What's Your Favorite Lube ---

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jackalope

Re: What's Your Favorite Lube ---

Post by Jackalope »

jim d, wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:17 am I also like Militec oil and grease, and am still using my free samples.

Jim
I had received about 5 of each. Still have a couple.
Millern

Post by Millern »

Quick Release works best for me and is my regular choice for autos!
LittleAugieMo

Post by LittleAugieMo »

Militec,Kroil,and Froglube. Depending on the knife&blade material
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

This topic reminded me of my grandfather, he packed many of his edged weapons in Cosmoline! He also found it necessary to goop it into the actions of a couple of his older rifles. I will never forget the horrors of that stuff. It's a good metal preservative, I guess, maybe for surplus metals but in order to subsequently use those items it takes months to strip off and properly re-lubricate any item it's remotely touched, or so it seemed to me as a kid when my father handed a bayonet to me and instructed me to remove that junk. It also preserves wood if you have no care about drastic color changes and swelling!

As for my knives, I have some Latama Quick Release but I've also used a light and medium clock oil. I have a couple of syringes here that I use on my key-wound mantle clocks and pocket watches. I can't recall the manufacturer but I'm betting under a scope it's the same thing or very similar to the Latama oil.

Scott
SwingShift

Post by SwingShift »

First post here; I'll be getting around to introducing myself more properly shortly, including a couple snaps of my quite modest switchblade collection. I've been sold on 100% Food Grade Dive Silicone for ~50 years now (yes, I'm old); it's clear, it's light, it doesn't have much of an odor, it's easy to wipe off anyplace you don't want it, and...you can eat it I guess! I buy it in aerosol form in cases of 6, usually available at most Dive Shops. You'll want to swap out the factory spray head for one that allows a fine nozzle, for the record...
KrisNZ

Post by KrisNZ »

SwingShift wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:24 pm First post here; I'll be getting around to introducing myself more properly shortly, including a couple snaps of my quite modest switchblade collection. I've been sold on 100% Food Grade Dive Silicone for ~50 years now (yes, I'm old); it's clear, it's light, it doesn't have much of an odor, it's easy to wipe off anyplace you don't want it, and...you can eat it I guess! I buy it in aerosol form in cases of 6, usually available at most Dive Shops. You'll want to swap out the factory spray head for one that allows a fine nozzle, for the record...
Hi welcome,
interesting, Ill go to my local dive shop and check it out, baby oil is another good food grade lube,
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Depends on what I'm going to lube, sometimes a little spit will work.
2024 candidate for president
Erik131065

Post by Erik131065 »

Regular 10w40 engine oil carefully applied with a toothpick. The pivot( between the tang and the liners), the searhole and the locktab. I 'll drip a little drop of oil in the searhole and than close it. Keep the knife closed by your hand and press the button a couple of times. Using that oil takes bladeplay away to a certain amount. After oiling the tang open and close the knife a few times. Than wipe all of the residue off. Works for me..
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

As a follow up 3/3/23---I had given my Quick release away and replaced it with KRL Lite. Got in a NOS German that was sticking at 3/4 open. KRL didn't cure the condition so ordered another QR. Wallah, 120% night and day great.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

My workshop is filled with inherited tools,
rows of old glass peanut butter or jelly jars full of Springs and widgets.
extra nuts and bolts from 2 generations of home projects or broken toys.
Cans and bottles of all sorts of solvents and varnishes and inks and paints.

I have a 1970's red and white can of Sears 3 in 1 Oil . . .a little thick but very clear.
It's my "go-to" first choice. . . .

I also have a really old possibly 1940's can of Singer Sewing Machine Oil
with graphite. . . it is super thin and has a black color.

I also have an old glass eyedropper bottle with separate glass dropper
that has a black rubber squeeze bulb. . .
I keep about a 1/4 shot of S.T.P. motor oil treatment.
It's really thick high viscosity, but really really slippery.

And I have a "puffer bottle" like a big pencil, or Sanford's Magic Marker,
that is filled with dry powdered graphite.

I also have a pint of Liquid Mercury metal.
Every time we found old thermometers, or thermostats,
we broke them apart and saved the mercury.

Some metals, like sterling silver, will suck up mercury like a sponge,
Brass will "electroplate" mercury very well, with a 9v battery and white vinegar.
And the mercury brass, now VERY TOXIC, is noticably slippery.

I also have broken bearings made of Babbit. . .
You can rub the Babbit on steel, like lead, and it will leave a slippery film.