Schrade Walden Paratrooper Switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mario

Schrade Walden Paratrooper Switchblade

Post by Mario »

These were issued to paratroopers serving in Vietnam in the 1960s, correct? I know Camillus made some and Colonial now makes a modern version with a coil spring.

I picked this one up for $45. The blade has a little up-and-down and side-to-side wobble in the open position and has some scratches from sharpening, but the button, safety and spring all function perfectly as does the rescue hook. Doesn’t appear to have any blade peak from what I can tell. The bail detached from the pin on the backside when I moved it, so I just bent it and hammered it down a little to keep it in place. Just going to leave it folded back and not move it.
Attachments
2C8E7E7F-8F24-4727-A069-59CB05219143.jpeg
2C8E7E7F-8F24-4727-A069-59CB05219143.jpeg (65.32 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
NorthCarolinaDude

Re: Schrade Walden Paratrooper Switchblade

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

Nice. Bet it could tell some stories. And that was a great find and price!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Nice knife!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I always liked them.
button_man

Post by button_man »

I picked up the Camillus version last year at the flea for $50. Like yours, it has both S2S and U&D blade play when open.
So have all the other ones that I've ever seen. Has anyone ever seen a TIGHT blade on one of these....? Just wondering....
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

When new, they were relatively tight.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Dave. B

Post by Dave. B »

I have these four...
20221017_134721 - Copy.jpg
20221017_134721 - Copy.jpg (826.81 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
Jay Blade

Post by Jay Blade »

I have the Camillus myself. I'd love to get the Shrade out of Walden, NY as that's not far from me. I actually will go to the Thruway sporting goods store in Walden from time to time for ammo & such.
Dave. B

Post by Dave. B »

All of mine came from gun shows. They're still out there in various conditions and prices. I will say the Colonial version is by far the best of the bunch. Lighter, better lock up, and quite snappy compared to the leaf spring models.
Millern

Post by Millern »

How does the new Colonial compare with the three originals?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The Colonial is a whole different ball game. It uses a coil spring, rather than a leaf spring. The handles are all plastic.
Overall they are a good design.
Dave. B

Post by Dave. B »

Millern wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:56 am How does the new Colonial compare with the three originals?
The Colonial M-724 is a better knife all the way around. Lighter, more durable nylon scales, it can be taken apart for cleaning, changing the spring, or blade. The quality is much better too. I wouldn't hesitate to carry the Colonial knife for everyday use.
Millern

Post by Millern »

Thanks! Great info!
SchwarzStock

Post by SchwarzStock »

During WWII the Army procured the M2 Paratrooper knife. It had black handles and was issued to paratroops. It could also be found in the pockets of First Special Service Force troops, Rangers, and the OSS. The MC1 knives were ordered by the USAF in 1958 for AF personnel. They were not issued to Army paratroops although a lot of trading went on and they found their way into Army pockets. The Navy's version of the Kabar (Mark II) was also popular with VN era and later SF types because of the fiberglass sheath and were frequently carried by SOF and like the AF MC1, you cannot use the word "issued" in any sort of official way. They were popular but not issued. As has been mentioned quality was at best "fair". Most troops passed the knives on fairly quickly as they realized they were hardly worth carrying the weight. Not sure if that was the case with the M2's but it was certainly the situation with the MC1 during my 24 years of service.