CORICAMA Transitionals/Swivel Bolsers / South America?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Highspeedsteel

CORICAMA Transitionals/Swivel Bolsers / South America?

Post by Highspeedsteel »

Here's my collection of CORICAMA transitionals and swivel bolsters (the 28cm is not D-stamped but the others all are for some reason). I am missing 12, 14 and 18cm examples but hope to locate them someday. I messaged back and forth with the late Randy Smukal (Curmudgeon) before he passed and while he speculated that they likely "came through South America" he also said that "there's nothing known about them..." I know a 12cm was recently found by a buddy but I have not seen a 14 or 18cm yet. Thank you for looking and please let me know your thoughts

john

Re: CORICAMA Transitionals/Swivel Bolsers / South America?

Post by john »

Sorry, I cannot help you find the missing knives for your collection, but you’re knives are outstanding‼️
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Highspeedsteel

Post by Highspeedsteel »

john wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:13 pm Sorry, I cannot help you find the missing knives for your collection, but you’re knives are outstanding‼️
Thank you, Sir! The search/hunt is definitely part of the fun... I'm 46 and hope to be collecting another 40+yrs if the good lord allows!
rithvich

Post by rithvich »

Very cool set! I've always thought the coricama's from the 60's were very interesting knives, think it's the first time i've seen a set of them in one place.

There are a few 12cms out there, finding the 18cm is always a tough one.
frosolone

Post by frosolone »

B1503A89-9EE2-45AB-AF48-673EACEAD2E7.jpeg
B1503A89-9EE2-45AB-AF48-673EACEAD2E7.jpeg (130.21 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
I have a few Coricamas , traded a few for some other special knives. One of my 12’s a swivel and the stag 14 is too. Fishtail is marked INOXID too.
Highspeedsteel

Post by Highspeedsteel »

frosolone wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:55 pm I have a few Coricamas , traded a few for some other special knives. One of my 12’s a swivel and the stag 14 is too. Fishtail is marked INOXID too.
Very cool!... that is only the 2nd Coricama fish I have ever seen
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have seen several of these that came through South America.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Wow! We must see 100 Coricama picklocks to every 1 Coricama swivel bolsters. Has to be a rare breed. Nice!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

2 of HSS's Coricamas have steel bolsters, making them very late ones.
Both of the knives have early-style buttons and safeties, though.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

Those are very beautiful, Mr. D. I know my grandparents were in South Africa at least once, but I didn't find any knives with the Coricama stamp. Had I found one, by all means, it would be yours! I'll be in southern Florida next week and plan to plunder estate sales and random unsavory establishments at will. I like to know what you nice people are after. I may see something and remember that someone likes/needs those. Someday. I love puzzles, research, birding, and identifying fish I see when diving. The knife journey begins.
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

nice Coricama's you have there, I miss Randy.
Highspeedsteel

Post by Highspeedsteel »

rock-n-roll$$$$$$ wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:38 pm nice Coricama's you have there, I miss Randy.
Thank you, Sir

I wish I had gotten to know Randy better but feel lucky that he was kind to me and responded to some questions I'd asked. I feel very fortunate to have a few things from his collection and try to honor his collecting in doing so