For the leverlock geeks

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

Re: For the leverlock geeks

Post by button_man »

I wonder why so many of these small-ish EDC German springers have blades with nail nicks? I only have three such knives, and none of them have nail nicks. I think I posted these photos a couple years ago, but here they are again anyway. All three came from the flea on the same day, albeit from two different sellers - - the 7¾" Baron and 8" Horster with stag scales cost me 125 each; the 8" Schloß Garantiert with nice dyed bone scales was a bargain at 40.

Just watched "Horror Hotel" (1960) with Christopher Lee on TCM -- about 5 minutes before the movie ends, a cult member whips out one of these springers with shell-puller guards and a clip-point blade! It just got added to the Movie Lists. (Interesting to see the different switchblades that show up in films made outside the USA.)

Attachments
Baron__8134_c.jpg
Baron__8134_c.jpg (91.84 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
Horster__8158.jpg
Horster__8158.jpg (174.29 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
Schloß__8177_C.jpg
Schloß__8177_C.jpg (247.32 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

button_man wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:26 am .

I wonder why so many of these small-ish EDC German springers have blades with nail nicks? I only have three such knives, and none of them have nail nicks. I think I posted these photos a couple years ago, but here they are again anyway. All three came from the flea on the same day, albeit from two different sellers - - the 7¾" Baron and 8" Horster with stag scales cost me 125 each; the 8" Schloß Garantiert with nice dyed bone scales was a bargain at 40.

It's in case the kick spring breaks is what I have heard although I would have no interest in carrying a leverlock with a broken spring and would either have it repaired, buy another one or carry a different knife. Your knives are Italian.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

button man could those three be made in Italy for the German market? They have an Italian look to them?
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I was thinking the same thing, Tom. At least from the photos, they have the look of Massaro built knives.

Bill D - thoughts?

Jim
button_man

Post by button_man »

I don't have sufficient knowledge to respond.... in what way do they look like Italian manufacture, instead of German?
This looks like it's shaping up to be a good Learning Opportunity, which after all is why I'm here --

jim d,

Post by jim d, »

button_man, here are a few things that made me think Italian, not German. Remember that with our hobby, it seems like there are exceptions to nearly every rule.

Look at the top the levers. From the photo, they look rounded a bit. Typically, German ones are flat.

The bolsters look like ss from the photos. German leverlocks typically have ns bolsters. A test with a magnet can quickly confirm the composition.

Look at the overall shape of the knives. Then look at a comparable sized German model. It is hard to define, but there is a differences. Come to think of it, you raised a good point. There has to be a way to measure the differences, I just haven't calculated it.

Jim
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Those are all Italian. The hollow front bolsters are the easiest way to spot the Italian lever locks.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
john

Post by john »

Very cool set, they look like GOM made knives.
Nice additions to your collection!
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
jocko952021

Post by jocko952021 »

All good to know. Especially that others share my Jones for lever locks. Always looking to learn more. Is there anyway to determine whether a black scale is composite or Delrin? Does it make a difference in value or longevity?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

No way that I know of.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.