The first trickle from the hoard !!

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Panzerfaust

Re: The first trickle from the hoard !!

Post by Panzerfaust »

button_man wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:03 am .

Your eyes are doing just fine..... an ordinary fridge magnet won't stick to the button; but a powerful rare earth magnet does.
While nickel is very slightly magnetic, a tiny bit of it like this would not act that way. Everything points to stainless steel.
The pivot pin attracts even a small, very weak magnet and is clearly steel.

Even though you can't narrow down the manufacture of this knife to a rainy Tuesday in August of a certain year,
is there a general range in which it would have been made? 1957 to 1961 or something along those lines...? Thanks!

Jerry makes some good points on this in that no one knows the exact timeline. I would guess it is circa-1960-1963 but I don't know when they stopped making them with tabbed brackets. Regardless, it's an early swivel bolster with the same quality as a picklock, so it is a desirable knife.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Your knife is a "classic" transitional-type stiletto. Your bolsters and buttons are nickel silver, old-type button assembly, thick steel, swedge blade, lined swivel bolster. Very late 1950s to mid 1960s era manufacture.
Some makers may have kept making knives this way until the 1970s.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
button_man

Post by button_man »

A few weeks ago, I was astonished to encounter a guy who not only paid me $20 each for the worthless junkers, but later told me
that he sold them all very quickly and would be interested in getting more! Honestly, I thought that I would probably just end up
tossing them all. You just never know what people will buy. So I have $165 into this transitional, which seems pretty decent.