AGA Picklock vs Frank Beltrame Picklock?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
moltenmag

AGA Picklock vs Frank Beltrame Picklock?

Post by moltenmag »

So I’m new to stiletto switchblades and I really want a 9” heirloom Picklock switchblade to pass down when I get older. I’ve read a little and heard that older style Picklocks are better quality than swivel bolster. Between Frank Beltrame and Aga Campolin Picklocks (not swivel bolster) which one has the better quality? Also where can I buy them?

Thanks for the help!
JulesVane

Re: AGA Picklock vs Frank Beltrame Picklock?

Post by JulesVane »

My thoughts: The traditional/classic style of A.G.A. Campolin picklocks, as in the 10”-5mm, and the 11” & 13” wasp body flatguard picklocks, are made by Renzo Pascotto and made the way of the 40’s & 50’s. With NS hardware, 2-piece slip in spring and old school “D” stamped liners. The Frank Beltrame picklocks, including the ones he makes for Walt, lack the “D” stamped liners, and 2-piece springs. I have some nice Frank B picklocks, but the Renzo Pascotto/A.G.A. Campolin’s are my first choice.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
moltenmag

Post by moltenmag »

JulesVane wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:39 pm My thoughts: The traditional/classic style of A.G.A. Campolin picklocks, as in the 10”-5mm, and the 11” & 13” wasp body flatguard picklocks, are made by Renzo Pascotto and made the way of the 40’s & 50’s. With NS hardware, 2-piece slip in spring and old school “D” stamped liners. The Frank Beltrame picklocks, including the ones he makes for Walt, lack the “D” stamped liners, and 2-piece springs. I have some nice Frank B picklocks, but the Renzo Pascotto/A.G.A. Campolin’s are my first choice.
Awesome. Thanks for the clarification. Any idea on where I can find an AGA Picklock? Tried googling “Aga campolin for sale” and keep finding the same 3-4 dealers.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

moltenmag wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:47 pm
Awesome. Thanks for the clarification. Any idea on where I can find an AGA Picklock? Tried googling “Aga campolin for sale” and keep finding the same 3-4 dealers.
Unfortunately, there hasn't been a run of the 10"-5mm, since 2016, and the 11" and 13" flatguard picklocks are very popular, so they sell from online sources pretty darn quick. If you find any, it will likely be from a private source. Check our Buy/Sell section here on this forum. I believe a member had some of the 11"/13" flatguard picklocks for sale recently.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
moltenmag

Post by moltenmag »

JulesVane wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:23 pm
Unfortunately, there hasn't been a run of the 10"-5mm, since 2016, and the 11" and 13" flatguard picklocks are very popular, so they sell from online sources pretty darn quick. If you find any, it will likely be from a private source. Check our Buy/Sell section here on this forum. I believe a member had some of the 11"/13" flatguard picklocks for sale recently.
Really appreciate the info. I just saw an ebony 11” sold. What handle material is the most durable? I love the classic look of wood but I wouldn’t want it to crack and split over time.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

moltenmag wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:32 pm
Really appreciate the info. I just saw an ebony 11” sold. What handle material is the most durable? I love the classic look of wood but I wouldn’t want it to crack and split over time.
I don't think the hardwoods used, such as Ebony, Cocobolo or Snakewood, would ever let you down. I've followed Bill's advice on a neutral (clear) shoe polish on both wood and horn. I suppose any material is capable of warping or cracking if mishandled or abused, ie: accidental dropping.

Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Moltenmag,

Look to Jeremy Kreis. He can build you the picklock you wish.

Good luck
Fishtail Picklock
moltenmag

Post by moltenmag »

Fishtail Picklock wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:34 pm Moltenmag,

Look to Jeremy Kreis. He can build you the picklock you wish.

Good luck
Ok. That sounds cool. How can I contact him?
john

Post by john »

Send Jerry a PM his screen name JimBrown257
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

That was me who bought Peiper's 2 ebony AGA flat-guards and let me tell you, the pictures don't do the ebony justice. It's not really a photogenic wood but in person it's stunning with color variance and grain. They're absolute rock solid knives too.

He still has, at this time, an 11 inch abalone left. If you want a real deal Campolin picklock, this is the knife to buy. It's a wasp body too. I am still debating my conscious over the spend since I have another knife I'm seeking at the moment but if nobody snags it soon I will likely buy that one from him too. He sells well cared for knives and ships expediently. Can't recommend enough. Outside of the additional spend, I don't have any abalone knives. It's just never spoken to me. But this one is trying hard to convince me otherwise within my brain right now!! Eat, pay bills or buy more knives??! It's a constant battle of one's conscious!! Argh.

Peace. Scott.
moltenmag

Post by moltenmag »

NorthCarolinaDude wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:06 am
That was me who bought Peiper's 2 ebony AGA flat-guards and let me tell you, the pictures don't do the ebony justice. It's not really a photogenic wood but in person it's stunning with color variance and grain. They're absolute rock solid knives too.

He still has, at this time, an 11 inch abalone left. If you want a real deal Campolin picklock, this is the knife to buy. It's a wasp body too. I am still debating my conscious over the spend since I have another knife I'm seeking at the moment but if nobody snags it soon I will likely buy that one from him too. He sells well cared for knives and ships expediently. Can't recommend enough. Outside of the additional spend, I don't have any abalone knives. It's just never spoken to me. But this one is trying hard to convince me otherwise within my brain right now!! Eat, pay bills or buy more knives??! It's a constant battle of one's conscious!! Argh.

Peace. Scott.
Haha nice! I hope you like them. Unfortunately the Abalone one is out of my price range at the moment plus I prefer the classic wooden handle aesthetic. Ebony is such a classy looking wood. I have a CRK mnandi in ebony that I love.
moltenmag

Post by moltenmag »

john wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:25 pm Send Jerry a PM his screen name JimBrown257
Thanks! I tried to PM him twice and my messages are stuck in my outbox? Have you had this issue?
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

The message will stay in the box till the the reviewer opens the pm.
2024 candidate for president
moltenmag

Post by moltenmag »

sammy the blade wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:11 pm The message will stay in the box till the the reviewer opens the pm.
Oh I didn’t know that. Learned something new today…