11-inch picklocks

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
portlandmike

Re: 11-inch picklocks

Post by portlandmike »

Tom19176 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:28 pm IMG_2238.JPG a few more
Wow !!
button_man

Post by button_man »

No wonder they don't turn up very often.... Tom has 'em all....!

Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

I agree about being my favorite size too. Here are a few.
28cmPicklocks (1).jpg
28cmPicklocks (1).jpg (133.6 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Oooo. . .I like the horn on the far right. . . looks like an oldie.
sear hole ramp. . . .nice blade lines. . . .red dot safety. . . .
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

jerryk25 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:13 pm Oooo. . .I like the horn on the far right. . . looks like an oldie.
sear hole ramp. . . .nice blade lines. . . .red dot safety. . . .
Panamex/Finecut
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Panamex/Finecut !!! Outstanding horn but even better stamp.

Jim
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Nice ones !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

jim d, wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:09 pm Panamex/Finecut !!! Outstanding horn but even better stamp.

Jim
what Jim said.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Would someone care to explain the attraction of the "false button" stiletto? I remember the ads for them in some of the old magazines. As I recall, the ads, and the knives, surfaced during the late 1950s and early 1960s after the Federal Switchblade Knife ban went into effect. (This isn't a facetious question, my curiosity has honestly been piqued).
Fishtail Picklock
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

For some of us, it is nostalgia. Despite years of yearning, I could never obtain a real switchblade until I did my fateful internet search for "switchblade" What I could and did obtain are false button stilettos. That is the appeal for me. I think it is analogous to the appeal of Rizzutos. They were the first real switchblade for many collectors and they bring back memories.

Jim
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Switchblades were hard to find when I first became interested in them in about 1980. They may have been available at some of the larger knife shows and also gun shows, but I had no means to attend any shows when I was in my early teens. It took me almost six years to obtain my first Italian stiletto. I had a false button Japanese stiletto I bought on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls in 1984 that I later sold. I wish I had kept it, but it was a poorly constructed knife with lots of blade play.
button_man

Post by button_man »

I only got my first fake-button knife a couple years ago, so it's not nostalgia with me. It's hard to explain why I like them. Usually I dislike anything that pretends to be something it's not.... but these have a charming dorkiness to them, like a homely dog. Part of the appeal is that these were the last gasp
of a bygone era.... an acknowledgement that switchblades were so popular that people would buy a knife that merely resembled the real thing.

They were also a sort of subtle "up yours" by the 'little people' who didn't have political clout, to the pompous pontificators who were bleating about
The Menace To Society. "They can take away our switchblades but they can't stop us from loving them!" That's definitely part of the appeal too.

* hands the cheroot back to Fishtail for correct spelling of "pique" *

NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

Tom, I don't know if you're a rider, but your pics remind me of a classic biker story I have heard and read a couple of times since the late 60's or early 70s...

Likely more tale than reality...but...

It goes that the man lost a family member riding a certain type of Honda, so he started hoarding these specific motorcycles to keep them off the road, and time, as it does, passed and so did he, with a warehouse full of them in the late 80's. All classics like CBs and such.

That tool chest would be the hoard. An amazing witness to the story of us all, collections and collectors!

Very nice stash, indeed! Peace. Scott.