Piranha "Rated R" OTF

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Piranha "Rated R" OTF

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I have been eying this instead of a Microtech.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Piranha-R ... tic--67995

Thoughts? Opinions?
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

Re: Piranha ""Rated R" OTF

Post by sammy the blade »

Don't like the color but each to their own.
2024 candidate for president
button_man

Post by button_man »

You can get almost the exact same style for half the money if you can accept a side-open model.
I bought this Piranha "Prowler" a year ago for $155. The blade is 3.25" instead of 3.5" but otherwise
the knives are remarkably similar.

Attachments
Piranha_Bodyguard_Prowler__O_open_c.jpg
Piranha_Bodyguard_Prowler__O_open_c.jpg (45.99 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
sammy the blade

I be liking that one. I prefer black handed knives but there times when you have to take what the supplier has if you want it bad enough.
Fishtail Picklock

sammy the blade wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:20 pm I be liking that one. I prefer black handed knives but there times when you have to take what the supplier has if you want it bad enough.
I prefer the black handles as well. I prefer the clip-point blade because I'll get more use from it. I have always tended to act as a "practical pig" (f you understand the meaning).
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

Fishtail Picklock wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:44 pm
sammy the blade wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:20 pm I be liking that one. I prefer black handed knives but there times when you have to take what the supplier has if you want it bad enough.
I prefer the black handles as well. I prefer the clip-point blade because I'll get more use from it. I have always tended to act as a "practical pig" (f you understand the meaning).
I'm an inpractical pig, I don't carry my nice knives very often. If I'm in a spot where I have to pry or use a knife as a screwdriver I don't want to be one I put out some good money for. Most of my users I paid $30 or under. One of the reasons I quit buying stilettos. If I have to shank someone I don't want to throw a hundred dollar knife in the river. LOL
Fishtail Picklock

There is nothing quite as impressive as an OTF knife when used. I bought a lady friend a short, (less than 2") Chinese OTF to drop in her pocket as a quick EDC auto. (The police tend not to "pat down" 67-year-old women). Aside from that, I bought her a larger $50 (usually $75) drop point Asian knife from Wackyappksharperboy on All About Pocket Knives. The knife has red accents and a 440C blade.
She likes them.
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

A 67 year old woman with a switchblade is pretty cool in my book!!!
Fishtail Picklock

Well, I ordered the "Rated R" today. By the end of the week, I'll have three OTF knives in my hot little hands. This final OTF should make for an impressive EDC knife. (I'll keep it as "razor-sharp" as I do my Hendrix ViperTec OTF with the M390 blade). 8)
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

sammy the blade wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:29 pm A 67 year old woman with a switchblade is pretty cool in my book!!!
She showed a friend that's an "old hippie" her OTF knives and the 68-year-old broad damned near went into cardiac arrest! What nonsense.
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

button_man wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:35 pm .

You can get almost the exact same style for half the money if you can accept a side-open model.
I bought this Piranha "Prowler" a year ago for $155. The blade is 3.25" instead of 3.5" but otherwise
the knives are remarkably similar.

I'm sorry. The Bayonet blade is okay, but this OTF is bringing a nice 3.5" clip-point blade to the table. This particularly useful profile appeals to me and doesn't carry the "stigma" of being a "toad-stabber" or "pig-sticker" (read: looks menacing). The clip point is fare more utilitarian and raises fewer eyebrows when I use it.

"https://www.bladehq.com/imgs/knives/out ... 995-jr.jpg"
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

Re: Piranha "Rated R" OTF

Blade HQ shipped the Piranha "Rated-R" OTF today. (I'll have it in my grubby paws by tomorrow afternoon). What could be more impressive than that? 8) :mrgreen:

BTW, my landlord is impressed by the knife! (That's handy, isn't it)?
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

Re: Piranha "Rated R" OTF

I do believe that I snagged that last of the blue-handled, black firing-slide, mirror-polished, clip-point blade models. To paraphrase the immortal words of Duke The Crow from the 1972 X-rated animated feature film Fritz The Cat, "I think it has coolness" 8) :mrgreen:

VICTORY from the jaws of defeat! ::tu::
Fishtail Picklock