Questions about modern Stilettos

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jerseymike

Questions about modern Stilettos

Post by jerseymike »

I really appreciate the aesthetic of stiletto knives and have been considering picking one (or more) up. However, I have some questions/concerns after researching them, specifically their utility and durability.

I bought a Frank B swinguard from pvk awhile back (based on cursory research of reputable brands) and was not at all impressed. The knife consistently misfired right out of the box, and only properly engaged a few times. The finish was also less than impressive (but no glaring issues), so I decided to exchange it for another. Pvk was great with the exchange, but the new Frank B swinguard I received had an ~1in crack on the scales by a pin. It seemed to fire fine, but I wasn’t going to keep it with the cracked scale. Frustrated I returned it and decided to do more research (this return was painless as well).

I understand these knives are handmade (mostly?) and that is part of their appeal. Minor imperfections are fine, they make the knife unique, and I actually like to use my knives so I don’t mind them showing wear anyway. This brings me to my first concern.

My impression is that stilettos are only for “toad stabbing” (as it has been described on here), and that the blade is essentially an unsharpened piece of steel that for all intents and purposes can’t be sharpened in a way that they will maintain an edge. If I buy a stiletto I want to actually use and carry it (99% of the time just around my property). My use case is basically everyday house stuff: opening boxes, cutting plastic (i.e. to open packaging), cutting string/cloth, and maybe cutting food. I get that a stiletto is not the ideal knife for this use, but are they really useless to the point where I wouldn’t be able to use them for these tasks? If they become “more blunt” is there no way to simply “improve” the edge (rather than getting paper cutting sharp) without removing significant steel?

My final concern is that these knives won’t hold up under even light use for very long. I understand the reputable repairmen on here stating that modern stiletto safeties are designed to fail. Assuming the knife is used, but not abused, what is the timeline for the safety failing? In addition, what is the expected life for other crucial parts (springs etc?)

I’m debating between picking up a 9” TbarK swinguard or a 9” swivel bolster/picklock Latama. Would either of these be better suited to my use case/longevity, or are they materially the same in these aspects?

I know variations of these questions have been asked repeatedly here (in particular the practical use question), but I want to make as informed a decision as I can, so I just wanted to clarify before I decide to drop $300-500 on an art piece.
sammy the blade

Re: Questions about modern Stilettos

Post by sammy the blade »

These knives were made to stab and dagger and bayonet blade are hard to get sharp. You should look for one with a standard blade if you want to sharpen it. If you want a user get a godson from protech or a Kershaw launch 8. Check out bladehq.com and good luck and don't give up.
2024 candidate for president
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

The design of stilettos is not compatible with hard or even moderate use, but they are fun to collect and your reference to "art piece" can be appropriate. Sammy's suggestions of a Godson or Launch 8 are better choices for a stiletto style knife that will actually be used, in my opinion.

Jim
jerseymike

Post by jerseymike »

Jim & Sammy

Thank you for your replies.
I’ve seen the launch 8, and godson/godfather/Don from Protech and they definitely are close, but not quite the same. They lack the same aesthetic appeal of stilettos, although the Don with the right scales comes close.
john

Post by john »

I’ll beat that dead horse. Traditional Italian stilettos are not made for work. What are they good for: collecting, letter opener, slicing fruit, conversational piece or stabbing.
A possible lever lock worker knife: Mikov, Hubertus, GOM, etc.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
frank2104

Post by frank2104 »

Agreed on the GOM.I have one of their leverlocks and it cuts sausage and boxes and stuff well and is light.Edc from 1998 to 2010 was a spyderco endura at work.Cuts through anything is lightweight and stays sharp.
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

Let me preface my comments by saying that the folding stiletto has been my absolute favorite style of knife ever since I was a small child. And that childhood fascination would grow into a passion that has influenced my interest in stilettos to this day, as well as a lifelong pursuit for what I call "the ultimate stiletto switchblade".

That being said, sadly, I regard most folding stiletto switchblades as toys, or novelties, and not serious knives, or actual weapons.

When it comes to factory/production classic stiletto switchblades, neither the locks, nor the construction, give me much confidence in their durability, or functional longevity.

On the overall spectrum of factory/production stiletto switchblades, I'd put Frank Beltrame near the high-end, but unfortunately that doesn't mean high quality. All of the FB switchblades I've handled had serious issues. The last one I handled, brand new, (11" swivel bolster), had a safety that wouldn't budge, a curved/warped blade (visible with the naked eye), and backwards banana blade. It was junk, and I sent it back for a refund.

I would put LATAMAs at the very high-end of the factory/production quality-spectrum, but I've also seen people have issues with brand new ones. I'd put AGA Campolin, and Renzo Pascotto in between Frank Beltrame and LATAMA. Ironically, LATAMA knives are made by Frank Beltrame, they're just made to higher standards than the normal FB line (which might explain the much higher prices).

As far as "hand made" is concerned, the whole "hand made" or "genuine Italian made" or "made the old fashioned way" doesn't impress me. Plenty of knives made in Pakistan are "hand made". Being "hand made" should not be an excuse for shoddy craftsmanship and poor quality. And it certainly shouldn't come at a premium price without premium quality.

I call them like I see them, and when it comes to many genuine Italian switchblades the emperor has no clothes. In my opinion, the problem is that as long as the knives are selling, the Italians have no motivation to increase quality. And from what I read, the problem is not helped by the fact that production of genuine Italian stilettos is becoming a dying industry.

As far as actual usefulness of stiletto switchblades, it depends on what you want to use one for, what type of blade it has, and of course, it's overall quality/functionality.

I believe a well-built stiletto switchblade, with a flat-ground blade, could be used for a wide variety of LIGHT cutting tasks. Although not an auto, I carried a Kissing Crane stiletto (pictured) for several years from my teens into my 30's, and used it for all manner of LIGHT cutting.

If you get lucky, and get a factory/production stiletto switchblade of decent quality, and if it has a flat-ground blade, or one with a wide grind (like a Pascotto Frosolone), I think it could serve you adequately for LIGHT cutting.

As far as using factory/production stiletto switchblades as actual weapons, like I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't trust them, neither the locks nor the overall construction, and in some cases, not the very thin narrow blades.

The LATAMA's are definitely not suitable for cutting. The blades are 5mm thick with steep grinds. You're not going to get a good cutting edge on those.

None of these comments refer to the Campolin Zero line, I've never handled any. Nor am I talking about stilettos produced by custom makers. I'm only talking about factory/production classic stiletto designs.

On a related note, though not a switchblade, the Cold Steel Ti-Lite 4 actually makes for a very good utility knife. With it's shaving-sharp edge and wide grind it's a rare exception where a stiletto with a bayonet blade makes for a decent cutting tool. I've been carrying one for several years.

Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You guys are forgetting the Leverlettos. They will cut, they have no safety to fail (but they're safe!), they look like stilettos, and they will hold up better than any modern stilettos.
And- they aren't particularly expensive.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:55 am You guys are forgetting the Leverlettos. They will cut, they have no safety to fail (but they're safe!), they look like stilettos, and they will hold up better than any modern stilettos.
And- they aren't particularly expensive.
I've always regarded the Leverletto as a category unto itself. An actual cutting tool rather than a stiletto/stabbing weapon.

Definitely a much better choice for cutting than a "classic" stiletto in my opinion.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Kilgar, I carried a folding non auto 11" stiletto with the clip blade for many years as a teen. I used it for fishing and general cutting needs. I was too uneducated back then to understand it couldn't do all the thinks it actually did ! LOL
The leverletto is a great EDC. A flat or standard blade stiletto will be useful for most cutting needs. My old ( and missed friend) Vagrant carried a 9" stiletto with ATS 34 flat blade and used it for many cutting tasks.....
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

This thread is interesting on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15190&p=195187&hili ... to#p195187
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

Like Kilgar, I've been carrying manual stilettos for years as a utility knife.
Found out the hard way that carrying an auto stiletto in the pocket was not wise , as I had one open in my pocket.
But I recently bought a small stiletto with a flat ground blade and it's plenty sharp for most light cutting tasks.

Carried in a pocket organizer and paired with something more robust , it's fine.
Let's face it , most of us are knife nerds and we don't need much of an excuse to carry a knife we like.

TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

I occasionally carry an older, 8", ex-swing guard( it's missing) flat swedge grind with a carbon blade. Stays razor sharp, has the look, and wasn't that expensive(I think $50) in stag. Nice vintage carry piece to do all those tasks you speak of. Late 60s or more probably 70s knife. IMHO. Taz
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

There is no ONE perfect knife for all occasions.

A stiletto blade is purposefully not really hard as an X-Acto blade.
A hard blade will hold an edge, but it will also snap right off if you threw it at a wood door.

There ARE manual 9 inch folding lockback stilettos that are very hard and hold an edge.
Are Italian, are also tempered correct and tough and won't snap off.
For example, The Edge Company from the 1980's sold a variety of 9 inch stilettos.
1. . . first were all Italian construction Automatics (120's), with wood or plastic or stag handles
2. . . then they had an Italian blade and a "made in Tiawan" handle.
3. . . then there were a few "all Tiawan" knives.
4. . . Finally there were manual folders with cast tilt bolsters.

the number 3 all Tiawan had really brittle blades that would snap if you pried something.
I guess they were incorrectly tempered. . . .
So the No.3's were sharper, but the first generation (1) all italian was a stronger knife.

I have over 200 manual 9 inch folders,
and maybe 30 of them were really good blades.
I sorted them out as I found them, most are too soft to hold an edge.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I also think the angle of the blade bevel has a lot to do with edge keeness.
I think a bayonet blade has too steep of a bevel for correct edge geometry.
and that a plain blade (flat with or without a swedge) has better edge angle.
flat blades are thinner across the majority of the blade width. . .
Thin blades cut better.

All in all a Leverletto with a swedge blade is a really superior stiletto.
But I still like bayonet blades, and prefer gravity flickers over automatics.
frank2104

Post by frank2104 »

A due buoi .heavy but built with a sharp blade.leverletto or gom also for safety and practicality