TOP Automatic OTF

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mario

TOP Automatic OTF

Post by Mario »

Hey guys,

Hope you all had a nice Christmas!

So I bought a TOP Automatic OTF comb on eBay. It was really cheap (less than $10) and figured, “Why not?” It arrived today new in box. After firing it open, I noticed a couple of the tines of the comb were broke off. I fired it closed. Opened it a couple more times and then it detached from the spring carriage, wouldn’t reset and the comb was stuck in the opened position. I unscrewed the bottom and slid the cover off to look at the internals. I reattached the nub on the comb to the front spring hook and put it back together. I fired again and then when I went to fire it back in it came unhooked again. It just doesn’t want to stay hooked to the spring. Is there an easy way to fix this? Apparently this is a common issue with these things.

I guess I could simply take the comb out and get a piece of aluminum and grind it down into a blade and make the thing into an OTF knife.

I’m wondering if those couple tines being broke off is what fucked it up. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Good thing is I didn’t pay much more than $6 shipped for it. I let the seller know so maybe he’ll refund me or send me another one (I think he had several of them).
Last edited by Mario on Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
sammy the blade

Re: TOP Automatic OTF

Post by sammy the blade »

10 bux ain't much especially shipped. You get what you pay for but it should have lasted a little longer than it did.
Last edited by sammy the blade on Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024 candidate for president
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

In the past, when I would purchase cheap autos just for the hell of it, or to experiment with, I'd always buy 3. Not only did that increase my chances of getting at least one good one, but it provided me with enough parts so that I could likely build one good one out of the three. :wink:

Cheap autos really are a crapshoot.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
Mario

Post by Mario »

Killgar wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:40 am In the past, when I would purchase cheap autos just for the hell of it, or to experiment with, I'd always buy 3. Not only did that increase my chances of getting at least one good one, but it provided me with enough parts so that I could likely build one good one out of the three. :wink:

Cheap autos really are a crapshoot.
True dat, Killgar! I’m waiting for the seller to get back to me. I’m either going to get a refund or he’ll send me a new one. Either way, I’ll keep this in case I need to swap out parts if I ever have something else that happens to break.
Mario

Post by Mario »

Good news. The seller is sending me another one. I went ahead and bought another from another seller. Hopefully I’ll have two good ones and one shitty one. Haha!
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Truth be known you'll have three shity ones, lol.
2024 candidate for president
Mario

Post by Mario »

Got a new TOP comb today. This one works! Woohoo!

It is my understanding that the knife versions were originally combs that were disassembled and had blades installed. Were they designed in Germany? Reason I ask is because of the German writing on the box. Seems the combs themselves were manufactured and assembled in Taiwan, so might the packaging have been printed in Germany?