New Guy - Going to Italy

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Royal Payne

New Guy - Going to Italy

Post by Royal Payne »

Hey there y'all - I've recently discovered the joys of buying switchblades online (after customs nabbed my cheap Mexican stiletto coming back from Tijuana- nothing like being told you can't have something to make you want it more!) and become one of the obsessed... haunting BA and the AB, SKM and Frank B. websites. I'm vacationing in Italy and wondering if it's worth it to look for old stilettos in junk shops or even make a side trip to Maniago to visit the shops of Frank B and the rest. I'm wondering if anyone else has made a similar pilgrimage, and if so, relied on the Italian postal service to get the booty home. Of course, my fantasy is to find a Latama in some old shop for a handful of lira... doubtful, I know, but a man can dream...
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

Per the forum rules we can't discuss shipping but I'd sure do some shopping if I was in the land of springblades!
I can't think of a better reason to go there nor a better place to go to find old classics.

Abbia un viaggio meraviglioso!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

welcome to the forum royal payne...you are in the right place if you are looking for italian switchblade lovers.....

please take a few moments to aquaint yourself with our posting suggestions....
i know i sure would do some shopping too :wink:
i wish i had even thought to look when i was in rome in 94 :x DOH!!
Royal Payne

Post by Royal Payne »

woops, right you are- mea culpa to our hosts and no more talk on shipping from me... :oops:

still, I have every intention of a fruitful trip!
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Royal,

What'd the Feds say when they found you in possession of the Mexican version of a WMD? :wink:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Welcome Royal Payne
While avoiding S&H matters, I will say it's my understanding the auto cutlery is not legal in it's homeland except for export. However an exploration of the shops [and small makers] may turn up an occassional treasure if you're lucky. Coltello a scatto or Coltelli a scatto [singular and plural] are the Italian terms if it helps any.
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Please let me first say...Lucky you! Second, I am very nimble and would fit perfectly in one of your suitcases....I would be happy to help you hunt for deals! :wink: I don't think I'd ever forgive myself if I didn't make a pilgrimage to Managio while in the neighbourhood. You should make a point of getting there. BTW, apparently Latamas were never marketed in Europe. They were all produced for export to North America. I'd footnote that fact, but everyone probably realizes I just read "Switchblades of Italy". :lol:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

There are numerous people on here and TSF who have made many trips over. As far as what they returned with in terms of age and rarity I'm not sure. But they all agreed that there hosts were fantastic.
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I've heard Italians are about the best hosts in the world :D I've read the scenery around the Maniago area is fantastic :!: Mountains, trout streams, beautiful valleys, trout streams, many small knife making companies, and trout streams. You might even find a place to fish :D
I've been told it's a "little out of the way" so rent a Ferrari and enjoy the drive :idea:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

I believe up in the Italian Alps which as Al said makes for some beautiful country. The only thing I'm not sure about is if they have any trout streams :wink:
PB
DISTORTION

Post by DISTORTION »

Good luck on your trip Mr. Payne!

Remember to bring lots of American folding-loot!
A digital camera wouldnt hurt. :idea:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Pushbutton wrote:I believe up in the Italian Alps which as Al said makes for some beautiful country. The only thing I'm not sure about is if they have any trout streams :wink:
PB
Angelo went Trout fishing when he left work early on his birthday [same as mine]. Since he didn't take the whole day off [if my memory is correct] the Stream must have been fairly close :wink:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Royal Payne,

Welcome to the forum. Photos of Maniago are contained in the switchblade websites. Just go to the top of this section of the forum and then to page 1 of the "Switchblade Websites" thread.

Jim