Fake AKC

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Tom19176

Fake AKC

Post by Tom19176 »

Well clearly they are selling China made Counterfiet AKCs Says China in the specs detail.....

https://www.grindworx.com/item--AKC-10- ... wpjb0k7z1w
Tom19176

Re: Fake AKC

Post by Tom19176 »

SPECIFICATIONS
Overall Length:10.00"
Blade Length:4.25"
Cutting Edge:4.00"
Blade Width:0.625"
Blade Thickness:0.10"
Blade Material:Stainless Steel
Blade Style:Bayonet
Blade Grind:Flat
Finish:Satin
Edge Type:Plain
Handle Length:5.50"
Handle Width:0.75"
Handle Thickness:0.75"
Handle Material:Acrylic
Color:Black
Weight:5.15 oz.
User:Right Hand
Sheath:Nylon
Knife Type:Automatic
Opener:Push Button
Lock Type:Back Lock
Brand:AKC
Model:10" Shinguard
Country of Origin:China
Best Use:Collection
Product Type:
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

I didn't want to believe it but that one certainly does look like the approx 10 inch sold on Wish, Ali and so forth, with black and snakewood scales. And it's pretty much confirmed with the model listed as a "10 inch Shinguard"...I mean, what the heck Grindworx? Also noted that they pointed out, with quotes, the tang stamp as being "AKC Italy." And it's a bit offensive as well to suggest this knife is a perfect piece to begin, or enhance, your Italian collection!

If it is intentional then they have a responsibility to make more clear the fact that this is a "clone" or, simply, a Chinese copy!

And also, if intentional, I'm beginning to wonder if they're getting out of the Italian stilettos game...I mean this sort of behavior is certainly what you'd expect if they were on that path as it'll alienate customers as well as suppliers!

Nevertheless, if this is up your alley then skip places like Grindworx and go straight to Wish where you can pick it up for half that price! So sad.

Peace. Scott.
Mario

Post by Mario »

They just added this faux ivory Swinguard to the site. Notice in the specs that it says this one is from Italy.

https://www.grindworx.com/item--AKC-10- ... ard--37955

Somebody needs to just order one of these from them and see if the products match up with the listing on the site. I saw in the other thread that some were thinking Grindworx may have gotten a few SKM 13” stilettos that they mistakenly listed as AKC. They may have a new tech person who’s just lazy and used photos of the AKC clones.

For the record, AKC has done traditional stilettos and swinguards before. I can post links to some videos of the genuine ones versus the clones.
Mario

Post by Mario »

Here’s a genuine AKC orange pearlex. Notice it has the brass liners and single pin on the back near the top bolster. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vLnojyiKZy8

Here’s an AKC clone. Forgive the goofy antics of the guy doing this video. 😂 Notice the liners are all stainless and it has two pins on the back near the top bolster.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=14jXtpeW9TE
Last edited by Mario on Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mario

Post by Mario »

Here are a couple genuine AKC swinguards in this old video from the late JW of JWBulletsNBlades.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=whSx9B7CZqY

Notice on these that the pin placement is similar but slightly different than the clones. They also have the two pins on the back near the top bolster but the positioning of the safety is different.
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

It seems as if both versions were manufactured at the same facility and somehow the batches' got mixed with the domestic batch being exported and went undetected until a user scrutinized one carefully.
Mario

Post by Mario »

These look like genuine AKCs. The 9” has brass liners and the single pin on the back near the top.

https://www.grindworx.com/item--AKC-9-W ... rlex--3914

https://www.grindworx.com/item--AKC-11-Sim-Ivory--7109
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I wouldn’t touch an AKC marked classic style stiletto with a 10 foot pole. With all the questions on legit or not, why bother? Still have Frank Beltrame and SKM available in these sizes.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

Curiosity won out and I ordered one of the Grindworx AKC swing guards in stag.

I don't know what they were selling when this thread was started a few months ago, but the knife I got is definitely not a China counterfeit.

The counterfeit knives are slightly larger, have a different AKC logo and the blade shape is different.

While the knife I received does have a stainless frame, it has a single kick spring and not the 2 piece tubular spring the counterfeit has. I researched AKC SG's and read that they've used stainless frames in the past.

For $80 the quality is not bad, the only nit picks I could find is a little play in the open position and the stag is a little lack luster.
My expectations were not high because I expected to get a knock-off, but I'm happy with what I received.

NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

JPD1998 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:15 pm Curiosity won out and I ordered one of the Grindworx AKC swing guards in stag.

I don't know what they were selling when this thread was started a few months ago, but the knife I got is definitely not a China counterfeit.

The counterfeit knives are slightly larger, have a different AKC logo and the blade shape is different.
I noticed these when they arrived as well and agree that they don't appear to be the same ones discussed from last year. I also noticed that they recently stocked some new Frank Bs. I hear Frank swingers will be more available soon too. Seems to be the "season."

It's worth noting that the AKC EVO OTFs are designated as Italian designed but appear to be manufactured via Taiwan, even printed so on the box. That said, I don't know about this batch of side openers and whether they're assembled there also. I doubt it. If anything rest assured that these don't appear to be the 10" clones that showed up briefly in 2021 and caused some discussion.

Can anyone confirm they're assembled in Italy? GW/BHQ does state Italy on their site as country of origin, which I assume accurate while noting the ones previously discussed showed as China on origin before that info was later changed.

Peace.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

JDP1998's knife sure looks Chinese to me.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:46 pm JDP1998's knife sure looks Chinese to me.
If it is he sure got burned for $80
2024 candidate for president
john

Post by john »

The safety slot looks very wide, the button hole looks too big for the button or the button is too small for the button hole and I can’t recall seeing a register mark (R in a circle) on the AKC logo before. Probably a knock off.
JDP send a photo to Angelo at 3knives see what he says about the knife.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

I bought a damascus one from blade headquarters(Grindworx0 Is mine real or fake? I have purchased from them many times and always good. The swinger i received is very nice. I will post a picture or two and maybe someone can tell me if it's the old fake a roo?