Another Fake AKC

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Another Fake AKC

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's gotten so bad that when I get a request to work on a Leverletto, I ask the customer to send me a picture. 9 times out of 10 they are counterfeits.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:30 am It's gotten so bad that when I get a request to work on a Leverletto, I ask the customer to send me a picture. 9 times out of 10 they are counterfeits.
thats because the chinese are pumping out more then the italian makers make. if the italian makers amped up their production you would see more Real genuine AKC or AGA knives but they just dont have enough employees to do so.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

I've always wondered about the manufacturing process of the Italian cutlers compared to the Chinese methods of manufacture. Are the Italian Cutlers doing piece work where an individual worker assembles and fits all the rough components into a finished knife; or is the work done on an assembly line where one worker does one particular job and then passes the knife to another artisan to do the next step in construction and then on to the next until the finished product is done.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

In Italy, 1 or 2 people do the whole knife-probably in production steps.
I doubt we'll ever know how the Chinese do it.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Thanks Tom, the second one was very helpful.
Maybe this is a dumb question.
Do the guys in the shop get paid by the hour or the piece?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Most of the guys in the shops own the shops. They get paid by the order (pieces.)
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

Got an email this morning from Grindworks telling me my snakewood Damascus AKC is in stock again'
Billyfish

Post by Billyfish »

Thanks, Bill.