to the originals and the fit and finish on the three I own is better than some of my older models. The kick springs are still an unknown though. On my medium Otter-Hubertus, the spring has been sliding forward and I have been pushing it back into place. On my other ones, the kick springs seem to be staked.