Today's finds

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Panzerfaust

Today's finds

Post by Panzerfaust »

This is my haul from the Tulsa gun show which is in an 11-acre building so there was a lot of walking to find these. The 28 cm kriss picklock is stamped Made Italy 6. It was priced at $650 which was more than I wanted to pay, however, I really wanted it because the blade, other than some minor rust, is unsharpened and in excellent condition. It's the classic "12 Angry Men" switchblade. The smaller stiletto is stamped "Cutly," and the lever lock has a "Pastor Aleman stamp and is in excellent condition. These three knives were from the same seller and he wanted $200 for the Japanese picklock and $100 for the lever lock and a younger man I'm guessing was his son had a look of surprise when he said the price for that one. I asked him how much he would take for all three and after thinking for a few seconds, he said $800 so I bought them. The nine-inch picklock is also Japanese. Front tang is stamped "Patent "SMZ" and on the back is the number, 303965. That one cost $80. The other two knives are false-button, post-ban Japanese knives and the top one is stamped ROMO and the bottom one is a Valor. Those cost $30 for both. It was a tiresome day counting the drive there and home tonight, but I'm pleased with my finds and wished I could have spent more time at the show. There were many antique American switchblades too.
Attachments
Tulsashow2022.jpg
Tulsashow2022.jpg (98.09 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
john

Re: Today's finds

Post by john »

You did good Matt. The Kris is awesome. All the knives look like they’re great shape 👍
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

nice finds Matt.
galvanic1882

Post by galvanic1882 »

Very nice haul, love the jap picklocks
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Nice !!!!!!
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

]Love it. We will do our hunting in June.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Cool beans, Panzerfaust. I love the Kris and the Japanese Picklock.
Fishtail Picklock
button_man

Post by button_man »

Nice finds! The spatulate-blade lever-lock is the most interesting to me, because I've never seen a switchblade with that type of blade.
(I have a manual folder with a similar blade, though.) Is this knife marked with a country of origin?

Is the elevated lock release on the 'dummy button' ROMO supposed to be arse-up in the air like that? --or is this a defect? I've seen one or two knives
like this, and have not been certain which is the case. It doesn't look right to me; I've always thought this appearance meant a defect / problem.

Saw a 'dummy button' Valor just like this one at the flea last week.... but it was in much worse condition: scarred and rusty and really beat.
The seller was trying to promote it as a genuine switch that just needed the spring replaced. Not sure whether he knew better or not.
I clued him in and told him that it wasn't worth anything like the $40 that he was asking, and that IMO it was a ten-dollar knife.
He acted offended and got sort of huffy about it, so I just kept walking. He'll find out the hard way: nobody will buy it. I hope.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

button_man wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:43 pm .

Nice finds! The spatulate-blade lever-lock is the most interesting to me, because I've never seen a switchblade with that type of blade.
(I have a manual folder with a similar blade, though.) Is this knife marked with a country of origin?

Is the elevated lock release on the 'dummy button' ROMO supposed to be arse-up in the air like that? --or is this a defect? I've seen one or two knives
like this, and have not been certain which is the case. It doesn't look right to me; I've always thought this appearance meant a defect / problem.

Saw a 'dummy button' Valor just like this one at the flea last week.... but it was in much worse condition: scarred and rusty and really beat.
The seller was trying to promote it as a genuine switch that just needed the spring replaced. Not sure whether he knew better or not.
I clued him in and told him that it wasn't worth anything like the $40 that he was asking, and that IMO it was a ten-dollar knife.
He acted offended and got sort of huffy about it, so I just kept walking. He'll find out the hard way: nobody will buy it. I hope.
That's a Japanese knife with a bullfighter and bull on the other side. I have never seen a blade like that before.
Fishtail Picklock
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

button_man wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:43 pm .

The lever lock is Japanese although it is not marked as such. The ROMO import I believe was made that way because the knife is in like-new condition.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

the "Romo" dummy button has a bent lock bar.

I've seen a few "Pagoda/Saguaro" bolstered knives with tall lock-buttons.

but this one looks a bit much. . . . It can be fixed. . . .but I wouldn't.
It adds character to the knife.
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

One of my favorite topics on TB is seeing what people find at shows and flea markets, so thank you sir for sharing yours.

And thanks to others for all the good information that follows when folks follow-up with their input and experiences in response. I think I can safely say that I've learned more through posts such as these and look forward to that continuing.

It also reminds me that I need to get out more! When I was younger I spent a lot of time at flea markets, pawn shops, gun and knife shows, and the like. I need to get back out there and "get among them" again, and maybe spend less time scouring the internet for knife deals. Not to mention that the shows and local markets always have so much more variety.

At some point I'll start sharing some of my finds and items from my own nascent collection. Lately, there's not been anything that interesting of which I've come into possession though. That said, I did manage to pick up one of those giant brass and stag Lepre Corsican Revenge pieces a week or so back, and of all places I found it on eBay. It looks interesting standing next to my two much smaller examples from Lepre. I had wanted one back when I saw them available on 3K but never picked one up. I bought it as a reminder that someday I need to add an authentic Italian "vendetta" knife to my collection.

Thanks again to all for making this place one of the few sites I make sure to regularly visit and check out!! Good stuff all around, although I may never finish the backlog of posts and topics I continue to read and "catch-up on!"

Peace.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

NorthCarolinaDude wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:33 am One of my favorite topics on TB is seeing what people find at shows and flea markets, so thank you sir for sharing yours.

And thanks to others for all the good information that follows when folks follow-up with their input and experiences in response. I think I can safely say that I've learned more through posts such as these and look forward to that continuing.

It also reminds me that I need to get out more! When I was younger I spent a lot of time at flea markets, pawn shops, gun and knife shows, and the like. I need to get back out there and "get among them" again, and maybe spend less time scouring the internet for knife deals. Not to mention that the shows and local markets always have so much more variety.

At some point I'll start sharing some of my finds and items from my own nascent collection. Lately, there's not been anything that interesting of which I've come into possession though. That said, I did manage to pick up one of those giant brass and stag Lepre Corsican Revenge pieces a week or so back, and of all places I found it on eBay. It looks interesting standing next to my two much smaller examples from Lepre. I had wanted one back when I saw them available on 3K but never picked one up. I bought it as a reminder that someday I need to add an authentic Italian "vendetta" knife to my collection.

Thanks again to all for making this place one of the few sites I make sure to regularly visit and check out!! Good stuff all around, although I may never finish the backlog of posts and topics I continue to read and "catch-up on!"

Peace.
Finding them the old-fashioned way at shows and flea markets is far more satisfying than buying them online even though it is a lot more work. The Tulsa show is too big and way too crowded for my tastes but the payoff is always worth it because I never leave without buying something. I bought a pre-war flatguard for about 70 bucks at this show in the mid-1990s. I need to get out more too and it sure beats staying at home all weekend!