Does anyone have any misgivings about the Pirahna line?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Does anyone have any misgivings about the Pirahna line?

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Do the Pirahna knives tend to unintentionally fire in the pocket while they're carried? I watched a YouTube about a man that said his Pirahna "X" suffered from this problem.

A little input, please?
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fishtail Picklock
NorthCarolinaDude

Re: Does anyone have any misgivings about the Pirhana line?

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

For myself, I love the value you get for your dollar. I have 3 of them. And, hands down, awesome logo!!

That said, when I carry one in my pocket, I almost always give any knife free floating in a pocket, exclusive residence. I never carry keys, coins, etc., in the same pocket with a knife. I know that can cause problems, and it also isn't easy on the finish. I've yet to have one trigger when it shouldn't but would think it as likely as any other button open without a safety roaming in one's pocket. Safeties are nice but when one's not present I'd not be surprised with such an event, especially when the carrier is more active. Now, should that become a frequent complaint with a given design, then yes, I'd agree it may be a flaw. It's just I haven't heard an unusual amount of claims this is happening with that particular make and model. Maybe I'm just not looking for it and it really is an issue, but again here, I have not yet to experience it. Peace.
Fishtail Picklock

NorthCarolinaDude wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:40 am For myself, I love the value you get for your dollar. I have 3 of them. And, hands down, awesome logo!!

That said, when I carry one in my pocket, I almost always give any knife free-floating in a pocket, exclusive residence. I never carry keys, coins, etc., in the same pocket with a knife. I know that can cause problems, and it also isn't easy on the finish. I've yet to have one trigger when it shouldn't but would think it as likely as any other button open without a safety roaming in one's pocket. Safeties are nice but when one's not present I'd not be surprised with such an event, especially when the carrier is more active. Now, should that become a frequent complaint with a given design, then yes, I'd agree it may be a flaw. It's just I haven't heard an unusual amount of claims this is happening with that particular make and model. Maybe I'm just not looking for it and it really is an issue, but again here, I have yet to experience it. Peace.
I'll trot this right out.

I have been looking hard at the Pirhana "Virus" to carry in my slacks pocket. (Gasp)! I almost never wear Denim trousers. :shock: :o If I'm not carrying my Yellow Delrin CV Case Peanut in my change pocket (without any change, of course). I'm usually carrying either my 4" Italian plain blade or my 6.25" Oreste DiBon Fishtail Picklock.

IMHO, the size of the "Virus" is just right for full-sized pocket carry. Were it any larger, it would make driving either Jaguar uncomfortable. if it were any smaller, it wouldn't be large enough to tackle (and subdue) the larger cutting tasks. (YMMV).

Any more input? I'll listen.
Fishtail Picklock
button_man

Post by button_man »

I sometimes carry my 'Virus' clipped inside my jeans pocket and have never had a mishap. I concur with NCDude that just having the knife toss around in a pocket with other objects is unwise -- it will scratch the finish all to hell; and a coin or key could press on the button as you're moving around (especially as you sit down) and cause it to deploy. Having the knife suspended above other items via the clip minimizes this risk.

The 'Virus' button is smaller and flatter than most Italian stilettos; and it is also somewhat recessed inside a little "well".
These factors are important because the button seems to have a lighter "trigger pull" than many Italian stilettos.

Did this YouTube guy offer any details as to HOW he carried his knife? If he took precautions such as mentioned here, that's one thing;
if he didn't, that's quite another kettle of scrod. The world is full of people who are stupid and careless and then blame an inanimate
object instead of themselves.

Fishtail Picklock

button_man wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:12 am .

I sometimes carry my 'Virus' clipped inside my jeans pocket and have never had a mishap. I concur with NCDude that just having the knife toss around in a pocket with other objects is unwise -- it will scratch the finish all to hell; and a coin or key could press on the button as you're moving around (especially as you sit down) and cause it to deploy. Having the knife suspended above other items via the clip minimizes this risk.

The 'Virus' button is smaller and flatter than most Italian stilettos; and it is also somewhat recessed inside a little "well".
These factors are important because the button seems to have a lighter "trigger pull" than many Italian stilettos.

Did this YouTube guy offer any details as to HOW he carried his knife? If he took precautions such as mentioned here, that's one thing;
if he didn't, that's quite another kettle of scrod. The world is full of people who are stupid and careless and then blame an inanimate
object instead of themselves.

No, the man just illustrated how the release button wasn't "flush" as those on the Pro-Tech Sprint and Godson. (He used camera angles to illustrate his point). Aside from that, I believe that the "Virus" is just about the right size for pocket carry. (I think the drop-point blade profile is good for EDC too).
Fishtail Picklock
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

It's a great knife. I understand that when they started they used old, sawmill blades to do the blades (father owned sawmills). Not sure on current blades.
john

Post by john »

054DDB0D-C4AF-4B49-B0E4-6D7598132FA7.jpeg
054DDB0D-C4AF-4B49-B0E4-6D7598132FA7.jpeg (254.58 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
Good looking knife!
I could not find a side view; can the button be filled down?
Last edited by john on Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Fishtail Picklock

Today I bought one from Tazman Tom. This will wind up being #1 in my "pocket clip" rotation. (There isn't much better than a 3" mirror-polished S30VN blade to carry for your daily tasks). The drop-point blade is very useful and holds an edge rather well.

I LOVE it when a great knife plan comes together!
Fishtail Picklock