cleaning and protecting Mother of Pearl scales

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jocko952021

cleaning and protecting Mother of Pearl scales

Post by jocko952021 »

What is the best way to clean, protect and preserve Mother of Pearl scales?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: cleaning and protecting Mother of Pearl scales

Post by Bill DeShivs »

A coat of paste wax is about all you can do.
Scratches and abrasion must be polished out.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
john

Post by john »

Google how to clean, protect or preserve mop. You’ll find your answer.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I just gave him the answer.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
button_man

Post by button_man »

I have been keeping an eye peeled for a treatment to apply occasionally to abalone scales, to prevent cracking over time.
Since abalone is almost all calcium carbonate, which reacts with acids (and is degraded by skin oils transferred by handling a knife)
I figured that any such treatment should therefore be alkaline, to counteract these acids (as well as the acidic compounds found
in modern (polluted) air). Coconut oil seems to be a possible solution, as it is somewhat alkaline:

https://www.terraandco.com/blogs/oil-pu ... oconut-oil

I did a search on paste wax pH and couldn't find much information; however, this one article on carnauba paste wax
indicates that it tends to turn acidic over time, which would be harmful to MoP, abalone, etc. --

"The majority of your car wax is filled with emulsifiers and stabilizers to control the carnauba’s pH to be as close to 7 (neutral) as possible.
What this means is that while the wax is in the jar, all is well. Take the wax out of the jar, apply it to your paint, remove excess, and watch
it shine… then there’s a slight problem. The longer the wax stays on your car, the more acidic it gets – the stabilizers diminish from being
exposed to the environment (sun, water, etc.) and you’re left with a somewhat acidic substance “protecting” your paint."

https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/03 ... rnauba-wax

Granted, your knives are not exposed to the elements like an automobile is..... still, it sounds like it might possibly be cause for concern
over an extended period of time. Moreover, many paste waxes (perhaps most, or even all...?) contain a hodgepodge of complex compounds,
included kerosene, emulsifiers, polyethylene derivatives, ethylbenzene, mineral turpentine, etc. Not being Walter White, I can't say
what effect might be seen over time after applying a devil's brew of such chemicals; but I don't feel comfortable experimenting with
my abalone scales to find out. I dunno; maybe paste wax is perfectly safe.... I just want to be a hundred percent certain.

Right now, I'm so concerned about doing the wrong thing by accident, that I have not used anything at all. I'm sort of leaning toward
the coconut oil though..... since it's a natural substance and alkaline as well. Does anyone here know any research chemists or
organic chemistry experts who can weigh in on this topic......?

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

While wax is safe, putting nothing on pearl is entirely acceptable. It's a very stable, durable material. Coconut oil will make your pearl-oily, that's all.
Unless pearl is stressed, it won't crack over time. Pins that are too tight or flexing can cause it to crack.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Yup . . . . Bill said it. . . .
pearl "Nacre ". . . . .I have pearl inserts on fretboards under steel guitar strings . . .
You'd think a playing a 1970's guitar for all that time would have scratched them up . .

I've cracked pearl by bending it, or forced drilling too fast and dry and hot. . . .
but if the pearl is on a solid base. . . .it should be tough as heck.
Put a thick coat of wax and buff it and it will shine.
Last edited by jerryk25 on Tue May 10, 2022 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

When it comes to reactions like wax on something like a knife scale, think of it as a matter of degree. Throwing a chip of calcium carbonate or abalone or other shell into a beaker full of a concentrated strong acid such as nitric, sulfuric, hydrochloric etc. is one thing. That would likely produce a fast, thorough, and likely visible reaction. Placing a small amount something very mildly acetic on the surface of a knife scale is totally different. Think about it like placing a drop of lemon (or orange or grapefruit) juice (contains citric acid) in your mouth as opposed to drinking a beaker full of concentrated nitric acid, which would be you last drink.

Based on Bill's recommendation, personally I wouldn't hesitate to use paste wax on abalone or MOP. Hope this helps.

Jim