Boker Magnum

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
rapidboy1

Boker Magnum

Post by rapidboy1 »

Does the Boker Magnum have a recess alreday cut for a spring?
I know some of the Top Locks do and some dont.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Dont know myself, all the ones I have were already springified.
My limited understanding is that its a pretty simple conversion.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. rapidboy1,

Why would you want to convert one when you can buy a nice factory auto for about $20 buck dollars?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
mypetelvis

Post by mypetelvis »

JerrBear wrote:Mr. rapidboy1,

Why would you want to convert one when you can buy a nice factory auto for about $20 buck dollars?
Very true.
The conversion spring alone costs $6. (or $6 buck dollars in Jerr speak)
The manual knife is about $15. Plus shipping for both. Getting one that is already "springified" would actually be cheaper, and you don't have to worry about screwing it up. (Then the cost of knife goes up to $30)
If you already have the manual knife, get the auto, too. It's a collection, you need one of each anyways. :D

M.P.E.
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

I don't own a Magnum yet but i have heard that conversion quality varies as with the Top Lock conversions.
I don't know how to tell if a Magnum is auto from the factory or if it has been converted.
And i simply like to take things apart and modify them.
I've always stayed away from tanto blades but am considering a Magnum tanto as an EDC to try the blade style before i buy an expensive tanto blade.
It's like with serated edges ,i bought a couple of expensive serated blades before i realised i just can't get along with them.
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Well, in that case, buy one and a spring, take it apart and see what ya find. Im pretty sure youll be able to convert it, but if you cant, you can at least figure out if you like the tanto blade.
Its a good knife for the price and a good edc/beater knife.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

rapidboy1 wrote:I don't own a Magnum yet but i have heard that conversion quality varies as with the Top Lock conversions.
I don't know how to tell if a Magnum is auto from the factory or if it has been converted.
And i simply like to take things apart and modify them.
I've always stayed away from tanto blades but am considering a Magnum tanto as an EDC to try the blade style before i buy an expensive tanto blade.
It's like with serated edges ,i bought a couple of expensive serated blades before i realised i just can't get along with them.
If a Tanto "fits" the type of cuts [mostly long straight ones]you make it is a joy if you make a lot of twisting, turning, irregular cuts [like some types of skinning or cutting shims/gaskets for example] it's a pain, [in my opinion]. I don't think a Tanto is as [easily] adaptable as a drop point or clip point but someone whos worked with one a lot can make it adapt to their uses. Starting with an economy one is a good way to see how well it works for you.
ateam940

magnum

Post by ateam940 »

Hello. The Magnum is an easy conversion, they are all the same although some springs are better than others. I had bought a non auto by accident and when buying another I mentioned my dilemma in the email. This second dealer (PJs Knives - Paul Byers) sent me an extra spring gratis plus I bought one from the original dealer. PJs spring was much better quality with machined ends, not cutoffs, so it was easier to keep in position while getting the knife back together. The original dealer did nothing wrong so he will remain nameless but PJs Knives definately tried harder and would get my business again. Dave
rapidboy1

Post by rapidboy1 »

Thanks guys
Im gona try one, i'll let you know how i get on.
Jay

Post by Jay »

The non-auto Magnums are already milled for the spring. But you will still have to drill the blade.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Blade and drill in the same sentance means carbide drill to do it right. To keep it steady and straight a drillpress is a good idea. Yes you can do it other ways but most are not as good.
butch

Post by butch »

I own one of all the boker magnums,at $20.00 a knife, its easier just to buy them with them spring in them already.

Butch