This OJD or DJD INOX tang stamp is proving elusive...

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ColdEthyl

This OJD or DJD INOX tang stamp is proving elusive...

Post by ColdEthyl »

Having trouble finding any info online about this stamp...I think there are two of them here...they have brass (?) D (forgive me) reinforced "ears".
OJD3.jpg
OJD3.jpg (393.81 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
OJD2.jpg
OJD2.jpg (423.3 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
OJD.jpg
OJD.jpg (442.11 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
Oh man...forgive my raunchy fingernails.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: This OJD or DJD INOX tang stamp is proving elusive...

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Many, if not most, of the name stamps on Italian stilettos are markings of the seller rather than the maker
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:29 pm Many, if not most, of the name stamps on Italian stilettos are markings of the seller rather than the maker
Thank you, Mr.DeShivs. I've seen you all talking a lot about importers so I will research that route. Again, thank you!
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

You may have already discovered this in your research, but "Inox" is short for inoxidable, which is just another word for stainless steel which was commonly used on Italian switchblades. So you will find plenty of references for that word.

I did a hard search online for any knife with "D.J.D" or "O.J.D" on it and couldn't find a single reference. I'd say that's a very rare stamp. And whether it's a maker or an importer, rare stamps are highly collectable, and that increases their value. There are collectors who try to acquire as many stamps as possible, especially the rare ones.

Good luck in your search. Hopefully someone will know who that stamp is. But if Bill doesn't know, I'd say chances are slim.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

Killgar wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:00 pm You may have already discovered this in your research, but "Inox" is short for inoxidable, which is just another word for stainless steel which was commonly used on Italian switchblades. So you will find plenty of references for that word.

I did a hard search online for any knife with "D.J.D" or "O.J.D" on it and couldn't find a single reference. I'd say that's a very rare stamp. And whether it's a maker or an importer, rare stamps are highly collectable, and that increases their value. There are collectors who try to acquire as many stamps as possible, especially the rare ones.

Good luck in your search. Hopefully someone will know who that stamp is. But if Bill doesn't know, I'd say chances are slim.
Thank you so much for your help and effort, Killgar! I'll keep digging...
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

ojd.jpg
ojd.jpg (79.92 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
That is kind of a mystery stamp. I've owned one for at least 10 years and have learned zilch. It's not super rare as I know of several floating around. I think I paid around $200 for mine.
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

fastr19 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:12 pm ojd.jpgThat is kind of a mystery stamp. I've owned one for at least 10 years and have learned zilch. It's not super rare as I know of several floating around. I think I paid around $200 for mine.
That's good to know, fastr....thx for sharing!
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

I found one (O.J.D stamp), don't know how I missed it. Here's a link- https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... horn-nbsp-

I don't know what length yours is (that one is 15"), and condition will affect value, but that one sold for $625.

Just thought I'd mention it. :)
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

Killgar wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:40 pm I found one (O.J.D stamp), don't know how I missed it. Here's a link- https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... horn-nbsp-

I don't know what length yours is (that one is 15"), and condition will affect value, but that one sold for $625.

There's an 11" and a 13". The 11" is perfection, but the 13" is one of the least good lookin' of the lot. Prob cuz it's fun and dad used it the most! The action is good, but the horn is unhappy. I appreciate the mention, killgar! Thank you. Onward. I do like that number.
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

krhastie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:28 pm
Killgar wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:40 pm I found one (O.J.D stamp), don't know how I missed it. Here's a link- https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... horn-nbsp-

There's an 11" and a 13". The 11" is perfection, but the 13" is one of the least good lookin' of the lot. Prob cuz it's fun and dad used it the most! The action is good, but the horn is unhappy. I appreciate the mention, killgar! Thank you. Onward. I do like that number.
Now you've done yourself in...this stamp is causing ??? too:
IMG_2328.jpg
IMG_2328.jpg (200.9 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

krhastie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:35 pm
krhastie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:28 pm

Now you've done yourself in...this stamp is causing ??? too:

IMG_2328.jpg
Scratch that....found some info here on TB :)
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

ojd full.jpg
ojd full.jpg (71.22 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
Mine is a 13" in really good shape. However it is a later model than yours. Be aware though that the site referenced always has high prices.
Mario

Post by Mario »

That’s a really nice knife, krhastie! Such a shame a piece of the horn scale is missing on the back. Somebody needs to fill in that gap with a material that’s similar.
frosolone

Post by frosolone »

I think that stands for the ELUSIVE O.J.DIMPSON knife. :wink:
ColdEthyl

Post by ColdEthyl »

Mario wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:14 am That’s a really nice knife, krhastie! Such a shame a piece of the horn scale is missing on the back. Somebody needs to fill in that gap with a material that’s similar.
I have the missing piece! As much as I’d like, I’m not going to try to fix myself. I’ve done a fair amount or fine art restoration - i spent a decade studying all facets of art - but never worked on one of these. I’m glad you and frosolone like it. I think the OJ theory has legs!